Silly thread idea - 'build' the best XP PC for £35

Soldato
Like I'm sure a lot of us do, I browse eBay quite a lot for retro PC stuff but don't actually buy things (sometimes!). This gave me an idea about a little game, if there is any interest:

Who can "build" the best XP PC for £35?

I don't mean actually build it (unless there is a lot of interest in that and people could benchmark to see who actually has the fastest build, and people who gamble on oem motherboards might be out of luck with their power supply etc), just select the parts.

I assumed I had the following boring bits:
  • Case
  • Monitor
  • PSU
  • DVD Drive
  • Mouse Keyboard
  • XP OS
This leaves me needing the following:
  • Motherboard
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • HDD
  • GPU
I looked online and locally (within Southampton only) and included the cost of delivery.

IYz8Rl5.png
nothing interesting but it comes with 2GB RAM

XWHOCFE.png
Nice enough CPU upgrade

Xjia6EB.png
80GB SATA HDD - will be fine for those 1GB to 8GB sized XP era games

czzuAzm.png
Probably overkill GPU but preferable to a £8 AMD 5450 or something similarly meh.

This lot comes to £33.39.

Considering this is pretty high spec already, I'm wondering whether to up the budget but include a case and power supply, or perhaps lower the budget to make it a bit more challenging.

I did look locally and there is an i3 PC with 6GB of RAM for £30 but that kind of spoils it a bit. Also I'm sure I could put a wanted ad on the mm and be basically given some of this stuff but again that sort of spoils the spirit of my challenge!

Would there be any interest in this?

Soldato
from members market "Skt 775 bundle
Asus P5K Premium motherboard, Q8400 CPU and 4 x 1gb DDR2 800 Ram
Comes in original motherboard box with i/o shield.
Ram is 3 x OCZ and 1 x Kingston (one of the 4 ocz sticks pictured is faulty but will be included and i stuck in a Kingston stick i have just to make it 4gb again)

£40 INC"

then add one of those 9800s. Or even the 3870x2 I got from FBMP for £15.

Upping the budget just slightly makes this very competitive :p

Back
Top Bottom