• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Soldato
Price is dictated by demand. No one in their right mind is going to consider a GV104, for example, thinking that a 1080TI is of equivalent value.

In other words, it's not Nvidia who will dictate the price of, by then, last gen stock. It's retailers who will react according to demand. Either they want to get rid of inventory to make room for new inventory or they don't have inventory to consider.

With that in mind, I would expect prices of 1080/1080TI to drop to remove inventory when the GV104 is the more attractive alternative between the 2.

Edit:

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180726PD211.html

Summary:
Again, no demand, no high prices. Prices must be reduced in order to attract demand. So, it would make a lot more sense to wait until this type of situation is created as it's the best time to buy. It's a "Buyer's Market" do to weak demand.

Lol nice link. You forgot to include this bit

Most graphics card players currently still have high levels of GTX 1080/1070 graphics card inventory, but are not willing to lower prices to clear them, as they still hope cryptocurrency mining can regain its momentum.

With the prices of the current-generation graphics cards to remain at high levels, the next-generation devices are likely to be priced even higher in order to create differentiation, but this will also deter demand for the new cards, the sources noted.

Your own article says exactly what I did :p Of course supply and demand will have a factor but it isn't going to shift much as regardless of price, the new cards are still going to sell out in hours on launch. Quite simply, the new gen cards will not be the same prices as the current.

Soldato
Lol nice link. You forgot to include this bit

Your own article says exactly what I did :p Of course supply and demand will have a factor but it isn't going to shift much as regardless of price, the new cards are still going to sell out in hours on launch. Quite simply, the new gen cards will not be the same prices as the current.
Well, the article explained why that train of thought was not going to work. It didn't ignore it though.

Most graphics card players currently still have high levels of GTX 1080/1070 graphics card inventory, but are not willing to lower prices to clear them, as they still hope cryptocurrency mining can regain its momentum.
but this will also deter demand for the new cards, the sources noted.

It addressed your thought on it and explained why it wasn't feasible. So, I simply got to the point of the article.
:)

Last edited:
Soldato
the big problem is how weak the pound has become, 15yr ago it was over 2:1, now its pretty much 1:1 and that has a dramatic impact on PC hardware prices in general in the UK compared to 15yr ago.

Lol. You retailers love peddling this whopper, don't you? It's always been your convenient 'get out of jail free' card when justifying the exorbitant prices of PC components in the UK.

I've been buying stuff on this site for over 15yrs and not once in all that time has the exchange rate been truly reflective of the prices you've charged, not once. Whether the £ was close to its long term average of £1=$1.55 , there's never been more than a 20% price difference between UK & US prices, even when the exchange rate was at its most favourable.

Soldato
Yeah, it wears thin after a while. I've always bought the top cards of the time and in the 90s it was around £130, in the 00's it was 200-300...now its 700, but if miners want them they become a grand.

I know there are many factors...but it's just depressing.

Soldato
At the time it was worth it.

Now I really don't think a gfx at that price is worth it. And I'm fairly well off and play games and like good graphics...so as a demographic I fit in to the target customer. And even I'm holding off buying.

Soldato
Well, the article explained why that train of thought was not going to work. It didn't ignore it though.

It addressed your thought on it and explained why it wasn't feasible. So, I simply got to the point of the article.

10 series prices have stayed the same, new cards higher. Some people are complaining the 10 series card have been going up. Going to eat your words yet?

Soldato
10 series prices have stayed the same, new cards higher. Some people are complaining the 10 series card have been going up. Going to eat your words yet?
There are none to be observed in your regard given the context of your post. Again, this is in discussion of the article and my response is in regards of the article:

This is what I based my post off of. If you want to disagree then take it up with the author. Don't attack the messenger.

Soldato
To answer the question

If you can get a 1080 Ti in good condition for about £350 then yes.

Else in the near future the 1170 will turn up with similar performance for around £400.

Do you still stand by this mate?

The 1170/2070 is going to offer 1080ti performance?

Soldato
There are none to be observed in your regard given the context of your post. Again, this is in discussion of the article and my response is in regards of the article:

This is what I based my post off of. If you want to disagree then take it up with the author. Don't attack the messenger.

Apologies, above quote was misleading. I meant your response to the originally quoted post below:

The prices of the 1080ti wont drop by much at all (new at least). They will just price the 1180 etc higher.

I quoted the part I did as you explained why that article said that way of thinking wasn't feasible. Well it was, because so far that is what has happened :p

Hope that makes sense and not sarcastic or anything lol :)

Soldato
For me no not silly, since the next cards are replacing DVI with a weird usb-c connector.
I will eventually need to upgrade, dont need to now, but since when I do need to upgrade DVI wont be available I will get a 1080ti if its reasonably priced.

To me thats £500-550 used within warranty or £650 or less new for a 2.5+ slot card not blower.

Soldato

Ha! Reads like a cop out answer to me. I'm not saying you fella, but I see so many people unwilling to just say 'I was wrong' on these forums, and it baffles me.

My guesstimations were utterly out, I stated categorically there would be a ti, and that it would be 9ish months after 2080 release. I said that we'd see a marginal price increase, and a significant drop on Pascal. I was way, way out; totally wrong about everything except there being a ti, which was pretty obvious. When I next came on the forums I said as much, and even acknowledged the other dude I was debating with, who was right.

Anways, I'm still gobsmacked by the price and utterly turned off the new gen. But their plan is working, because I'm more tempted to buy a 1080ti than ever. Which is bonkers considering it's a two year old architecture that's been superceded by a new gen. What a clever way to get rid of old stock, with a different 'RTX' moniker, bold 'new' tech and utterly obscene pricing, say what you want about the gouging, greedy barstewards, but they can sure turn a profit.

That being said I still refuse to cough up, I simply cannot reward these types of sales tactics, and won't. I'll either pick up a 1080ti on the MM, or pick up a gaming laptop, that by all rights will be more powerful than my current rig, with a higher refresh rate display to boot. I'll put off the monitor and gpu upgrade until Navi, and see how that changes the landscape.

What will be interesting is which way all the people who said they wouldn't buy will eventually turn. I'm confident that many of those with deeper pockets will buy, and the number won't be small. We all want the next tech, and even I had a moment where I considered it. The owners' thread will certainly be telling, looking forward to hearing peoples experience and reasoning. I'm genuine about that btw, I hope everyone's pleased with their purchase, and that it sparks some interesting discussion.

Associate
Ha! Reads like a cop out answer to me. I'm not saying you fella, but I see so many people unwilling to just say 'I was wrong' on these forums, and it baffles me.

My guesstimations were utterly out, I stated categorically there would be a ti, and that it would be 9ish months after 2080 release. I said that we'd see a marginal price increase, and a significant drop on Pascal. I was way, way out; totally wrong about everything except there being a ti, which was pretty obvious. When I next came on the forums I said as much, and even acknowledged the other dude I was debating with, who was right.

Anways, I'm still gobsmacked by the price and utterly turned off the new gen. But their plan is working, because I'm more tempted to buy a 1080ti than ever. Which is bonkers considering it's a two year old architecture that's been superceded by a new gen. What a clever way to get rid of old stock, with a different 'RTX' moniker, bold 'new' tech and utterly obscene pricing, say what you want about the gouging, greedy barstewards, but they can sure turn a profit.

That being said I still refuse to cough up, I simply cannot reward these types of sales tactics, and won't. I'll either pick up a 1080ti on the MM, or pick up a gaming laptop, that by all rights will be more powerful than my current rig, with a higher refresh rate display to boot. I'll put off the monitor and gpu upgrade until Navi, and see how that changes the landscape.

What will be interesting is which way all the people who said they wouldn't buy will eventually turn. I'm confident that many of those with deeper pockets will buy, and the number won't be small. We all want the next tech, and even I had a moment where I considered it. The owners' thread will certainly be telling, looking forward to hearing peoples experience and reasoning. I'm genuine about that btw, I hope everyone's pleased with their purchase, and that it sparks some interesting discussion.

I imagine they probably have to push the price up if they want to include all the fancy RTX tech, someone has to pay for all the R&D, marketing, product support in software etc etc

Soldato
I imagine they probably have to push the price up if they want to include all the fancy RTX tech, someone has to pay for all the R&D, marketing, product support in software etc etc

Nvidia showed record profits in their last financial review. This would be when they were developing their ‘new’ technology. This would be around the same time that sales were petering off and mining took a nosedive; they were left with hundreds of thousands of units, returned or in stock. So the development cost excuse doesn’t wash with me.

Titan V and Quadro cards have already paved the way for AI (Tensor cores and DLSS), and Ray tracing is an old technology; I posted a video demonstrating a $150 tablet achieving 6 Gigarays per second, the same as the RTX2070. The device was from a couple of years back. RayTracing in itself is nothing new to the industry, at all. What they’ve done is dedicate some silicon to it, so RT can be processed in parallel.

Bottom line for me, is it’s a GeForce core with mediocre performance improvement (if benchmarks and leaks are to be believed), with old tech and some tensor cores strapped onto it. The GDDR6 rumours of 20% price increases were likely just pushed out to prepare us for a price hike, and given the faster memory onboard, the performance of the RTX cards could be even more underwhelming.

That’s not to say I don’t applaud NV. Not only was their marketing strategy genius, but we’re actually seeing innovation in the industry, rather than ‘moar powa’. The technologies do seem that they could really improve the fidelity of games, especially a couple of generations down the line, if depressing 1080p performance leaks are to be believed.

So in truth, I’m very glad to see this innovative approach to new cards, and thinking outside the box in improving the IQ of our games. However, that doesn’t detract from the very real likelihood that these cards will offer NV’s best margins in history, which is exactly what happens when your competition is dead in the water and you’re the only real choice for avid gamers, hungry for new hardware.

For me, the 1080ti is looking very tempting right now. To be honest I wish I’d snapped up the EVGA 1080ti SC2 when it was up for £649.99. It’s a lot for old tech, but it’s a damned good card and would make a nice tide-over until Navi appears.

Regardless, I think it’s safe to say that as long as these cards sell like NV hope, and I believe they probably will, the green team will make enough money for Jensen to go for a swim in his Donald Duck style money vault, where can can feel the gentle rustle of tear-stained paper currency gliding against his latest leather jacket.

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia showed record profits in their last financial review. This would be when they were developing their ‘new’ technology. This would be around the same time that sales were petering off and mining took a nosedive; they were left with hundreds of thousands of units, returned or in stock. So the development cost excuse doesn’t wash with me.

Titan V and Quadro cards have already paved the way for AI (Tensor cores and DLSS), and Ray tracing is an old technology; I posted a video demonstrating a $150 tablet achieving 6 Gigarays per second, the same as the RTX2070. The device was from a couple of years back. RayTracing in itself is nothing new to the industry, at all. What they’ve done is dedicate some silicon to it, so RT can be processed in parallel.

Bottom line for me, is it’s a GeForce core with mediocre performance improvement (if benchmarks and leaks are to be believed), with old tech and some tensor cores strapped onto it. The GDDR6 rumours of 20% price increases were likely just pushed out to prepare us for a price hike, and given the faster memory onboard, the performance of the RTX cards could be even more underwhelming.

That’s not to say I don’t applaud NV. Not only was their marketing strategy genius, but we’re actually seeing innovation in the industry, rather than ‘moar powa’. The technologies do seem that they could really improve the fidelity of games, especially a couple of generations down the line, if depressing 1080p performance leaks are to be believed.

So in truth, I’m very glad to see this innovative approach to new cards, and thinking outside the box in improving the IQ of our games. However, that doesn’t detract from the very real likelihood that these cards will offer NV’s best margins in history, which is exactly what happens when your competition is dead in the water and you’re the only real choice for avid gamers, hungry for new hardware.

For me, the 1080ti is looking very tempting right now. To be honest I wish I’d snapped up the EVGA 1080ti SC2 when it was up for £649.99. It’s a lot for old tech, but it’s a damned good card and would make a nice tide-over until Navi appears.

Regardless, I think it’s safe to say that as long as these cards sell like NV hope, and I believe they probably will, the green team will make enough money for Jensen to go for a swim in his Donald Duck style money vault, where can can feel the gentle rustle of tear-stained paper currency gliding against his latest leather jacket.

Well at the very least they are reinvesting profits on new GPU`S which is more than can be said for INTEL.

Back
Top Bottom