• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Man of Honour
Do you still stand by this mate?

The 1170/2070 is going to offer 1080ti performance?

Will a 1170 be equal to a 1080Ti ? If so I may as well wait

With the 20XX series cards NVidia have made comparing performance a bit more difficult depending if you are using new games or old.

With features like DLSS and Ray Tracing the 20XX series cards will run faster/have enhanced effects than old cards on the latest/upcoming games. On older games the latest features will do nothing.

To answer the question and it is only my guess, for older games the 1080 Ti will be faster than the 2070, for brand new games the 2070 could edge it by a small margin.

Unfortunately to know for sure we will have to wait for the reviews.

Soldato
2070 performance is going to the kicker for 1080ti prices.

We just have to sit and wait and see what the real world performance is like.

Associate
With the 20XX series cards NVidia have made comparing performance a bit more difficult depending if you are using new games or old.

With features like DLSS and Ray Tracing the 20XX series cards will run faster/have enhanced effects than old cards on the latest/upcoming games. On older games the latest features will do nothing.

To answer the question and it is only my guess, for older games the 1080 Ti will be faster than the 2070, for brand new games the 2070 could edge it by a small margin.

Unfortunately to know for sure we will have to wait for the reviews.
Appreciate the answer, I was hoping you'd say yeah the 2070 will blitz the 1080Ti :D
When are we going to see solid benchmark comparisons? Will it be September after the first gamers get them in their hands OR will it be a bit earlier from reviewers?

Just be a filthy chancer like those in the MM trying to pick up a 1080ti for £150-350.
Graphics cards are like bras to me I don't want other peoples' ones touching my frontage or the inside of my PC (it is a sacred zone).
Yeah I'm an idiot:D

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Appreciate the answer, I was hoping you'd say yeah the 2070 will blitz the 1080Ti :D
When are we going to see solid benchmark comparisons? Will it be September after the first gamers get them in their hands OR will it be a bit earlier from reviewers?

The 2070 won't be reviewed in September if that's what you mean? Only the 80ti/80 will be.

Associate
What's the point of delaying benchmarks so long after the launch announcement? All I can see happening in these unknown weeks is fewer GPU's being purchased as everyone just waits to see what happens. Surely that delay just impacts profits?

Associate
What's the point of delaying benchmarks so long after the launch announcement? All I can see happening in these unknown weeks is fewer GPU's being purchased as everyone just waits to see what happens. Surely that delay just impacts profits?
Maybe because cards and drivers are only just now going to be sent to reviewers.

Soldato
Well at the very least they are reinvesting profits on new GPU`S which is more than can be said for INTEL.

Literally every company does this, it’s how they survive. All business must maintain a cycle of creating new product to continue earning. Generally net annual profits released are what’s left after all costs, including costs of development. New nodes, new architecture and design improvements all cost a significant sum of money. So yes, Intel, one of the giants of tech, have indeed been reinvesting in product development.

While Intel’s generational gains haven’t been good (Christ, my i7 4790k keeps up 5 generations later), it’s important to remember they’ve been stuck on 14/12nm for a long time, while the gpu market has only recently shrunk down to equivalently sizes nodes. Intel’s plight has been worsened by years of difficulty achieving profitable yields at 7nm.This is why AMD’s Ryzen and their infinity fabric is so genius, overcoming die shrink barriers by creating multiple dies on the same chip. It’s also worth bearing in mind that with such impressive leaps forward, especially in multi-threaded workloads (and 75% of the GPU team taken for cpu development), they still haven’t beaten Intel’s IPC.

Anyways. For me Pascall was a masterpiece. A range of incredibly powerful products that were fairly priced considering the significant gains over Maxwell, which Nvidia openly demonstrated at launch, instead of the bait and switch tactics we’re seeing for Turing. Yes the mining boom and the memory price fixing drove up eventual Pascal prices to bonkers levels (something I’m confident NV is now capitalising on btw), but the RRP was fair. The 1080ti in particular was and still is a monster card, even compared to the new, disgustingly expensive RTX series.

I’m afraid I have no real brand loyalty, so I can’t understand anyone who defends the pricing of the new cards, or makes excuses for them. It’s gouging pure and simple.

Unfortunately the more I speak about how good the ti is, and how prices are finally dropping, I’m getting more and more tempted. The fact that I missed out on the EVGA SC2, a perfect fit for my new case, makes me even more tempted to snap it up if the price drops again.

Soldato
Associate
Purely an estimation based on performance leaks; the 2070 should be on level with the 1080 (non-ti) excluding gained performance from DLSS.

hmm 2304 turing cores vs 2560 pascal cores, depends what the ipc uplift is I guess. Could be quicker than a 1080 if turing has a 35-45% boost over pascal which is mooted, could be 90% of a 1080ti. Even if performance is only 20% better it could be quicker. They have skipped a generation to arrive here so performance has the potential to be very good. Also has the same memory speed as 2080 which is pretty close to 1080ti. Then there is the RTX stuff too.

Might make a £600 1080ti look pretty expensive?

Back
Top Bottom