Silver DVD R/W drives - where are they now?

Capodecina
Soldato
I have been trying to source a silver (rather than black) SATA DVD R/W drive. They seem to be completely unavailable. Why are they no longer available? I don't want to have to replace my perfectly good silver case with a brand new black case just in order to maintain consistency.

Soldato
Some cases have fascias you can buy for the optical bays - which disguise the drive and make the case look cleaner (if it's an older case you may have to look on the bay).

Or you could make one out of the case optical bay cover - there used to be some good DIY guides online (Dremel skills needed). They're are simpler less elegant/clunky solutions too...

Or remove the fascia/bezel from the new DVD drive and spray silver. It's a PITA but effective.

Soldato
Found a Samsung SH-S222AL/RSMS Retail Box with Black, Beige/Ivory, Silver bezels here:
link removed please see below

Not sure if trustworthy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure that would be classed as a competitor so best remove the link.

I would just get a external drive. That is what I shall be doing when I rebuild soon.

I wasn't so sure at first. It's for a certain item that OcUK don't have anymore (I actually bought the same model for myself from OcUK in 2013 so would be happy to recommend purchasing from OcUK if still available), and in spoilers. But on second thoughts, maybe the link would be the issue, thank you Pasty.

I've seen there's no problem with mentioning other retailer's names on the forum in relation to specific items OcUK don't stock so instead just look up:
bits n pcs direct Samsung SH-S222AL/RSMS

Associate
Optical drives. Lol.

Last time I bought an optical drive, I rode my velociraptor to the store. This is him now. Been awhile.

1200px-Velociraptor_Wyoming_Dinosaur_Center.jpg

Back
Top Bottom