Silver Stone Raven Build

Associate
Hi everyone.
After 6 heavily used years, I have decided the time has come to do a full system upgrade built inside my Silver Stone Raven case.
I had toyed with the idea of going for a completely new build but I kind of like the layout of my current case as I can easily access the I.O on my motherboard & it has plenty of room to work in, but perhaps most importantly I need to hide it from the Wife. :D
I have about 2k to spend which would need to buy a new graphics card, PSU & upgrade bundle, I will probably have a new Monitor, PSU & boot drive as well.
My rig would be used mostly for gaming but also some CAD work which includes some rendering of images.
I got some really good advice via O.C on my last build & thought that I would throw myself on the mercy of the O.C crowd once again.
I really want to get the best bang for my buck & really don't know if Intel or AMD is my best bet so I would love to hear your thoughts.
I will also probably need to update my monitor.

My current Spec is:-
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

MOBO
Z77-D3H (Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz)

Monitor
ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI)

Storage
223GB OCZ-AGILITY3 (SATA (SSD))
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA )
596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0 (SATA )

Audio
ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device
PSU
OCZMODXSTREAM-PRO 600w

I may consider keeping some components if you think it's worth it.

Cheers in advance.
Bullitt

Last edited:
Soldato
@Bullitt659

original Raven case?

https://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=RV01&area=en&top=C

£2k would get you a good system all around! including monitor but Freeysnc screen that have G-sync enabled are still a bit more costly then Freesync only monitors paired with AMD GPU, but still cheaper then G-Sync only monitors !

Guessing your CAD rendering is done via CPU plugins ?

pushing to boat at max spend

ODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,014.69 (includes shipping: £20.82)

lowering price and performance - still nice 1440p rig though
CODE
Total: £1,538.73 (includes shipping: £20.82)
more saving with cheaper 1440p 144hz monitor (-£150 odd)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-057-ao.html

both GPUs side by side - 2080s can open a very big lead depending on games. RTX 2070 Super is def more value then 2080S but doesn't open as much of a lead over the 5700XT

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh
Great thanks for the help so AMD then?
I don't need as I will be re-using my RV03 but I will definitely take a closer look at your shopping list.
What if I wanted to tart it up with a bit of RGB bling any suggestions?

Last edited:
Soldato

Pretty powerful !
Would say if your Able to Grab Sabrent Rocket for under £120 then its FAR BETTER NVMe m.2 device ! - Matches the best at slightly cheaper price

https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-...gh-performance-solid-state-drive/#description

if not, slightly more costly
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/teamgroup-mp34-1tb-nvme-pcie-m.2-solid-state-drive-hd-00b-tg.html

Corsair fans are Neat but ££££££ . their software is pretty cool too !

could save a little cash without going RGB ram - depends on if you can actually see your case at eye level

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g360c7k-my-104-pa.html

PSU would spend extra few £££ for Corsair with 10 YR WARRANTY vs 7 of the above unit and is modular

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020194-uk-ca-24r-cs.html

^^^ also has zero fan mode and a larger fan 135mm vs 120mm

AORUS also have 750w PSU, which is Built like a BEAST ! OCUK have sold out of it and is £85 odd searching and is a higher Tier then the above two .

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Power-Supply/GP-AP750GM#kf

IF YOU ARE CPU rendering then would drop 2080 Super to 2070 Super and step up 16 core Ryzen 3950. If GPU then 2080 Super and gain extra FPS when gaming.

Surprisingly 2080S does gain MORE FPS then 2070S at 1440p then it does at 1440p Ultra wide or 4K... should actually be the other way around !

dont forget cooler ! even one i linked a few posts above would do better then stock since its 12/16 core ryzen !

16 core + 2070S version for little cheaper - CPU Rendering bound

Total: £2,203.04 (includes shipping: £13.20)

ryzen 8 core and 2080Ti for GPU rendering !!!! 11GB Vram vs 8GB for modelling, if they are huge and complex

B CODE
Total: £2,261.14 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Middle grouns 12 core + 2080S

ODE
Total: £2,206.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)
so.. have all 3 grounds covers. 8 Core + 2080ti / 12 Core + 2080S / 16 Core + 2070S

Seems Crucial have a sale for £105 32GB (2X16GB) for £105... damn ! could get 64GB for £220 . easily OC to 3600hz​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.;)
So I think that I have landed on a spec that may work for me it is a bit more than I wanted to spend so I may need to shop around (sorry overclockers) but I want to make it as future proof as I possibly can as this likely has to last me a very long time.
Total: £2,838.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Soldato
I really like my case so keeping it is a given, the only reason I thought about changing it was because I was considering an AIO & I have never been sure if one would fit.

When I first posted I actually got mixed up with the RV-02, however your RV-03 is still great. You can't beat the air-flow of those 180mm fans at the bottom pushing air upwards. I have an RV-02, and also some Ft-02 I use as home server / workstation cases.

Just one thing, I see your spending over £2k on parts. I would spend an extra £20 odd and get the Seasonic GX PSU as it's better quality over the core gold.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06v-ss.html

Soldato
Dark Rock Pro 4 should match most CLC units from asetek ! :)

specially with the airflow design in that case ! GPU and CPU should be very cool !

Those AP180 fans destroy Noctua 200mm and Cooler master ones !

silverstone rep is now on here @SilverStone Saku . have to post up your finished rig :)

Shame they havent got around to ARGB-ing their 180mm fans :(

Soldato
Soldato
So apart from some tweaking it's all put back together and >>>this<<< is what I ended up with :p
I am thinking of swapping out the 180mm bottom fans now as they are getting on a bit and are a bit noisy.

to be honest it seems they are solid units and better then Noctua 200mm. Can just throttle down RPM to keep them silent , as they are 180mm they will still produce a lot of airflow ontop of the HEAVY positive pressure you have going, 5 intake vs 1 exhaust :)

could always get 2x 140mm Silent wing 3's or 140mm RGB that are quiet

Associate
OP
to be honest it seems they are solid units and better than Noctua 200mm. Can just throttle down RPM to keep them silent, as they are 180mm they will still produce a lot of airflow on top of the HEAVY positive pressure you have going, 5 intakes vs 1 exhaust :)

could always get 2x 140mm Silent wing 3's or 140mm RGB that are quiet
TBH I have been experimenting with the fans & I think I will have the top front fan as another exhaust as that is how I used to run it on the old system & it seemed to work well as it seemed to be a more balanced pressure in the case.
As for the bottom fans, Silverstone now does some PWN 180mm fans so I may investigate those a bit further.

Soldato
TBH I have been experimenting with the fans & I think I will have the top front fan as another exhaust as that is how I used to run it on the old system & it seemed to work well as it seemed to be a more balanced pressure in the case.
As for the bottom fans, Silverstone now does some PWN 180mm fans so I may investigate those a bit further.

*cough* @SilverStone Saku sponsor some fans *couch*

did you grab a monitor in the end ?

Associate
OP
*cough* @SilverStone Saku sponsor some fans *couch*

did you grab a monitor in the end ?
Yea I got the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q 27" as per your recommendation its nice monitor & a big upgrade on what I had before.
I also bought another 16 Gigs of ram then realised that I would need to remove the cooler to install it & even then I am not wholly convinced that it will fit under there. :confused:
I would love some new big ass fans though.:D

Back
Top Bottom