Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W Owners, Your thought's please!!!

Soldato
As the title suggests I'm seriously considering the Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W Windowed Gaming Case as an upgrade from my Antec 902 but want to know what people with this case actually feel about it...

Associate
Ok just built a new rig with the special red interior version of this case so will share my experience.

Pros

Looks amazing and is very solidly built.
Very good air flow.

Cons

If you fit a large motherboard like asus rampage III extreme then you find it a bit cramped to plug in sata cables.
Top 120mm fan shifts lots of air but is noisey so some form of fan control is a must if you care about noise.
Cable management isnt easy. could do with a bit more gap behind back panel.
Plastic hotswap drive holders come out way too easy.

Dont get me wrong a lot of the above cons are just small things and i dont regret buying case as when i get 120mm top fan replaced with something quiter or get it on a controller then im going to have a very cool and silent machine that looks lovely.

Associate
I have the red version and its probably the best case I've ever owned.
It's so quite is scary and cools like a champ.

The only thing that lets it down is its a little tight in the back side for cables, but if your careful its more than manageable.
Also the drive caddies don't lock properly which kinda sucks but its nothing too major, I just bent the bottom of the cage up a tad and there quite snug now.
As for the top fan, utterly silent so I'm not sure whats going on with killem's.

Last edited:
Associate
Well im not saying its top 120mm is mega loud but its loudest thing in my machine and im a bit sensitive to noise. Ive found a 7v resister cable from a past build so that shoud bring it down to un noticable levels.

Associate
Well im not saying its top 120mm is mega loud but its loudest thing in my machine and im a bit sensitive to noise. Ive found a 7v resister cable from a past build so that shoud bring it down to un noticable levels.
Thanks for pointing that out, I've wondering for some time why my pc sounded so noisy so today noisy but it wasn't just that fan. Turned out the middle fan (the Noctua NF-P14) on my Noctua NH-D14 cooler was, at its highest speed was creating a dull hum. After putting a resistor cable on it, the top fan in the FT02 was then then also creating a similar dull hum. Found another resistor cable and now mine is running lovely and quiet ;)

Interestingly the cpu is still idling at 32 degrees as before :p

Associate
I have the non windowed version in Silver. It weighs a ton, but very well built and quiet, a very good option if your looking for an air cooling solution.

I've unfortunately outgrown it due to needing more internal disk space, so it's going to be moved on, but for this it would still be my first choice for a case.

Soldato
i have one of these with a fan controller for the 3 180mm fans and i think it's a great case. as said above it a bit cramped at the back for cables and larger mobo's may be tricky but overall this case is excellent, i find it to be quiet and is good at cooling.

Associate
I have the Raven RVO2 version of the case, and its a brilliant case. I had a Lian-li v2100 before which is colosal case with inverted atx, which looked fantstic if you had a window. But i now love the 90 degree layout of the FTO2/RVO2, with a window it shows of your pc parts like no other case i have seen.

Pics (camera phone im afraid :()

16102010201.jpg

16102010197.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
IMG_0286-1.jpg

Well here is my new PC so far based on the Silverstone FT02 limited edition case.

I'm just waiting for my 2TB Samsung drive to arrive and I am still considering wether to go for 2 x GTX460s or just 1 GTX480.

Associate
1 GTX480.

Thats the one i would go for cyber, if you want to watercool it in the future (and it would perform fantastic under water) you can just wack two of the 180mm fans and their mountings out and put a 360mm in the bottom with no problem.

If watercooling isnt your thing though, then that case would keep the 480 heat down, especially if you get a version with a backplate. Their should be no issue with SLI though, just perfer a single card solution myself.

Hope that helps, and the build looks really good :)

Soldato
OP
IMG_0286-1.jpg

Well here is my new PC so far based on the Silverstone FT02 limited edition case.

I'm just waiting for my 2TB Samsung drive to arrive and I am still considering wether to go for 2 x GTX460s or just 1 GTX480.

That is a seriously sweet looking set up, I now find myself leaning towards this case even more! :)

Associate
The corsair H70 will fit and I have a H50 already in my old case which I was tempted to swap over but decided I liked the look of the Thermaltake Frio instead.

If you fit a radiator on the single fan exhaust on the top then it will have to work cooling the CPU and also expel the hot air from inside the case.

Silverstone also recommend using a graphics card which does not dump heat into the case too.

Associate
Is there any where discrete to put some led strip lights on the FT02, please leave some pics of where you have your lights.
It looks a bit restricted on the pictures i have seen, & i dont want lights glaring out the side window.
I have an 800d, & am looking for a cooler running case, so i thougt the FT02 would do the job.

Associate
As the title suggests I'm seriously considering the Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W Windowed Gaming Case as an upgrade from my Antec 902 but want to know what people with this case actually feel about it...

Always loved the 902 and 1200s. Recently upgraded my system from a 1200 to the case you are considering. Thread here on upgrading to a 470 with custom cooler along with the Silverstone FT02B-W :

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18199096

Quite simply (in my opinion) the Silverstone destroys any competition for air cooling. For water cooling I haven't done enough to express an opinion, but this case is amazing for air cooling.

Took me an extra hour figuring out where everything goes, but once you've figured out that the PSU actually fits snuggly and easily facing out the back top of the case it's a doddle (see final pic in above link to see what Imean about the PSU).

I don't know why there hasn't been much more buzz on the forums here about this case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom