Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
Has anyone went back from VR to monitor(s)?

I had been using my lenovo explorer having originally started on a single monitor and a really narrow FOV (iracing)

VR is great and the immersion is amazing but I just cant deal with the hassle and found myself racing less and less. I want to be able to jump in and out of races in a moments notice, particularly with iracing races being hourly etc.

Mainly the problems being trying to have everything running that I want, crew chief, trading paints, setups etc which means flipping between VR and monitors and dealing with Windows Mixed reality which drives me mad. Every update something breaks or needs tweaking. For a month it was crashing my GPU drivers and I never really picked it back up after that. Then having cables hanging around my head etc and trying to reach for mouse/keyboard.

Unfortunately I dont have room for triples and I have 1 PC that does everything so don't have the outputs for 3 more monitors even if I wanted.

For example this is my setup although that 27" monitor on the arm is now a 34" ultrawide.
dcvUuO0lbTeYYterOO3is0wAF6Ldb9r9Oj3Ch576mC-IQn0ejdh2zlUVVNwWbBbone4dgeUmqoyUgtYCmpk9vGm6i_KzwfrjP4IrjtpfAj15C4RclEYkf-7MMsKsJ1sxBnn0SCwI7EJXEVe5YWpuqqw6JzGXy1nsJ45zavvcqnxzUi0g0PxZVD6140B3hMqewpo-zo36hbW20jgyeeVueBziG58BdCJWSInIo7hnJ6_ygBaOyqJexbMRvcQQbC-D6v3O7J4M9W8hf8dR-OQKPYxzpAvBqPcKiJ4U0JpMF8Xgx3iBPtNR5zUmjVhSaG7-OEUVDv7RRJ77Rsu_Mm5PCfvhpP6dRwEFrheNpGG63jiK9VK29nE1IeNiuupY1bXbfmU8m8lSJqR28Dp9PKMNHQXCXUewf-E1EyePYmQmTmaN7gmsrH__9t_5ouV1iu4nRYP-Gcwj2871hBoBiP0GdTpJK0bV0iNlvVpbJJAnrG9pZN7GViBbR-9fFPmb-2-IJk6SCwewVI2foLANZ-eHiATDDoiacgeMM7uz1LAMgqy20siHrxgDxuVUV1PiLGoKhY-nkYf3BkOz7onblE56r05bScT4i2O-oQO8Ztbl_GHeG37sw7P2iK2gzD3kMl9F_ihbJAxeIZSkor1-cn-XoR4cJcNE1Yg=w973-h1297-no

The monitor swivels back to its normal working position for day to day use and doubles as the backup monitor for navigating menu's in Iracing before going into VR but was a bit of a kerfuffle.

I have a 34" ultrawide with a more robust monitor arm on the way and want to see if I can go back to a single monitor like above. But even with that from my calculations, I will be able to get the monitor pretty much upto the wheel base but would still be 27" inches from eye to monitor and gives a FOV of 65 degrees, I watched a reply on my ultrawide at 65 degrees and its so narrow compared to VR I dont know If i can go back. In the mazda you barely see anything either side of the steering wheel. Im not too fussed about the looking around part in VR, as the FOV is good enough that I can just look around with my eyes but the 65 degree FOV I think maybe a bit too much of a jump backwards.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I went from vr to a 34 UW. Hated sitting with something on my head. It was immersive and the performance was fine but an hour+ race with that thing on my head was a no go.
I hated setting it up. There was always some BS to change or configure or troubleshoot.

I'd like triples but don't have the space but in honesty I don't miss it VR at all. Maybe look at dabbling again next generation when the tech moves on a bit.

Associate
I think we are the exact same, it's amazing and vr is/has a future but at the moment it seems you spend an equal amount time racing as dicking about in .txt files.
And then the face sweats, narrow sweet spot etc.

Soldato
I think we are the exact same, it's amazing and vr is/has a future but at the moment it seems you spend an equal amount time racing as dicking about in .txt files.
And then the face sweats, narrow sweet spot etc.

After reading your other comment its seems a more WMR issue than anything else. Get/try a Quest as you can use it wirelessly and the virtual desktop software is a breeze to use. You don't have to take your headset off as you can use virtual screens, drivers and Oculus software is pretty rock solid these days. Its only 72Hz so easy to drive and bump up settings. I get a rock-solid connection using a wifi6 card off my main PC and using Win10's hotspot feature.

Soldato
I use VR predominantly and have had pretty much trouble free experience. I love it and it works great in all the sims I use. However I have found myself wanting to go triple screen for quite some time, but its just not really an option for me due to space or lack thereof. I've seriously considered compromising and trying Ultrawide but unsure if that will be enough as I've grown very accustomed to the immersion and level of awareness you get with being able to look around and look to the apex etc with a headset. Just wish it wasnt so damn warm and stuff with the headset on.

Associate
Sounds like WMR still has the same issues as it did when I had my od+ early last year. Too bad. Hopefully the next version with ReverbG2 fixes a lot of it.

Ultimately go with the setup that gives you the most enjoyment.

I personally only have ever driven in VR and am happy doing 3hr+ sessions on my pimax5k+ I turn on the headset, hit drive in Content Manager and that works every time. Can’t complain about complexity or oddities.

Soldato
Been busy tweeking the rig over the last couple of weeks.

Upgraded to the third pedal and foot plate for the sprints
6yDp5C8l.jpg

Braced up some bits with extra angles and repurposed some of the old wheeldeck parts and Sparco Alloy Seatmounts, I'm sure the seat mounts are supposed to be fitted inward, but I prefer them outward, as makes bolt access and adjustment easier.
PXAMPY3l.jpg

BG-Racing 80mm spacer to replace the cheap Q/R, the knock off ebay Q/R had already developed significant play...
Eat6bkIl.jpg

Interested in getting an H-Pattern with sequential option, as far as I can see, Fanatec and TM are the obvious options (big price difference), but I'll do my research and wait until things calm down a bit in the sim racing market, might even be able to pick up a cheap 2nd hand one in the next few months when everyone starts selling their kit!

Soldato
Just got back into sim racing after a few year break. Using my old G27 but man the noise and notchines is annoying. Would gladly get a T300/TX to replace it but there's no stock anywhere (apart from the ugly Ferrari 458 Italia version with the naff pedals). Hopefully OCUK get a delivery from Thrustmaster soon.

I use an Oculus Rift CV1 and like the G27, I'm ready to replace it. Got my eye on the upcoming Reverb G2, but I'll need nVidia to launch their new cards first since my 2060 won't run the G2 well enough. Just can't race on a flat screen anymore.

Associate
Just got back into sim racing after a few year break. Using my old G27 but man the noise and notchines is annoying. Would gladly get a T300/TX to replace it but there's no stock anywhere (apart from the ugly Ferrari 458 Italia version with the naff pedals). Hopefully OCUK get a delivery from Thrustmaster soon.

I use an Oculus Rift CV1 and like the G27, I'm ready to replace it. Got my eye on the upcoming Reverb G2, but I'll need nVidia to launch their new cards first since my 2060 won't run the G2 well enough. Just can't race on a flat screen anymore.
I have the G27 also and bought the Thrustmaster TX second hand for £90 last year, I bought the Ferrari 599 Evo Alcantara rim for around £130 and its a decent setup for now. I use the G27 pedals and the G27 shifter also (using the adapters) and it all works well.

I am looking at the Fanatec CS v2.5 base maybe later on in the year with the F1 V2 rim and V3 pedals, not sure if my sturdy desk will be solid enough for this but that is my plan hopefully avoiding the need for a rig, which I have no room for.

I also use the Lenovo explorer for VR and for the most part it's pretty good and the immersion is great but I do prefer the better quality view on my triple screens.

Associate
Been busy tweeking the rig over the last couple of weeks

Interested in getting an H-Pattern with sequential option, as far as I can see, Fanatec and TM are the obvious options (big price difference), but I'll do my research and wait until things calm down a bit in the sim racing market, might even be able to pick up a cheap 2nd hand one in the next few months when everyone starts selling their kit!

As a left field suggestion take a look at the Frex H shifter, I have my eye one it atm and are likely to give in this weekend and order one. Barry @ SRG reviewed it favourably. It seems very well made, mimics the shifter on a 962 C. As I have a similar set up to many, SC2 Pro, HE Sprints, Ascher F64 it's also nice (for me anyway) to have a slightly unusual shifter, not the same as everyone else. About £450 shipped from Japan.

I've recently put VR to one side, I have an original rift and 1660TI, going to see how the imminent HP update works out and pile into a 3080TI/3090 pretty soon after launch, for me VR is so close but the resolution isn't quite there to make 2+ hour stints manageable.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a basic driving sim for a while, small incremental updates over time

Sim kit is all Fanatec, CSW2, peddles v3, new F1 v2 wheel, also have a 918 wheel, sim-lab P1 frame, recent impulse purchase 3 x AOC 27’’ curved 144hz monitors

now waiting impatiently for the new rtx3000 series gfx card update that will hopefully make good use of the triple monitors

8A2iZbV.jpg

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
get yourself a bottle of ecomoist screen cleaner. will work wonders on them panels.

very nice setup. interested how you mounted the CSW on the front mount DD bracket. do the bolt holes just line up?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Over the weekend my CS2.5 arrived with the Universal Hub. UPS decided to keep the wheel at their hub until Monday which was really kind of them.
I got the round wheel initially as I was set for a wait on the F1 limited edition wheel but they all arrived within 4 days of eachother.

Some mods to the rig. I have put the feet on washing machine vibration dampers to minimise the noise throughout my house from the buttkicker system. It works well.
I also ordered some taller side mounts for my bucket seat which raises up the seating position nicely so hopefully no more dead legs on endurance races.

RhLYSu9l.jpeg

The extra height has resulted in a much more comfortable and natural seating position. Bought my uprights on the rig slightly closer to me as the new wheelbase mounts around an inch further back than the T300 did.

Setup is finally complete and the trak racer cable tie mounts have come in handy to finally secure all loose cables on the system now. I have a spare piece of profile and two extra 90 brackets on the way from SimLab to secure the shifter mount which currently has a small amount of play in it.
Ri9VPfNl.jpeg

Some pictures of the two wheels for you all too.

1MDcLc2l.jpeg

SKg0DNJl.jpeg

really happy with it all so far, once I figured out that the latest drivers don't support more than two button presses on the clubsport universal hub.

Soldato
I've been out of sim racing for about 8 years but I've recently got the itch again. I ordered a Trak Racer TR80 back in May, still waiting for it. I've ended up upgrading to the TR160 so hopefully I'll have it by August. My Corbeau FX1 Pro arrived a couple of weeks ago and I've been using that on some 2x4s in front my my wheel stand. It's not a comfortable driving position though as the pedals are at the complete wrong angle.

I've just finished building a custom wheel too (Audi DTM) and have a 5" display for a digital dash. The housing is on the way and I plan to add some rev/warning LEDs to that in the future too. I planned on making the Turn Racing GTE wheel but it ended up building the Audi DTM one instead as it was a lot simpler. That means I've got the bodnar board and some encoders kicking around so I'll probably build a button box once I have my rig all set up.

Now I just need to build a PC as it's a pain playing things on a bootcamped MacBook Pro :D

Back
Top Bottom