Sim racers - what are you running?

Man of Honour
It took me far longer to build than I had planned. I had some time out of work (through choice and planning, 8 weeks R&R) so planned to spend a lot of time on it getting to grips with it. In then end I found myself not wanting to spend time with tech, so it sat in bits and part built state until about 5 weeks ago and now I am back at work so have little time for it. But when I do I really enjoy it and can't wait to get my grips on VR for full immersion as siting is an issue with a single small screen.

Associate
Sorry for the late reply, see below.

Depth - 63cm
W - 200cm
H - 70cm (floor to bottom of the desk)

Seat base I made, desk is an oak kitchen top with Ikea legs and Ikea unit
Thanks, but I've built my own version using Ikea furniture. I'll post photos when I've worked out the links to the photos.

Mines:

Width: 160cm
Depth: 80cm
Height: 78.5cm (not quite level but it's good enough for the moment until someone visits me)

Man of Honour
Very nice indeed. Do you have ACC Housey ?
No I’ve focused on iRacing as that is what the group of us use. About 15 of us have built out sims in the last 4 months, base level is mine but some have gone crazy on their set up. I had a decent PC with a 2080Ti which is more than enough for iRacing on triples or VR, so kept my spend down relatively. We race each Wednesday and some Fridays and have a big Ring race soon.

Most of us have real race experience, all have tonnes of track day experience and a few of the lads are semi professional (international GT3, single seaters and one lad historic F1) so it’s gets competitive but the discord banter is what makes it really.

Bunch of old farts who can’t play with their expensive toys so we all built them in our bedroom, out buildings etc. It is good fun and we just have a right laugh taking the pee.

Takes me back to Clash of Clans. Ended up with a few Supercup and DTM drivers mainly due to the late Sean Edwards (RIP) inviting them in it :cry: 30 of us fighting battles each night, bunch of tossers the lot of us :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not to sound like a nodding dog but oohhhh yes!

In ACC I think I'll be taking the Bentley for this one, need some stability and good trail braking.

Associate
Thanks, but I've built my own version using Ikea furniture. I'll post photos when I've worked out the links to the photos.

Mines:

Width: 160cm
Depth: 80cm
Height: 78.5cm (not quite level but it's good enough for the moment until someone visits me)
51136141439_883920faf7_b.jpg

51135361141_8a8db96d77_b.jpg

Plans are:

Get a seat for the frame (which I have been advised that the manfacturer are now stopping production) instead of the current frame and chair (but I'll keep the chair as I use it for my desk). So currently eyeing up the Next Level Racing GTtrack unless anyone else has any suggestions?

New monitor or TV: need some help with this as I will be getting a Xbox Series X at one point so what's the better thing to get: TV or gaming monitor and if so any particular make and models?

Associate
OP
I suppose it depends on what room you have to play with and budget but 28" and up gaming monitor would be my choice. The wider the better, 120hz-144hz and a low ms latency. 1ms would be ideal.

I've got my Xbox one plugged in to my Samsung ultra wide (there is an option to have the display scale to 1080p)

Associate
I suppose it depends on what room you have to play with and budget but 28" and up gaming monitor would be my choice. The wider the better, 120hz-144hz and a low ms latency. 1ms would be ideal.

I've got my Xbox one plugged in to my Samsung ultra wide (there is an option to have the display scale to 1080p)
For context, the Sony TV is 32 inches, and what I normally use as my main monitor. It is also what the Xbox (along with my stereo) is plugged into.

I've had a jiggle around and the laptop you can see in the corner of the desk is now where the smaller TV is, with the smaller TV being where the laptop was (I'm not using it at the moment - think of it as a "WFH" setup and it's not going to be such a pain to move a laptop and a TV than the wheel stand which is what my setup was).

Budget I haven't really decided but in either case I am going to have to save up, but any pointers will be appreciated.

Associate
I have built a sim, work in progress still but getting there.

- Track Racer TR160 + Mouse Stand + Keyboard Tray
- Track Racer Monitor Stand (got a single 27 inch screen, waiting for a Reverb G2)
- Simcube 2 Sport
- Cube Control GT Pro OMP Wireless
- Heusinkveld Sprint 3 x Pedals

Housey how do you find the GT Pro, do you get any connection issues or lag with it being wireless on Simucube 2 (I have the pro). How does the wheel feel, I think its 330mm i assume you dont find it too big?
I have a USB Cube formula wheel and have been loking at the GT Pro, I assume you can use the GT wirelss with usb as well?
Do you find not having the funky switch an issue, or do you use a button box?

I'm thinking i want 1 wheel i can use with ACC and ETS2, formula wheel is good with ACC but not so great with Trucks.

Man of Honour
I am having issues with the GT Pro where it loses the left paddle sometimes and my mate has the same issue too. You can plug it in and that usually solves this issue but I had one occasion where it did not and had to reset the PC.

I’d not recommend the wheel for this reason alone but size is fine.

Associate
I am having issues with the GT Pro where it loses the left paddle sometimes and my mate has the same issue too. You can plug it in and that usually solves this issue but I had one occasion where it did not and had to reset the PC.

I’d not recommend the wheel for this reason alone but size is fine.

Thanks, never been too sure about wireless wheels, hence the usb Formula. There aren't that many decent looking non formula wheels around. Gomez SI says he is looking at making a 'D' shaped wheel, but no idea when. I'll keep looking I guess.

Man of Honour
I am considering going 3 screen. I have a single 27 ROG gaming screen which is far from ideal so considering going for 3 new screens until VR kit become available.

So what would people advise for a 3 screen setup? Thinking the thinnest bezels possible would be preferred. Some mates have gone for the massive curved screen, but that tends to distort things so think a 3 screen would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom