Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
Its about 20 years since I last owned a Protractor :D

Me too, but it's not exactly difficult to draw a diagonal-ish line. Quite impressed I got exactly the same as what @pacegod suggested above.

2022-01-08_ 18-16-30.jpg

BTW, ideal screen angle depends a lot on how far you are from them. With 27" monitors, 45 degrees works if your eyes are about 750mm from the centre one. If you're further away they'll need to be slightly flatter and therefore a bit wider overall.

Associate
After my maths shaming it looks like I'm just short of the space needed for triples, so looking at the Odyssey G9 instead. Anyone in here using this for sim racing? I've watched a few YouTube vids and the FOV looks reasonable enough.

Soldato
Can someone running triple 27's do me a favour? I'm planning my first rig and can't quite work out if I have the space for triple 27's - What's the overall width of anyones?
From what I've read if the 27s are 60cm long and if you're wanting 180 degree field of view your eyes need to be 52cm away from the centre screen.

The screens will be at 60 degrees not 45 meaning the total width would be 120cm.

Obviously bezzels will add something to that width

Edit
Looks like the width isn't far off an Odyssey G9 but double check everything I've said

Last edited:
Associate
My mid-budget sim setup:
Fanatec CSW v2.5
Fanatec BMW GT2 clubsport wheel (the V1 without the magnetic shifters) with magnetic shifter add-on mod from SRM.
Fanatec CSL elite pedals
A cheap unbranded frame (box-section steel) that holds the wheel base and pedals and attaches to my normal gaming chair.
Buttkicker LFE attached to chair for tactile running off SimHub powered by an iNuke 1000 amplifier.

All bought used from ebay in spring of 2020.

Mostly play Project cars 2 and Dirt Rally 2.0 and a bit of wreckfest.

Associate
Forgive if this has been asked a thousand times before but 40 pages of threads is a whole bunch of reading.

I'm considering buying a set of Fanatec V3 pedals. I already have the Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals and I'm quite happy with them.
Is there much of a difference? Fanatec being twice the cost of Thrustmaster, is there much difference in use? Is twice the price justifiable?
Admittedly I'm a sucker for "brand hype" and I'd like to own the Fanatec but, really, is it worth it?

Edit: I've done it. I've only been and gone and done it! Bought a set of used V3 pedals. Couldn't wait. I might have missed the opportunity. I suppose I'll be able to offer my own opinion when they arrive. :)

Still, it'd be nice to hear your opinions in the meantime.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just received my gear yesterday, unboxed the V3 pedals and they look excellent, build quality is pretty high although I only have a G27 setup to compare against.

Based on the reviews I read prior to buying I ended up with the brake performance kit as well, it might be worth looking into. It's only a few hard rubber blocks though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just received my gear yesterday, unboxed the V3 pedals and they look excellent, build quality is pretty high although I only have a G27 setup to compare against.

Based on the reviews I read prior to buying I ended up with the brake performance kit as well, it might be worth looking into. It's only a few hard rubber blocks though.

V3 pedals are great, but the rumble motors are very hit and miss. I've not managed to get them working in iracing yet, but in one of my other games they are very weak.

Associate
I've done it. I've only been and gone and done it! Bought a set of used V3 pedals. Couldn't wait. I might have missed the opportunity. I suppose I'll be able to offer my own opinion when they arrive.

Dash it all! The retailer I purchased the used V3s from has cancelled the order two hours after I placed it. Turns out they weren’t actually in stock. Oh well, I’ve had my little bit of excitement for today. Win some, lose some.

Associate
I have had T-LCM and V3 at the same time and V3 we not worth twice the price. I was no faster or consitent with the V3 over the T-LCM. I'd save for a set of used Huesinkveld Sprints or VRS pedals.

You're quite right. I'm sure Fanatecs wouldn't make me faster or more consistent. TBH the Thrustmaster T-lcm are more than good enough for me. I certainly can't do them justice with my beginners racing skill level. I just fancied the Fanatecs because people tend to rave about Fanatec gear and I thought they'd be a nice quality item to have. I'll keep on looking for a bargain. As for the Huesinkveld and VRS, well, they'd certainly be wasted on me.

Associate
New setup and wheel, desk is rock solid but i might nab a rig at some stage.
Upgrade from G29 is mind blowing.
My old office desk got a refurb last year, no other chair as sturdy or as comfy :)

EiH8D5n.jpg

Soldato
I have had T-LCM and V3 at the same time and V3 we not worth twice the price. I was no faster or consitent with the V3 over the T-LCM. I'd save for a set of used Huesinkveld Sprints or VRS pedals.
Thanks for the info - I was looking to buy the V3 pedals to replace my Logitech G920 pedals but will order the T-LCM's instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure who said it, but someone said simrigs are never finished and they are right! lol

This weekend I stripped mine down. The oled has been moved into the bedroom and I'm planning on getting an ultrawide again.....but my long term plan is to marry this up with two 27" either side.

The oled was amazing, but I didn't feel it was quite right for simracing. I'll still keep my other for regular gaming though.

I've also been able to move my fans from the sides to the top now, so should have the space.

Horsepower should be ok too....

super ultrawide - 5120x1440 = 7.37m
4k - 3840x2160 = 8.29m
super ultrawide with 2 27" either side - 10240x1440 = 14.74m
Quest2 - 5408x2736 = 14.79m

Will post the before and after pics :D

Soldato
Out of interest, how will the image look with an ultra wide then 2 normal 16:9 screens either side?

My thinking is to achieve a clean 180deg fov each panel ideally needs to have 60 degrees of horizontal fov, so having a larger panel in the middle may mess this up?

I've been looking into screens for my setup so I'm interested in how a larger middle screen would appear over 3 identical screens.

Soldato
Out of interest, how will the image look with an ultra wide then 2 normal 16:9 screens either side?

My thinking is to achieve a clean 180deg fov each panel ideally needs to have a 60degree of horizontal fov, so having a larger panel in the middle may mess this up?

I've been looking into screens for my setup so I'm interested in how a larger middle screen would appear

so long at the physical height and vertical resolutions match I think it should be ok

Soldato
Yea, although I was more concerned about how the FOV would be, but I am I may be looking into it to much lol.

Not able to find a fov calc for this kind of setup

You should be able to calculate this as a four monitor setup. I'd get the fov using the single monitor and multiply by 4. Think that's how I did it for a custom resolution I used to use, or whatever the difference was between one monitor and three so you can calculate the extra fov one monitor gives you, then add it onto the triple setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should be able to calculate this as a four monitor setup. I'd get the fov using the single monitor and multiply by 4. Think that's how I did it for a custom resolution I used to use, or whatever the difference was between one monitor and three so you can calculate the extra fov one monitor gives you, then add it onto the triple setup.

Decent, I'm torn about the direction I want to go in but that sounds epic :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom