Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
Similar story to me, I was goingto wait for the CSL DD but then the more I read and waited, the more I decided I didnt want Fanatec gear. Specifically the standard QR system sounds dreadful.

£866 for 3 pedal sprints, shifter and handbrake? That's not bad. Wont you get hammered by import duties aswell though?
I did think about getting the Heusinkveld shifter, but its sequential only I believe and wanted H shifter. I ended up getting a 2nd hand TH8A but then after buying it realised it was being sold without the table mount, so had to get a mount from Thrustmaster. I've also ordered the ClixBeetle Pro TH8A mod which was reviewed by SRG here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLTbi7OMBc

I'm loving rally time trials in BeamNG drive. Makes Dirt 2 seem easy! :D

The metal QR is supposed to be better than the QR Lite but then it takes the price of the wheel closer than I'd like to the Moza and Simagic offerings which, whilst not cheap, ooze quality. The construction on my GT4 wheel is superb. It's all aluminium and carbon fibre with the only plastic bits being the button faces. There's no flex or rattles anywhere even when deliberately twisting and shaking it looking for them...

It was £866 for the pedals, baseplate, shifter and handbrake plus £186 for the VAT and UPS fee at the door. There's no import duty to pay on sim gear. Even with the VAT and UPS fee it came in £100 cheaper direct from Heusinkveld than I could find in stock in the UK.
Plus I've watched a lot of Niels' videos on YouTube and he seems like a good guy so wanted to support them directly.

I've heard the TH8A is good for the money, especially used. I personally really like a good sequential shifter so I decided to go the route of a dedicated shifter for sequential and pick up an H pattern later. Maybe a Frex or the Heusinkveld one if they ever release it.

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the Heusinkveld stuff. It's beautifully made.

I've never checked out BeamNG. I'll have to do that.

Soldato
The metal QR is supposed to be better than the QR Lite but then it takes the price of the wheel closer than I'd like to the Moza and Simagic offerings which, whilst not cheap, ooze quality. The construction on my GT4 wheel is superb. It's all aluminium and carbon fibre with the only plastic bits being the button faces. There's no flex or rattles anywhere even when deliberately twisting and shaking it looking for them...

It was £866 for the pedals, baseplate, shifter and handbrake plus £186 for the VAT and UPS fee at the door. There's no import duty to pay on sim gear. Even with the VAT and UPS fee it came in £100 cheaper direct from Heusinkveld than I could find in stock in the UK.
Plus I've watched a lot of Niels' videos on YouTube and he seems like a good guy so wanted to support them directly.

I've heard the TH8A is good for the money, especially used. I personally really like a good sequential shifter so I decided to go the route of a dedicated shifter for sequential and pick up an H pattern later. Maybe a Frex or the Heusinkveld one if they ever release it.

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the Heusinkveld stuff. It's beautifully made.

I've never checked out BeamNG. I'll have to do that.
Heusinkveld gear does look fantastic and I dare say i'll end up there, but probably when I have room for a proper rig instead of a desk only

BeamNG is (or started out) as a physics and damage simulator. It's sort of a sandbox minecraft of racing sims if that's such a thing. Many different things now exist - freeroam, scenerios, time trials, map editor, a garage and endless mods. You can 'drive' anything from a sofa to a Jet!

There are many videos of BeanNG crashes, even 'BeamNG TV' here's some of my poor attempt at rally with some crash dummys and no rally car rollcage.

Next I think I'll try hillclimb in a Peugeot 206 :D

Associate
Heusinkveld gear does look fantastic and I dare say i'll end up there, but probably when I have room for a proper rig instead of a desk only

BeamNG is (or started out) as a physics and damage simulator. It's sort of a sandbox minecraft of racing sims if that's such a thing. Many different things now exist - freeroam, scenerios, time trials, map editor, a garage and endless mods. You can 'drive' anything from a sofa to a Jet!

There are many videos of BeanNG crashes, even 'BeamNG TV' here's some of my poor attempt at rally with some crash dummys and no rally car rollcage.

Next I think I'll try hillclimb in a Peugeot 206 :D

I haven't used any of it yet. Just ogled it. I'm sure I'll be happy with it all though!

I thought the name sounded familiar. I wasn't aware they'd done so much with it. It does look good fun! Sign me up for the jet!

I have a question regarding motor noise. Do you ever notice any or is your R9 completely silent? I'm getting a noise that sounds electrical and the force feedback is making some noise as well. It almost sounds like pulsing as I go over bumps, etc. I will admit I've not mounted it to a rig yet so it could just be that, but the electrical noise comes through when the game starts sending its signal when you boot it up. All the reviews, etc. I watched mentioned that DD wheelbases are completely silent. The feedback feels fine but I have no point of reference. I've emailed Ben at Abruzzi to ask for his input on whether they produce any noise as well. It would suck if it is faulty as they have no more in stock...

Soldato
I have a question regarding motor noise. Do you ever notice any or is your R9 completely silent? I'm getting a noise that sounds electrical and the force feedback is making some noise as well. It almost sounds like pulsing as I go over bumps, etc. I will admit I've not mounted it to a rig yet so it could just be that, but the electrical noise comes through when the game starts sending its signal when you boot it up. All the reviews, etc. I watched mentioned that DD wheelbases are completely silent. The feedback feels fine but I have no point of reference. I've emailed Ben at Abruzzi to ask for his input on whether they produce any noise as well. It would suck if it is faulty as they have no more in stock...
I very much doubt all DD base is cimpletely silent. I think they mean compared to gear or belt driven bases.

My R9 even when not in use at all makes faint whirring sound. If I connent the wheel and put my ear to it, it sounds like a conch when you used to put it to your ear as a kid to hear the sea :D
Also yes to the pulsing sounds when the FFB kicks in. I only really notice it when I play (like just now to test) with no headphones or speakers on. I would challenge anyone who says a direct drive base is completely silent. It's a big fat electrical motor at the end of the day!

Soldato
Hi all.

It's been nagging away at me that I wanted to get back into sim racing. I sold my rig at the start of the year and regretted it.

Having stumbled across this thread yesterday I've ordered a Simagic Alpha Mini and GTC wheel. :)

I actually ended up buying pretty much everything I need yesterday for a full rig except the seat! I have Corbeau buckets in a car already and I think they have an ebay outlet (of sorts). Have emailed them to check sizes of one I'm interested in.

Soldato
I very much doubt all DD base is cimpletely silent. I think they mean compared to gear or belt driven bases.

My R9 even when not in use at all makes faint whirring sound. If I connent the wheel and put my ear to it, it sounds like a conch when you used to put it to your ear as a kid to hear the sea :D
Also yes to the pulsing sounds when the FFB kicks in. I only really notice it when I play (like just now to test) with no headphones or speakers on. I would challenge anyone who says a direct drive base is completely silent. It's a big fat electrical motor at the end of the day!
The whining noise can be disabled from the pithouse app apaprently. Its to do with the bluetooth tranmission or something along those lines.

Do a quick google and you will find out the setting

Soldato
Similar story to me, I was goingto wait for the CSL DD but then the more I read and waited, the more I decided I didnt want Fanatec gear. Specifically the standard QR system sounds dreadful.

£866 for 3 pedal sprints, shifter and handbrake? That's not bad. Wont you get hammered by import duties aswell though?
I did think about getting the Heusinkveld shifter, but its sequential only I believe and wanted H shifter. I ended up getting a 2nd hand TH8A but then after buying it realised it was being sold without the table mount, so had to get a mount from Thrustmaster. I've also ordered the ClixBeetle Pro TH8A mod which was reviewed by SRG here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuLTbi7OMBc

I'm loving rally time trials in BeamNG drive. Makes Dirt 2 seem easy! :D
Yup. likewise.

i was hell bent over on the fanatec stuff until @Uncle Petey showed me the light :D

I still aint got a racing wheel yet but when i do get one, it wont be a fanatec one

Soldato
The whining noise can be disabled from the pithouse app apaprently. Its to do with the bluetooth tranmission or something along those lines.

Do a quick google and you will find out the setting
If you mean the 'Current mode' in advanced settings of the R9 base then this can be set to Work mode (where its in operation) or standby mode (where its disabled)
It's just easier for me to turn it off at the back than keep changing the mode setting.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Anyone modded their shifter for the G29? I decided it's time to do something about it's looseness and gone for this mod by 3DRap: MOD CAMBIO V3.5 H-SHIFT

Has anyone done similar?

I'll report back on how much it improves it once I've received it :)

Soldato
Yea it looks top notch. Do you think 9nm is enough?

Have you got yours set to max FFB?
It’s certainly enough for my desk. It’s on max but most of the time its detailed but not violent.
However I was on BeamNG yesterday and clipped a rock which smashed the front wheel clean off. At think at the same time my 34” monitor did a little jump :D

Soldato
Yea it looks top notch. Do you think 9nm is enough?

Have you got yours set to max FFB?
I had a Simucube Pro and can't remember what I usually had it on. Once my rig is built I can compare with the Alpha Mini I have ordered.

To be honest, I noticed far greater difference when I changed pedals (Fanatec to Heusinkveld) than going from belt drive to direct drive.

Soldato
Got one of those, well one I printed. Also use this when I need a sequential shifter, the thumb screws are genius and allow swapping back in no time :)

This looks great. Do you know if he / anyone sells the mod pre built so it can just be installed? (similar to the Clixbeetle pro)

Soldato
This looks great. Do you know if he / anyone sells the mod pre built so it can just be installed? (similar to the Clixbeetle pro)

It's a bit pricey once shipping is added, about £29

Soldato
It's a bit pricey once shipping is added, about £29

Looks like you make it yourself

Box includes:

3D print models

4x M3x25mm screws

4x M3 nuts

2x M4 nuts

2x M4x16mm screws

4x M6x10mm Spring Ball Plunger screws

2x Springs: 20x7.5x1.2mm

Associate

I'm thinking so too. I guess I just went in with unrealistic expectations when every review said 'completely silent'...

It makes no noise or anything when turning so if yours is similar then it's all good. I tend to be quite sensitive to coil whine and things like that. I don't hear anything once I've got speakers turned up or headphones on. As you say, it's a massive electrical motor...

Hi all.

It's been nagging away at me that I wanted to get back into sim racing. I sold my rig at the start of the year and regretted it.

Having stumbled across this thread yesterday I've ordered a Simagic Alpha Mini and GTC wheel. :)

I actually ended up buying pretty much everything I need yesterday for a full rig except the seat! I have Corbeau buckets in a car already and I think they have an ebay outlet (of sorts). Have emailed them to check sizes of one I'm interested in.

Let us know what you think of the Alpha Mini. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the GTC wheel too. I almost went for it over the GT4 but I wanted something that blurred the lines between GT and Formula in one wheel a little more.

Soldato
Let us know what you think of the Alpha Mini. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the GTC wheel too. I almost went for it over the GT4 but I wanted something that blurred the lines between GT and Formula in one wheel a little more.

Sure, no problem. I ordered the 2 paddle GTC wheel but Ben emailed to say there was a bit of a mix up and they only have 4 paddle. To be fair, I wanted 4 but it was showing out of stock so this is a result for me. I've also orderd an Innato Aston Martin wheel (I almost exclusively drive the Aston in ACC, not good enough for anything else :D )

So far, the following has arrived.

Sim Labs GT1 Evo
Heuskinveld Pedals
Corbeau Revenge X Kevlar seat (I love this, I have Corbeau in one of my JDM cars they've beautiful :) )
Samsung 49" monitor

I built the PC on the weekend - Ryzen 5700x, 6900XT, 32GB ram. One massive is issue I've encountered, I can't get ACC to run :( It says DirectX Runtime needs to be installed. Have spent 2 hours so far trying to make it work. Have even reinstalled Win11 - having installed 5/6 racing games Via steam so that's another day or so downloading :(

I've posted on RaceDepartment about this. Having initially thought Win11 was to blame, it might be ACC.

Once the drive and wheel turn up, I'll make a start on the build.

Back
Top Bottom