• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Since new consoles in 2020 will cost ~£400, would it be a poor choice to spend £500 on just a GPU?

Soldato
I think there's a difference between "30hz" as in, the refresh-rate and a game locked at 30fps on a 60hz screen.

I would never run my desktop at 30hz, but I am currently playing God of War on PS4 Pro and it looks great and runs at 30fps, which is perfectly playable.

Is 60fps better? Absolutely no question.
Is a locked 30fps unplayable? Not at all.

Its a very good game yes. I too have completed it on the ps4 pro and while it does look and play well at 30hz. There's always the what if. What if the pro was better and could actually run the game at 60hz. What if this was available on pc so i could play this at 60hz.

I can switch any game from locked 60hz 4k to locked 30hz 4k and the difference is pretty apparent. I'm not saying its unplayable because it isnt. But given the choice, 60hz is far superior.

Associate
This is the big game NVIDIA will be pushing their newest, highest SKUs with. As TW3 was in its time. If you don't think they'll go absolutely full bore on gimping, you haven't learnt from history.
Totally agree with you. Buying a £500 GPU for Cyberpunk 2077 which releases next year is a very bad move imo. Look at their last game W3 and how it ran on Kepler cards on launch (780 slower than the 960 anyone remember that) because it was optimized for the new Maxwell architecture. We'll most likely get the next batch of Nvidia cards early next year before 2077 drops (same time or after Big Navi too it all lines up), so all the RTX features probably wont run good if at all on current cards when the next cards have 2-3x the RTX performance.

I could see myself buying a £500-600 3070Ti/3080 for Cyberpunk though, I did buy the 980 for Witcher 3 as it was the best card around at the time and only £420ish. Sadly cant see my Vega 56 playing it well at launch being a gimpworks title.

Soldato
Totally agree with you. Buying a £500 GPU for Cyberpunk 2077 which releases next year is a very bad move imo. Look at their last game W3 and how it ran on Kepler cards on launch (780 slower than the 960 anyone remember that) because it was optimized for the new Maxwell architecture. We'll most likely get the next batch of Nvidia cards early next year before 2077 drops (same time or after Big Navi too it all lines up), so all the RTX features probably wont run good if at all on current cards when the next cards have 2-3x the RTX performance.

I could see myself buying a £500-600 3070Ti/3080 for Cyberpunk though, I did buy the 980 for Witcher 3 as it was the best card around at the time and only £420ish. Sadly cant see my Vega 56 playing it well at launch being a gimpworks title.

RTX and Ray Tracing is quickly becoming the Pimp Cane for which every GPU is measured against.

If RTX was a person, I'm sure it would look like this

w1sl01sj.r4j.png

Associate
Next-gen consoles won't be under £500, mark my words. Also, the power of them will be more or less on par with a 2070S for the duration of their generation.

Still, why buy a PC then, since it's gonna end up being closer to £1K? Well, because there's a lot of value in options, in tuning, in the catalog that already exists on PC, etc. Also, you can get that PC RIGHT NOW, and you'll have >1year of ownership before next-gen even launches, let alone until new titles trickle out, etc. Plus, after the initial investment PCs are easily upgradeable and offer more value. PSU, Case, Fans, Coolers, Storage, all can be easily re-used for 2 generations. CPUs have >5 year lifespan in terms of performance. Really, it's only the GPU you need to change more often.

In the long run PCs are cheaper & better, it's just how it is. Consoles are more for convenience.

To add to that games are much cheaper on PC ;)

Associate
Buying a £500 GPU for Cyberpunk 2077 which releases next year is a very bad move imo. Look at their last game W3 and how it ran on Kepler cards on launch (780 slower than the 960 anyone remember that) because it was optimized for the new Maxwell architecture. We'll most likely get the next batch of Nvidia cards early next year before 2077 drops (same time or after Big Navi too it all lines up), so all the RTX features probably wont run good if at all on current cards when the next cards have 2-3x the RTX performance.
Bang on, +1, would quote again.

Soldato
I said I'd wait for Star Citizen to be released before upgrading my 390....... not sure I'll be able to hold out beyond cyber punk's release though!
If your going to wait for Star Citizen to be released you might as well not bother upgrading, bloody Chris Roberts is making so much money selling DLC for the beta he's in no hurry to get it finished.

Associate
The monkeys over at Resetera are expecting their PS5 to inc a 15TF GPU, top of the line 8 core CPU, 1TB SDD, 32 GB of RAM and a 4K BR drive all for $499.

Some members over there need to put down their crack pipe.

Can't wait to see the responses when reality hits.

Soldato
The monkeys over at Resetera are expecting their PS5 to inc a 15TF GPU, top of the line 8 core CPU, 1TB SDD, 32 GB of RAM and a 4K BR drive all for $499.

Some members over there need to put down their crack pipe.

Can't wait to see the responses when reality hits.

It will have a top of the line 8 core cpu but clocked way lower than desktop, 1TB ssd also seems reasonable given the size of today's games, 4k BR drive am pretty sure the xbox atm has that now, i would lean to 16gb of ram. Gpu wise that's the biggest question. If it's faster than a 5700xt (up to 9.8tf) i would be very surprised but it's not out for a year and a bit so that's possible.

Soldato
Before we get Turing-replacements they have to launch Ampere for HPC, then a few months after that you'll get the 3080 ti, and only months after THAT will you see 3080, 3070 etc. People who are waiting for new cards before May 2020 are going to be very disappointed.

Soldato
PS5 screenshot leaked:

In all seriousness, the new consoles will be lucky to come close to a midrange PC. We know it because PC graphics are at least 8 years ahead, and both Sony and Microsoft need to give you enough of a reason to buy the upgraded version of their consoles later.

Soldato
PS5 screenshot leaked:

In all seriousness, the new consoles will be lucky to come close to a midrange PC. We know it because PC graphics are at least 8 years ahead, and both Sony and Microsoft need to give you enough of a reason to buy the upgraded version of their consoles later.

8 years ahead. How on earth did you come to that conclusion. Go play some RDR 2 , come back without whatever you are smoking and say that again with a straight face.

Associate
PS5 screenshot leaked:

8 years ahead? Nonsense

There are some absolutely stunning looking games on console, you are living in a bubble, the days of Crysis are well and truly over

Man of Honour
This is a 20 year old debate with every console generation; yes top end GPUs have been expensive the past 2 years or so but actually when you talk about consoles costing say 80% of a good GPU it isn't a million miles away from some places we've been in the past:
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Launch_price

You can see that a lot of consoles released around $199-$299 price point until the PS3 came along which was a bit of an outlier. And in those days paying $300+ for a good GPU wasn't that uncommon. That's basically what a GF2 cost. GF2 Ultra and GF3 both came out at $500 so way in excess of PS2/Xbox pricing.
Heck even if you jump to PS3 era you had 8800 cards at yep you guessed it priced higher than even the expensive PS3.

Yes the numbers are bigger now, yes perhaps PS5/XB2 will be more competitive than consoles of yesteryear, but the idea of paying more for a GPU than a console certainly isn't a new one.

If these new consoles are any good, with the exchange rate the way it is I really can't see them coming in under 499 quid except perhaps if there is some budget variant with less storage or whatever.

Soldato
Straight for the jugular, I like it. But I'd say even worse than the FPS is that the pop-in is absolutely horrendous. For me that's a way bigger deal-breaker.

There are several areas where consoles have traditionally remained weak and it has never caught up to PC. Just play any game on the Switch for any of these issues to manifest itself in a big way, and it's not just the switch even RDR2 on a Xbox One X has these issues.

1) Anti Aliasing. Never seen as a priority on consoles, console games typically have loads of jagged edges and artifacts on screen. Helped somewhat by the move to native 4k image outputs, but issues still remain.

2) View Distance and Pop-in. Again, not seen as a priority due to it's large performance hit on weak graphics processors. So console games typically have short view distances with loads of pop-in.

3) Anisotropic Filtering. Despite these not causing a big performance hit, most console games run AF on low or not at all. Ground textures more than a couple feet from the player have a low resolution and dirty muddy looking appearance as a result.

4) Shadows. Due to the large performance hit on low powered graphics processors and combined with the lack of AA, shadows on console games typically appear very rigid, un-dynamic and full of jagged edges, along with little or no Ambient Occlusion.

Back
Top Bottom