Single story garden outbuilding

Man of Honour
Has anyone on here had one of these done? Rather than moving for extra space, these look quite attractive as an alternate which works out much cheaper than moving house, albeit sacrificing lawn space. Depending on the size it can be anywhere from £3k to 25k+ and there are companies that do everything including the electrics, aircon, running ethernet from your house etc.

Soldato
Give Oakwood Garden Rooms a follow on YouTube. He videos every single detail so you can get a good understanding of what good looks like.

Soldato
we've got one in our house, 6x3m with two windows and door at the front, insulated using as my office/gaming room. Not done by us but has been really good for me! plenty of space. Our one is on a conrete base which helped it survive, been here for around 8 years.

Soldato
Associate
We had ours (9m x 5m) put in around 18 months ago. It's split 5/4 with home gym one side and work shop / storage the other and fully insulated. Well worth getting and the insulation works great in this heat.
I expect costs and quotes have soared in this time, for obvious reasons.

Soldato
I used Oakwood Garden Rooms videos as inspiration to build my attached shed.. 5 x 2.5m, fully insulated with loglap cladding rather than cedar. The materials cost 1.5k as things like insulation is not cheap and that is a lean to style, so only 3 walls…

We had quotes from local firms for a garden room at the same time, £25k for a 6m x 3m insulated and finished Garden Room.. seems a rip off if you have good DIY skills.. you could literally follow OGRs videos and DIY for around £5k of materials at most…

Man of Honour
OP
I used Oakwood Garden Rooms videos as inspiration to build my attached shed.. 5 x 2.5m, fully insulated with loglap cladding rather than cedar. The materials cost 1.5k as things like insulation is not cheap and that is a lean to style, so only 3 walls…

We had quotes from local firms for a garden room at the same time, £25k for a 6m x 3m insulated and finished Garden Room.. seems a rip off if you have good DIY skills.. you could literally follow OGRs videos and DIY for around £5k of materials at most…
That’s a significant saving there.

Associate

Do you have any pictures sounds like a great project.

Soldato
It was fun.

Mind you, I had a 2 week window, 2 extensions going on, and managed to get COVID so whilst everyone else was laid up in bed, I was outside in a cold february sweating it out! I even had a bit of an accident where the entire floor section that was propped against a wall had a gust of wind get under it and it fell on top of me (I was measuring the floor area for level so was laid on the patio!).

I didn't take too many photos, the place was a building site with 4 weeks more work going on to complete the extensions, but I did grab a few in the second week when I felt a bit better after COVID.
The construction is almost identical to the OGR garden rooms, 4 x 2 joists for the floor (although on Patio, thjat's overkill), OSB3 on top of that, then for a finish, T&G wooden flooring (as that was in the clearance section at the timer yard!).
Interior walls are cladding (log lap), roofing battens, breathable waterproof membrance, OSB3, 3 x 2 treated timber (unnecessary, but that's all they had!), insulation, aluminium tape for the joints, vapour barrier and plywood to finish.
I repruposed the french doors we had ripped out for the rear extension, the builder got them quite dirty, but they where only 2 years old, so serviceable, the guy installing the windows/doors for the house fitted it for £100.

OYwWcoph.jpg
Inside before insulation:
0os25x7h.jpg
Insulation added: (that was around £600 I think for 50mm and 75mm for the roof (8 x 3 joists)
8nwVCX7h.jpg

For the roof I just copied OGR with the EPDM and exact trims he uses.. super easy to install following his video, same wood glues, same everything!
eCDpF5fh.jpg
The only difference is because it's a lean to and attached to the house, I did add the correct flashing that the roofing company sell..
OVSKHP4h.jpg
And because it's a shed and not a garden room, I went with loglap cladding, it looks neat enough, better than an average shed, but affordable, and no side windows, as the french doors and LED lighting work really well..
orJo70wh.jpg
This allowed me to use our old IKEA kitchen units and old racking from the garage:
VeExg1Yh.jpg
I did the electrics myself, but did get the sparky doing his inspection to get the extensions signed off to include the shed just in case...

I've since added guttering and will be building a small corner uninsulated summer room in the garden for the bike/lawnmower and other things to claim some space back and make this more of a workshop (most of the racking will go..)

Associate
It was fun.

Mind you, I had a 2 week window, 2 extensions going on, and managed to get COVID so whilst everyone else was laid up in bed, I was outside in a cold february sweating it out! I even had a bit of an accident where the entire floor section that was propped against a wall had a gust of wind get under it and it fell on top of me (I was measuring the floor area for level so was laid on the patio!).

I didn't take too many photos, the place was a building site with 4 weeks more work going on to complete the extensions, but I did grab a few in the second week when I felt a bit better after COVID.

Looks fantastic good work. Thank you for sharing.

Am quite tempted with something like this myself as I need a new shed, I recently completed something fairly similar with a small garage office which I embarked on after watching a load of the Oakwood videos. I have limited DIY experience but used a lot of the same techniques as suggested for a garden room but didn't have to worry so much about the floor and roof, although both are still fully insulated with 50mm PIR.

This has given me the confidence to try something bigger and more complex and as I now own most of the tools needed there is no excuse not to (other than cost of materials)

Here is a link to my project if its of interest to anyone LINK

Back
Top Bottom