Six Nations 2017 (4th February - 18 March)

Associate
Odd game from Ireland last week. Played ok for large parts but didn't even seem to try competing at the breakdown. I expect them to be frothing come Sat. Ire v Wales is becoming a real grudge match and you can tell the players hate losing to the other side.
Still could have snuck it if Henshaw had joined that blooming maul correctly. Correct call but I still turned the air blue! Very frustrating as reckon that was going to be scored regardless.

Main concerns are:
Rory's darts when the pressure is on, we almost always seem to lose at least one or two crucial line outs when we get into an oppo 22. He's a quality player but it's been a bit of a weakness for a while and will probably keep him off the plane to NZ even if he plays a blinder on Sat.
Centres didn't get much ball. Two great players individually with ridiculous potential IF they click. Welsh defence to thank for that though.
Zebo has no pace. Good player with serious skill who has improved but he just doesn't have the pace. Most of a pack could chase him down I reckon, especially later on in a game, which isn't acceptable from a wing really. All our outside backs are brilliant under a high ball but Kearney being replaced by Payne could be very interesting. It's his normal position so might give us a bit more bite in attack.

Joe doesn't like to change much but we had Gilroy come on in Italy game and score 3 tries using nothing but his pace and a step. Something we desperately lack in the outside backs.

Caporegime
Always had a soft spot for Italy in this tournament but...it's gone. I'm honestly questioning what the point in them is. There have to be better teams to take their place!

Man of Honour
If three wins for Scotland had been offered before the tournament I'd have happily taken it, the team has made definite progress in the past few years - last week's aberration aside. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the bonus points system though. Italy's kicker had a nightmare of a game but then so many of their players contrived to stuff up eminently scorable chances he was hardly alone there. I think in some ways Italy have been a bit unlucky, they've made progress but the other teams have improved too, if they could string together a couple of decent performances then they might start being a bit more of a threat but when they lose a few points they don't often seem to believe they can come back and once that happens they can get overrun.

Associate
Two deliberate knock ons by Wales unpunished now...one by France punished.

To be fair if you watch the opening 20 mins you will see 4 or 5 times where a French player either took a Welsh player out of the game illegally or came in from the side. Not really a case of just saying 1 punished knock on for France and 2 unpunished for Wales, theres been a lot unpunished for France and they lead to them putting points on the board. Anyway, poor showing from the officials regardless of what side of the fence you are on.

Soldato
What is it about scrums that means they collapse instantly virtually every time? I don't remember it being an issue years back when I watched

Back
Top Bottom