** "SKAVEN CONFIRMED" - SKAVEN THEMED PC PROJECT LOG **

OcUK Staff
Hi all,

Beginnings

With the upcoming release of Total War: Warhammer 2 I have been thinking it is time to build a new PC from the ground up as my current rig is nearing 4 years of age. Being a massive fan of Total war and Warhammer I want to hang it around the hook of Total War: Warhammer 2.

Before starting I want to add the disclaimer that there is no agreement between Creative Assembly, Games Workshop and OcUK. I am merely a fan of Total war and Warhammer Games, and coincidentally an employee at OcUK. I am choosing parts that I think deserve showcasing and as you'd expect from a member of the OcUK team I won't be skimping on performance or quality.

So far I have the Case, Motherboard and RAM picked out. The Motherboard chooses itself because of the case I have chosen and the case lends itself to the idea I had when i began the project.

A brief insight into the inner working of my mind

Teasing myself one evening with videos of the upcoming Total War: Warhammer 2 game, and being heavily intoxicated on fine German Beer (no Dwarven brews were available), I noticed an image from the campaign intro trailer:

dMsMox9.jpg

The lettering and colouring on the face of this pillar drew my attention and I decided that would make an excellent colour scheme and design for etchings on a glass side panel. Lit from behind with an eery warpstone glow I began thinking of cases I would use in such a build. I began to think of cases with water cooling options, but also it had to be monolithic. After all I would only be able to fit the etchings on a side panel of the case, and as it would be a fairly subtle nod to a Skaven Warpstone Monolith, it would require a uniquely shaped case to emphasise the point and ensure the aesthetic emphasised the inspiration.

Thinking about it and how perfect it could be (such inspiration for design rarely comes to me), I became aware that maybe it was not myself designing this build, perhaps the Great Horned Rat himself was guiding my hand!!

verminlord.jpg

Case

The first cases that leapt to mind, and really the second point of inspiration for the build, were:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift Mini-ITX Tempered Glass Case - Black @ £104.99 inc VAT

Premium Mini-ITX Enthoo Evolve Shift in Black, Aluminium panels & tempered glass, Space for 35 cm long graphics cards.

Only £104.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Shift X Mini-ITX Tempered Glass Case - Black @ £149.99 inc VAT

Premium Mini-ITX Enthoo Evolv Shift X in Black, Aluminium panels & tempered glass, Good watercooling support & 2 pre-installed fans, Space for 52 cm long graphics card & 280 mm radiator.

Only £149.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

At the moment I am currently keeping my options open to the final choice as it depends on whether or not I go for a custom loop, an AIO or air cooling. If I go for the custom loop option then I would go for the Shift X. Availability may also be a deciding factor as I want to complete the build in time for a release date of 28th September. There is some leeway in this as it is not imperative but it provides a nice target to aim for.

Both cases are gorgeous and have the requisite tempered glass side panel for etching. My current case is an Evolv ATX which I transplanted my machine into over a year ago. I built dozens if not hundreds of PC's in my time in the Tech Department, with their chassis', and I cannot think of a chassis I would want to go into this build more. Not only does it look monolithic but I know they are made solidly and the finish is top notch. While the case limits me to Mini-ITX motherboards, there are plenty of quality Mini-ITX boards out there with all the features needed for the high ended gaming rig that will be the innards of this edifice of Skaven iconography and modern clean lines! The RGB controllers which are compatible with all the big boys in the field,:

"For the best view of the RGB-LEDs in the installed hardware the integrated LED lighting is compatible with Aura Sync from ASUS, RGB Fusion from Gigabyte as well as MSI's Mystic Light Sync, all of which can be controlled at the push of a button."

will also give me the best shot of syncing all the RGB up on case, motherboard etc, to the same shade of Warpstone Glow.

Next Update: Motherboard

**disclaimer - build is in the concept stages and thus may not reach completion. The capability to fund the build depends upon receiving the right price for my current PC. Thus follow the build log if you must, but it may all come to naught... :)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
I said above the next post would be Motherboard related. Well, Skaven can be tricksy...

CPU

I spotted the other day a CPU in our B-Grade section. Knowing that B-grade usually just means open box I contacted sales to see if there was any reduction in price (any customer can do this and make reasonable offers, just drop a message in the CS thread or call up) and copped a bargain.

Make sure to always check the clearance section as new stuff pops in every day (link is sorted by date for your convenience :) ).

Apart from a smidgin of thermal paste the CPU was very tidy and with a clean will be as good as new. Should be able to get good OC of 4.5MHz from a stock 3.5Mhz (3.9MHz turbo) on it with little difficulty. I have fond memories of it's namesake, the q6600, so if it performs anything like that I'll be extremely happy! It will definitely smash the 4.0MHz on the recommended specs for Total War: Warhammer 2.

TQsibTB.jpg
94E7V2v.jpg
hzsWQDh.jpg
aPTB9AM.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
Motherboard

To meet the build objectives I had to meet the following requirements when it came to the mobo:
  1. Smashing the recommended specs for Total War: Warhammer 2
  2. Making it resemble a Skaven warpstone monolith
The case helped massively with objective 2, however that meant restricting myself to an M-ITX motherboard. Luckily there is one on the market which will help me meet both objectives.

Asus ROG Strix Z270I Gaming Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Mini ITX Motherboard @ £199.99 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/Asus...1151-DDR4-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-MB-69D-AS.html

Skylake/Kabylake, DDR4 2133-4266, 1x PCIEx16, 2x M.2, 4x SATA 6Gb/s, 1x USB3.1, 6x USB3.0, 4x USB2.0, Intel LAN, WiFi, Bluetooth

Only £199.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

With the Z270 chipset I can fit the processor and RAM to smash the recommended specs of Total War: Warhammer 2. The other main feature required for the objectives is the ASUS Aura RGB lighting. The system can now be bathed in warpstone green not only from any RGB strips or RGB fans, but also from the motherboard. The dual M.2. slots allows me to (spoiler alert for storage update) populate with an M.2. for OS and an M.2 for the steam library. The built in wi-fi means no running of cables to my PC from the router, not planning on playing much mp games so wi-fi is fine for me to keep the game updated etc. It's also designed with quite subdued hues (apart from the RGB lights). This should help hide the interior and show off the design on the windows I am planning a bit better. Have the lights shining on too many components and it would kill the effect.

I also have a lot of experience with motherboards from my tech days, In my 18 months in the department I think I smashed out about 12-1500 builds. Out of those builds I must admit the majority were probably ASUS. They were always good for overclocking, easy to use and I appreciated their ease of overclocking features. I can remember having some difficulty with some M.2. in the early days of Skylake. There was trouble installing an OS and we had to go through a few BIOS revisions before it was resolved. But resolved it was and I'm getting excited about getting this one started. It is my first build since helping out tech with a backlog last Xmas!

Happy with the progress so far and will be taking the case home tonight to have a fiddle with over the weekend and get some dimensions for the customisation.

Until the next update, get hype, it's less than 2 weeks to Warhammer: Total War 2!

TWW2_SKAVEN_RGB_1080.jpg

OcUK Staff
OP
Storage

So I've been as busy as a Skaven the past few days and nights and gathered some more of the parts for the build. I've purchased and installed 2 M.2's for storage. a 120GB WD for the OS and a 240GB WD for the Steam Library and other things. I bought these because at the time of purchasing they were the same price as the 2.5 inch versions and I thought for the same price I may as well and forgo the cables keeping the interior of the build tasty. Installing them to the Z270 was interesting with one being on top of the board underneath an Asus Strix heat shroud. The other being underneath the board, check out the photos below!

nK8hTq9.jpg

Wilg8rs.jpg

8WCKXcN.jpg

RNa49Q5.jpg

The install was simple and the board came with all the spacers and screws necessary. 3 mins and all done. I may choose to get a heat shroud for the rear M.2 at a later date but I will check out clearance with the case and card in the Shift. I'll also determine if performance and temps justify it.

OcUK Staff
OP
OcUK Staff
OP
Window

In terms of design for the window: For simplicity I'm going to have a 5mm PVC transparent panel etched with the design. There are two paths I can follow:

A0sm6wj.png

kjOsmiH.png

Let me know your thoughts below!

OcUK Staff
OP
Cooling

Picked up the cooler on Friday, I've had Corsair AIO's before, but found them (120's especially) wuite loud. I thought for this build as it is in a case which would make a great living room PC I'd go for something a little quieter:

be quiet! Silent Loop Superior Liquid CPU Cooler - 120mm @ £99.95 inc VAT

Socket compatibility: Intel®: LGA 775 / 1150 / 1151 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011(-3) / 2066, AMD: AM2(+) / AM3(+) / FM1 / FM2(+), 3 Year Warranty

Only £99.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

9OhFpAD.jpg

It has the right looks for the build being dark and industrial. Much like a Skaven war machine.

Installed it on Friday along with most of the other components (photo dump below), the cooler installed fine, no issues and it's eponymous in nature. It's is really, really quiet!. The res is huge on this one though so it took 3 attempts of installing and moving parts around to make sure I could install components like the PSU in the right order to fit everything in. Once the res was in for example I couldn't get the PSU in.

For more photo's from the build check the below. The panels should be with me tomorrow and hoping to finish it off by Thursday in time for launch. I'll try and get some good shots of it built up and installed then for y'all!

Love the screw box you get with Phantek's cases!
lbQN7TZ.jpg

bsJtLtC.jpg

Tight fit on cooler and PSU. Had to remove the fan and put on outside the case too, after this photo, as space was tight with gfx card

BippiBt.jpg

This was the fan moved to outside case. sits nicely under the feet of the case though.

SPNawLo.jpg

HCpTtGL.jpg
[/SPOILER]

OcUK Staff
OP
@NikTheSHNIK run the cooler at 100% cant hear the pump :D

might be worth checking to see if it needs a top up, OEM had a problem in the past with not topping them enough :)

Feeling the pump and res the temp is even accross both and CPU temps were fine. There was some "slooshing" (correct technical term), as is normal during initial operation. Everything seems fine. What I'm currently looking forward to finding out if running off one of the provided fans will provide enough airflow as couldn't run both fans in this case.

Played a couple of hours of TW:WH 1 on Saturday night however and didn't encounter any problems so I think it'll be okay!

Soldato
Feeling the pump and res the temp is even accross both and CPU temps were fine. There was some "slooshing" (correct technical term), as is normal during initial operation. Everything seems fine. What I'm currently looking forward to finding out if running off one of the provided fans will provide enough airflow as couldn't run both fans in this case.

Played a couple of hours of TW:WH 1 on Saturday night however and didn't encounter any problems so I think it'll be okay!

If you have a spare silent wings 3 fan.. do it ! :)
More for the fact just run everything 100% and not hear it haha

OcUK Staff
OP
Completed the build today in just the nick of time!

A few last minute changes to the design meant I had a fair bit of work to do but after the acrylic panels arrived and I couldn't quite fit them into the case meaning I had to change a few bites:
  1. Swap cooler to air cooler so as to remove rad which was blocking acylic panels from being installed.
  2. Install acrylic panels to inside of window
  3. Install Phanteks Halo's to fans
  4. Move fans around to improve airflow
  5. Install rgb and sync with aura and mobo/gfx card
  6. Turn retention bracket around and install so fans are facing out on rear of case. Allowing ROG logo to shine towards front of case and highlight acrylic
  7. Cable manage for the fourth time...
After all that here is the finished article. I'll have one of the guys at work take a few better pics on Friday when he's got some time, until then:...

cdptDUz.jpg
CaIAoQn.jpg
ZadqIh6.jpg

Associate
Great build I really do love a clean SFF build and you have done it. You should look at getting either a set of Corsair Generation 3 Sleeved Cables or Cable Mod cable to give it a nice cleaner finish.
Also i would cover the PSI sicker with some black vinyl to finish it off. What GPU are you using as i could not see if you mentioned it ?

Also thanks for the tip with B grade stock i will be checking that every day now after work :)

Back
Top Bottom