Sking/Snowboarding 09/10

Associate
Any of you plannings trips/seasons away?

Any new boards/skis in the pipeline. Rocker technology seems to be hitting the mainstream this season, remains to be seen if its going to be a fad though...

Things are hotting up (cooling down?) here and I'm considering shelving my Ride board in favor of a Prior stick, need to demo one as soon as the white stuff starts falling, come on the snow!

Associate
OP
http://www.rockertechnology.com/

I.e. no camber on the board.

I road a skate banana for about 6 weeks last year and at first I was really enjoying it, but eventually the fun wore off and I realized it actually sucked for controlled turns and sharp carves. It also got really choppy on messed up groomers. It did however make snowboarding effortless, i.e. you will never catch an edge.

I'm hoping to demo some of the other manufacturers rocker boards, skate banana is at the more extreme end of the rocker scale.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I'm keen on the idea of never catching an edge, that's part of the skill of it is to be able to snowboard on an ordinary board without catching, if that is taken away then it might just be too easy. However I'd be interested to try it anyway and see for myself how it affects my riding.

I've got no particular trips planned and having moved down from Dundee to London means that I'm now probably easier going to France than I am to Scotland for snowboarding. I'll have to see what my finances are like after the new year and what holidays I have available.

Caporegime
Yep I'm thinking about it, maybe Italy as it seems cheapish. Can't decide whether to ski or snowboard this year so I may do half and half. Anyone tried those short skis that you don't use poles with? got any opinions?

Naf

Naf

Associate
I'm off with uni to Val Thorens in December, other than that I intend to get up to Yad Moss and Weardale a few times as they're only an hour or so away in the car.

I wish I had the money to go again with some mates in Feb/March time but alas no :( unless someone can get us free accomodation/free liftpass then I'll make do with the week in Val T ;)

Associate
Thinking Cham for some boarding this year - been a couple of years since I last went and the new cable car should be done now.

Destroyed the tail of my Custom on the last day of my trip last year so might get a shiny new Hatchet if it's deemed beyond repair; so much board for your money it's hard not to.

Associate
OP
Picked up an 06 hatchet out of the skip at the re-use it center in Function last month, gonna be my rock board when the lifts first open in Novemeber :cool:

Caporegime
Snowblades? I've tried them for a day and had quite a laugh but you are very much restricted to the piste with them, not perfect for what I like to do but that might suit you fine. I did buy a cheap pair so I'll probably try it again though.

yeah I can't imagine using them for a whole holiday but I've always wanted to try them for a day or two, this time I might actually do it :)

Soldato
I'm off with uni to Val Thorens in December
Nice one! Have you been before?
Was there last year with uni and had a great time.
Apres ski is pretty good i thot. Make sure you go to gringo's (might be called Yeti bar now?) they pour lighter fluid everywhere and set the bar on fire - love to see a uk bar trying to do that with all the health and safety we have :rolleyes:
Malaysia is an amazing place also, its a tiny little shed in the main street seperate from everything, then you go inside and down the stairs into a massive club :D

We're going to Val D'Isere this year, i cant wait :D

Soldato
I bought a K2 WWW Rocker last season and think it's probably the most fun board I've ever ridden. I managed to put a pretty big core shot in it the first day I rode it in Les Arcs, so took it in for a professional patch up. The guy in the shop was like:

"I've patched it up, but your board is totally broken!"

Me: "Argh... What? It's brand new!"

Him: "Yeah, the camber is totally messed up on it I'm afraid and it won't go in our waxer"

Me: Oh....... It's mean't to be like that, it's a reverse camber board."

Him: "They used to use that years and years ago, I'm surprised anyone is still making them like that".

Me: "It's looking like it's going to be pretty huge, so I'd imagine every manufacturer is going to have some reverse camber boards next season.

I don't think I was wrong!
Burton even has a faceoff between the two technologies on their website.
If you into Park style riding, I really recommend trying a Rocker board. Apparently they are really good for powder as well though.

Naf

Naf

Associate
Nice one! Have you been before?
Was there last year with uni and had a great time.
Apres ski is pretty good i thot. Make sure you go to gringo's (might be called Yeti bar now?) they pour lighter fluid everywhere and set the bar on fire - love to see a uk bar trying to do that with all the health and safety we have :rolleyes:
Malaysia is an amazing place also, its a tiny little shed in the main street seperate from everything, then you go inside and down the stairs into a massive club :D

We're going to Val D'Isere this year, i cant wait :D

Yeah we went 2 years ago, unfortunately I had a cold all week so only went out a couple of nights - was told that Malaysia was mental though, and the Yeti bars are always a good way to empty my wallet :D

I can't wait to go back, so many good runs - I'll never forget me and 2 mates caning it down a black run at pretty much full pelt, only to be overtaken at a fair rate by a crazy french guy from our uni...going switch and talking to us as he went past :eek::cool:

Val D'Isere - We went to Tignes 3 years ago, went to Val D for a day when there was some world cup skiing or some sort of racing going on. The amount of posh ****s there did my head in, but it was made up by the fact that despite being clad in ££££s of gear they couldn't ski/board for toffee :D

€12 for a plate of chips and can of coke though, wouldn't fancy going there for a week - tend to only spend around £500 on the entire holiday with uni, my mate spent £1k for a week in Tignes in February this year so I would dread to think how much it'd cost me for a week in Val D :eek:

Regarding gear, I was tempted by a new pair of skis in the sales but spent all the money before I got chance :( I fancy a new helmet though with headphones built in - have seen a peaked Bern one in the ExtremePie catalogue for £85 which looks nice, but haven't looked properly yet. Anyone got any recommendations?

Associate
Never been skiing or snowboarding but as I now have a job (finished uni this year) I should be able to save some money and go. Particularly want to go snowboarding, the only issue now is finding someone to go with, most of my mates don't seem interested and anyone else I know who is interested has been a few times so I'd be the noob of the group.

Associate
OP
Regarding gear, I was tempted by a new pair of skis in the sales but spent all the money before I got chance :( I fancy a new helmet though with headphones built in - have seen a peaked Bern one in the ExtremePie catalogue for £85 which looks nice, but haven't looked properly yet. Anyone got any recommendations?

RED HIFI would be my choice. However I choose not to ride with music on, find it too distracting. Got took out by a guy riding with music in his ears last year too, on the approach to a jump, landed on my head from about 8 foot up - concussion and out for 2 weeks, lucky!

Soldato
€12 for a plate of chips and can of coke though, wouldn't fancy going there for a week - tend to only spend around £500 on the entire holiday with uni, my mate spent £1k for a week in Tignes

Yeah prices are crazy up the mountains. In Val T in january one of the guys from our uni trip paid 23 euros for a salad :o (That was when we went over to courchevel tho).

I try not to spend much on food. Make pasta every day and buy a fresh baguette every morning to stuff in my bag for lunch. Past 3 years i've gone with 500 euros and end up spending about 400 of it on alcohol :(

Back
Top Bottom