Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
Replaced the horrible Sky Sagem router with a nice shiny Asus RT-N66U last night. Was a 10 minute upgrade, extracting the username / password from the old router, plug in the new one, upload the latest Merlin firmware and enter the DHCP info and instantly the WAN light came on and been fine since.

Speeds are the same but wireless has improved ten fold and great to be using Google DNS again and have access to gigabit ports.

Soldato
Engineer has just left, no dramas - huzzah!

connectiona.png

Strangely, I lose quite a bit of download from my PC. I'm putting this down to a combination of the fact that my PC is pretty knackered (and lags when doing the speed test) and i'm also using a 20m ethernet cable (although I was under the impression that you could have much longer runs than that, and suffer no ill effect?!)

Anyway, when it was tested via another cable and laptop, the speedtest was closer to 33/7 (which is fine, as my predicted speeds were 31/6).

So nice to be back on a fast connection. No more sitting around waiting for YouTube vids to buffer, or iPlayer downloads :D

Soldato
Had my Sky Fibre installed today.

Engineer came round at 1pm but apparently my existing line was atrocious. 4 hours later and I now have a new line fitted and speedy broadband. :)

I can't praise the Openreach guys enough. Ended up having 2 of them working alongside each other.

Associate
Had exactly the same issue, absolutely fuming. Original installation was due for 19th December....Fibre is now being installed on Friday this week.

Been stuck with pathetic 4mb Sky ADSL in the interim because whilst they forgot to activate fibre for the original install, they didn't forget to disable my service from o2.

Truly ****ed. They offered half price for 3 months, but clearly an endemic issue with Sky.

Ravster - Had the switchover today from BT to Sky Talk, how long did you wait before attempting to re-order Fibre?

Soldato
Ok

This might sound dumb, but how do they fit a new line ? Do they actually take out all the old wiring, and run a new cable back to the cabinet ?

R

Mehul

I haven't got a clue.

The previous line was just cut away and binned. They spent some time up a ladder and back and forth from the cabinets. I'm sure there was a lot more work involved than it seemed.

What a difference compared to Three 3G mobile broadband! :D

Associate
Just hacked my modem to get my real line stats and noticed something a little odd:

xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 7392 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39628 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 7392 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32399 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963)
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate: 7392 kbps 39628 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power: 1.2 dBm 12.2 dBm
============================================================================
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 7.4 43.3 N/A N/A 18.9 52.2 0.1

Signal Attenuation(dB): 7.4 42.8 N/A N/A 18.9 52.2 N/A

SNR Margin(dB): 6.1 6.1 N/A N/A 6.6 6.6 N/A

TX Power(dBm): -9.9 0.8 N/A N/A 10.3 7.8 N/A

Does this seem a little low to anyone else? The installation engineer checked the line and quoted around 115/35 as my attainable, and having an upload of only 7.5 attainable seems a little odd. Anybody?

Soldato
Got Sky Fibre (40mb) arriving Thursday.

Estimated line speed was 28-29mbps. Does this mean that i wouldn't be able to get (or worth bothering about) the Pro service for up to 80meg because my line doesnt support anything faster? Not sure how it works? Coming from 10 meg so it will be quite a bit faster hopefully. Glad to finally be on the fibre bandwagon at least!

Thanks.

Associate
As much as it pains me I may be looking at an AirPort Extreme Base Station to replace my Sky router. It appears to be the only one I can find that has gigabit ports, works with Sky's authentication and does 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Soldato
As much as it pains me I may be looking at an AirPort Extreme Base Station to replace my Sky router. It appears to be the only one I can find that has gigabit ports, works with Sky's authentication and does 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless.

Why do you need an Airport?

Is it for the wireless or the gig ports? If for hte gig ports, just by a cheap gig port switch and plug it into the sky router?

Kimbie

Soldato

Yes, I use an Airport Extreme on Sky Fibre and it works perfectly.

Associate
Why do you need an Airport?

Is it for the wireless or the gig ports? If for hte gig ports, just by a cheap gig port switch and plug it into the sky router?

Kimbie

It's more for the wireless with the gig ports as a bonus. I have considered a TP Link TL-WDR3600 as a possible alternative but it means farting around with openwrt.

Yes, I use an Airport Extreme on Sky Fibre and it works perfectly.

Thanks for confirming it works!

Back
Top Bottom