Sky glass

Associate
This would have been nice for me back a few years (9 years) ago when my father was still around. Other options weren't quite as available back then to get content to a remote location as it was only just transitioning, and the nursing home he was in was a grade listed location so you couldn't install a dish (but could get a new installation for a net connection). So this would have been great.

Now, there's very little reason for this given that most of what you want can be obtained through existing (established) apps anyway just to stay locked in.

Soldato
Sky are producing low quality sky boxes nowaday to save money. Like their mini box for multiroom is a joke, as it just piggybacks of the main skyq box and all recordings goes onto the main skyq box.. Its a joke, bring back the skyhd boxes back please, plus skyq is a lot more confusing to use aswel.

Caporegime
Sky are producing low quality sky boxes nowaday to save money. Like their mini box for multiroom is a joke, as it just piggybacks of the main skyq box and all recordings goes onto the main skyq box.. Its a joke, bring back the skyhd boxes back please, plus skyq is a lot more confusing to use aswel.
The mini boxes have no internal hard drive or connection to the sky dish. That’s why they’re small. Having used Sky Q and Sky+HD at my parents I wouldn’t go back to HD. At all.

Soldato
The mini boxes have no internal hard drive or connection to the sky dish. That’s why they’re small. Having used Sky Q and Sky+HD at my parents I wouldn’t go back to HD. At all.
I miss not have my own recordings on my multiroom and its own hard drive... I bet those boxes cost less then a tenner to make...... I hate sky, well the whole country is going down the pan slowly but surely,, because people are too greedy nowadays, always cutting corners.

Soldato
I miss not have my own recordings on my multiroom and its own hard drive... I bet those boxes cost less then a tenner to make...... I hate sky, well the whole country is going down the pan slowly but surely,, because people are too greedy nowadays, always cutting corners.
I much prefer having recording centrally. Far better solution fir my needs. I would say the Sky Q architecture is worlds ahead of Sky+

Soldato
I much prefer having recording centrally. Far better solution fir my needs. I would say the Sky Q architecture is worlds ahead of Sky+

Yeah SkyQ is better but only because of the extra features, everything else is a downgrade from the Sky+HD boxes and its just so they can produce them as cheap as possible

Soldato
I find it ridiculous that sky q can't connect to my 5ghz WiFi, I believe it's to enable it to use that to connect to the Mini boxes (which I don't have). Seems a downgrade to me, skyhd did it.

Soldato
This seems like a fantastic idea for Sky, I expect they will shift a lot of them. I don’t think the enthusiast is the target market for this at all but for the mainstream, I think it will be a hit.

Soldato
I find it ridiculous that sky q can't connect to my 5ghz WiFi, I believe it's to enable it to use that to connect to the Mini boxes (which I don't have). Seems a downgrade to me, skyhd did it.
I hate my minibox just because its a downgrade from the SkyHD box, but fair play, it streams perfectly at 1080p with the SkyQ box being 10-15 meters away, but using a sky booster between the 2. There no ultra settings with the miniboxes though

V F

V F

Soldato
Collected the mail from sky this afternoon and the receptionist was banging on about their new great product. Looks interesting enough but as with anything over broadband it’s only as good as ur connection. Atleast with the dish you get signal near enough all the time.

The dish falls apart when you get torrential rain. The skies are so dark grey the picture starts breaking up leading to loss of signal.

Soldato
The dish falls apart when you get torrential rain. The skies are so dark grey the picture starts breaking up leading to loss of signal.
If that's the case, I think you have issues with your dish. Ours has stopped working twice in 10 years. It easily copes with wind, rain, adverse weather. Far better than our broadband does to be honest.

Soldato
One for the masses who just want to plug it in and go and aren't too fussed by the sound or picture quality. I'm wondering what the deal will be if the built-in Sky goes wrong? are you then without your TV for a while? I'll take separates and I move around streaming services, I don't want to pay for a service when I'm not watching much. I'm waiting for FTTP to go live before I even bother buying a 4K TV, that said I go with physical media if I want higher quality, the thing I notice is the sound seems significantly better than when streamed.

V F

V F

Soldato
If that's the case, I think you have issues with your dish. Ours has stopped working twice in 10 years. It easily copes with wind, rain, adverse weather. Far better than our broadband does to be honest.

I've had the dish checked by Sky. I'm talking of extreme rain when the skies are solid dark grey with so much rain you cannot even see any trees. Rare occurrence but a signal cannot penetrate that. Or extreme snow when the skies are solid white, you get the same effect.

Normal rain/snow, no issues.

Soldato
I give it a couple of years before it vanishes, what they need is just a full standalone I.P. TV service, not tied to a freaking TV you have to rent. I guess they are hoping to appeal to the peopel who like to shop at the now ex. Bright House etc. offering the worst of all worlds.

Soldato
I've had the dish checked by Sky. I'm talking of extreme rain when the skies are solid dark grey with so much rain you cannot even see any trees. Rare occurrence but a signal cannot penetrate that. Or extreme snow when the skies are solid white, you get the same effect.

Normal rain/snow, no issues.
When I had Sky many years about I had the same in very heavy rain, my mum still sees it every now an then.

Back
Top Bottom