Sky glass

Associate
Link has expired

although I have issues anyway with the online service due to them not closing my last account down properly when moving house.

ignore my message, it’s because of my account. I’ll call them tomorrow to try and let me order it.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Really? I'm shocked. The 65" is only £1,049 with £21 per month. I was expecting OLED prices. 2.1 to 2,299.

Soldato
Really? I'm shocked. The 65" is only £1,049 with £21 per month. I was expecting OLED prices. 2.1 to 2,299.

Banking on the revenue from also taking the packages and then having you sucked in for X amount of years.

TV prices are the enticement especially with a soundbar built in.

Associate
I like the idea of this *IF* it can be used as a TV in a secondary location (e.g. in a bedroom, breakfast area, etc.) and slaved to the main SKYQ box.

A single box solution would be very convenient in these locations, but I'm guessing it will never work this way.

Associate
I have a long HDMI cable from my amp to a TV upstairs, in addition to the HDMI to the main TV, thus I can watch TV in a 2nd location without a ridiculous multi-room fee. I live on my own so I'll not be watching 2 channels at the same time. I assume this is a none starter with Sky Glass?

Associate
Lordy. The QC on Glass is an absolute shocker. I've been round to see two neighbours and a friend who all ordered as soon as it was available. I've now seen a 43" and a couple of 55" models and all of them have issues ranging from random flashing backlights at the top edge of the screen, screws not tight in their sockets, chassis rattling noise when there's any bass on the soundtrack, glitching on playback despite ethernet connection to gigabit fibre, random black screens, pucks losing connection, etc, to name but a few. It totally feels like this has been rush released without any proper testing. Sky seem to have had these sat in a warehouse for a while (maybe due to the pandemic) and have just sent them out without fully testing software updates, letting consumers be the beta testers. The consistency on the hardware manufacture itself though is very worrying. I've seen £250 TVs off the shelf at Asda which are better made than these.
Both my neighbours are sending theirs back. One bought it on a whim, the other is reverting to Q. Neither of them had a good word to say about it. Definitely one to avoid & wait for gen 2 or an improved puck-only service.

V F

V F

Soldato
Lordy. The QC on Glass is an absolute shocker. I've been round to see two neighbours and a friend who all ordered as soon as it was available. I've now seen a 43" and a couple of 55" models and all of them have issues ranging from random flashing backlights at the top edge of the screen, screws not tight in their sockets, chassis rattling noise when there's any bass on the soundtrack, glitching on playback despite ethernet connection to gigabit fibre, random black screens, pucks losing connection, etc, to name but a few. It totally feels like this has been rush released without any proper testing. Sky seem to have had these sat in a warehouse for a while (maybe due to the pandemic) and have just sent them out without fully testing software updates, letting consumers be the beta testers. The consistency on the hardware manufacture itself though is very worrying. I've seen £250 TVs off the shelf at Asda which are better made than these.
Both my neighbours are sending theirs back. One bought it on a whim, the other is reverting to Q. Neither of them had a good word to say about it. Definitely one to avoid & wait for gen 2 or an improved puck-only service.

So it's no Panasonic Viera Plasma then? :D

Associate
Really not getting this product..

Rang up yesterday as my current Q contract is coming to an end and thought i would enquire about moving over to Sky Glass. Internet is not a problem as I am on 1gig fibre.

But Sky Glass just seems like Now TV with a load of apps built in (Basically an android TV box with an integrated UI for SKy Go)

There is no recording its now just playlists... when you add something to playlist its basically just a link to the show on one of the various apps BBC, ITV etc.. This seems incredibly lazy of sky and pushes the burden on the APP provider (your simply paying sky for a UI apart from the live sky channels)

and to top it all off taking out of the equation the price of the TV(if you pay monthly) the subscription costs quoted to me would be the same yet I loose functions.

They should have made this an android TV box type product with a lower monthly cost and be done with it.

Associate
So it's no Panasonic Viera Plasma then? :D

Quite! Dropped my Viera a couple of years back, ripped the aerial connector off and knacked one of the HDMI connectors as a result. Screen itself still perfect, and everything (other than Freeview) works perfectly… can’t say the same would happen with a Glass TV!

Back on topic, personally I think the lack of recording of broadcasts is nuts. It’s the main thing we used to use Q for when we had it, particularly as Mrs w would have “work” that ended up on national or local news, and would send remote record requests to the Q box! I just don’t get Glass, and don’t get the target audience, so to speak… just seems like an over expensive Now box with a middling screen attached.

Soldato
If I take sky glass with so much time left on my skyq contract does my subscription cost remain the same + glass on top? Or does it switch to the new fixed cost of sub with no minimum contract?

Moved home the other day so kind of wanting to get a glass + pucks rather than a new dish on home move.

Associate
I still had a year on my sky q and ordered glass, it looks like it's scrapped my Q contract and started again. On my sky app when I go to sky q future bills they all say £0 and when I go to glass its tye new price.
Seems that the glass tv is finally starting to catch up on the apps, for weeks the tv is falling 5 or 6 episodes behind and making you search on the apps for them, and also some apps are miles behind. Either that or the tv is missing certain episodes half way through a series.

Back
Top Bottom