Sky high rental prices?

Soldato
I'd love to live in town but the nice new flats are about 2000+ PCM for a 2 bed, it's all a rip off, a massive rip off. (Deansgate Square)

Yeah property prices in town are booming.

There was a short documentary series recently about building in Manchester, and a number of luxury flats (£1mil+) that were being built.

Soldato
OP
It's so depressing.

The other worry for me is some of the places I find look nice, but I'm just unsure of the area.

The GF would have to walk to public transport and will have a baby in a year or so, and it's like the worry if it's a bad area imagine if some undesirables approached her and the baby.

The GF seems to think the city center is the most dangerous place but in my mind it's not, it's built up, well lit, busy, Angel meadows there is a park and an upcoming community I suppose.

I used to live in the green quarter as a student and a few years into working life, I've also lived in Moss Side and someone got shot around the corner, lived in the middle of the curry mile (just off it) and down Ordsall Lane opposed a rowdy pub.

The best places to me are Salford Quays or city center so far.

Didsbury would be a dream especially near the center or parrs wood.

Soldato
It's so depressing.

The other worry for me is some of the places I find look nice, but I'm just unsure of the area.

The GF would have to walk to public transport and will have a baby in a year or so, and it's like the worry if it's a bad area imagine if some undesirables approached her and the baby.

The GF seems to think the city center is the most dangerous place but in my mind it's not, it's built up, well lit, busy, Angel meadows there is a park and an upcoming community I suppose.

I used to live in the green quarter as a student and a few years into working life, I've also lived in Moss Side and someone got shot around the corner, lived in the middle of the curry mile (just off it) and down Ordsall Lane opposed a rowdy pub.

The best places to me are Salford Quays or city center so far.

Didsbury would be a dream especially near the center or parrs wood.

I'm not sure if town's very well setup if you're planning on a family, absolutely fantastic if it's just the two of you - my opinion at least.

You can't go wrong with most of South Manchester, even stretching round to the west, there are a number of areas that have had huge amounts of investment over the years, and it's causing prices to rocket. I honestly see a big pricing contrast in the next 5-10 years between the North-East side, and the South-West side. And it's already pricing people out of the areas.

Didsbury is very nice, we rented a flat in West Didsbury for 4 years, and would have loved to have bought a house there, but it was just way more than we could afford. For what we paid for our house in Chorlton, it would have been close to double for something similar in West Didsbury.

East Didsbury (pretty much where Parrs Wood is) is a much more affordable part of Didsbury, but they seem to get a lot of trouble from the local yobs in neighbouring Burnage. You'll find a lot of postcode snobbery with Didsbury as well. You'll have properties clearly in Withington or Burnage boundaries, but are just on the end of Didsbury, and most of those residents will associate themselves as living in Didsbury.

Edit: Regarding Moss Side, yeah it's quite funny, we're not too far from Moss Side either, but i do know Hulme and Moss Side have had a lot of development going on lately. There's a number of modern blocks of flats going up, and not cheap either, considering the reputation of the area. - Again another indication of pricing out people.

Soldato
If I wanted to go wandering around at night, then I'd say Salford Quays is about as safe as you'll find anywhere. There are so many cameras and the folks are generally just that little bit more 'middle class'. Central Manchester on the other hand, I wouldn't go out there most nights without a flak jacket on. Too many pubs and clubs and too many people who get tanked up and 'irritable'.

In general though, I feel pretty safe in the greater Manchester area. Given what you say about starting a family, have you considered moving out into real commuter-belt areas. Clitheroe and Whalley are really fabulous places to live and there is a direct line to both main Manchester train stations. Rents are cheap, the schools are all amazing and you can see a doctor any day of the week (well Monday to Saturday anyway) just by popping in and sitting in the waiting room. Shire town living. It was a revelation!

Soldato
Given what you say about starting a family, have you considered moving out into real commuter-belt areas. Clitheroe and Whalley are really fabulous places to live and there is a direct line to both main Manchester train stations.

That's one hell of a trek north though, and then you've gotta put up with the unreliable trains - which i assume would be covered by northern rail.

If anything i would say you're better off moving south a bit more towards Stoke. There are some expensive areas (Knutsford/Congleton etc), but over towards Crewe you've got Sandbach, Middlewich and Winsford, where the housing is much more affordable*. They've all got great links to the M6 so not too far of a drive - could even drive upto Altrincham and jump on the metro at the park and ride. Otherwise you're not far from the Manchester to Birmingham main line, which will have far more services, and run more reliably.

*Sandbach has a lot of housing development underway, and a lot more affordable than south Manchester. You could can pick up a brand new 3 bed house for just a shy under 200k.

Soldato
I'm sure it's the same in most areas but I find it especially true in Greater Manchester that even in the nicest areas, you're only minutes away from a cesspit.

Didsbury has Burnage and Levenshulme nearby. Chorlton has Stretford, Rusholme and Moss Side nearby...and so on.

Maybe look at the better parts of Stockport / North Peak District as they are well served by trains. I work with a lot of people from New Mills / Marple / Romiley and they never seemed to moan too much about the transport links.

Soldato
I'm sure it's the same in most areas but I find it especially true in Greater Manchester that even in the nicest areas, you're only minutes away from a cesspit.

Didsbury has Burnage and Levenshulme nearby. Chorlton has Stretford, Rusholme and Moss Side nearby...and so on.

Maybe look at the better parts of Stockport / North Peak District as they are well served by trains. I work with a lot of people from New Mills / Marple / Romiley and they never seemed to moan too much about the transport links.

I do laugh because it is mostly true. Stretford is turning into an okay area now, i think the Neville brothers had bought up large parts of land for doing some development on. Personally i would say Trafford is a bit more rougher than Stretford.

But yes, you have Wythenshawe - which i think has been branded as Britain's biggest council estate? - which is surrounded by Sale, Stretford, Chorlton, Didsbury, Gatley, Cheadle which are all at least decent areas.

Soldato
That's one hell of a trek north though, and then you've gotta put up with the unreliable trains - which i assume would be covered by northern rail.

If anything i would say you're better off moving south a bit more towards Stoke. There are some expensive areas (Knutsford/Congleton etc), but over towards Crewe you've got Sandbach, Middlewich and Winsford, where the housing is much more affordable*. They've all got great links to the M6 so not too far of a drive - could even drive upto Altrincham and jump on the metro at the park and ride. Otherwise you're not far from the Manchester to Birmingham main line, which will have far more services, and run more reliably.

*Sandbach has a lot of housing development underway, and a lot more affordable than south Manchester. You could can pick up a brand new 3 bed house for just a shy under 200k.

I agree. These are good places to live, but I’ll put up with the slightly ropey trains for the Ribble Valley and easy access to the east and North Yorkshire. I just love that area.

Back
Top Bottom