Sky high rental prices?

Soldato
Is it me or are rental prices still sky high?

Been looking for a 2 bed in Manchester/Greater Manchester, everywehre, Salford, Stockport, Oldham, Sale, Didsbury, Cheadle, Gatley, Wythenshawe and there isn't much going, and what is available seems to be a very low standard for £750 - £800 a month.

My ideal place would be a 2 bed house with a cellar I use utilise as a man cave, a garden with a shed I can do bike tinkering in, just seems like the houses are all in really shady areas or very bad standard.

Associate
I live in Ashton so in your general area - quite a few round here for 600 quid, maybe even down to 500, but not in the greatest location, and will just be a bog standard Victorian terrace.

I gather you want to be more south'ish Manchester based on most of locations above, will definitely be more expensive that way.

Would you go as far out as Mossley or Stalybridge?, bit more rural but still on the Trainline into town if needed.

Last edited:
Associate
Have considered stalybridge, it just seems a bit dead, the scenic views are a plus, but I'm unsure, on the fence really.

Yeah, not much happening really, like a lot of Tameside. Generally Tameside overall not a great area, quite a few run down areas. Nicest part is probably up the top end of Stalybridge getting towards Mottram, but then you've got all the traffic issues nearby with people heading towards Hollingworth and Glossop etc.

Another option you have is Uppermill or nearby, bit of a nicer town centre but not far from Greenfield for the train, but prices likely to be higher.

Soldato
Is it me or are rental prices still sky high?

Been looking for a 2 bed in Manchester/Greater Manchester, everywehre, Salford, Stockport, Oldham, Sale, Didsbury, Cheadle, Gatley, Wythenshawe and there isn't much going, and what is available seems to be a very low standard for £750 - £800 a month.

My ideal place would be a 2 bed house with a cellar I use utilise as a man cave, a garden with a shed I can do bike tinkering in, just seems like the houses are all in really shady areas or very bad standard.

Sale and Didsbury will be very expensive as they're more the affluent areas - we were paying near that price just for a 2 bed flat in Didsbury.

Wythenshawe is a shady area so i wouldn't look there.

Cheadle/Gatley were quite nice when we were looking at houses, but if you're working in Media City? - then it's quite a way out. If you're trying to stay reasonably close then there's gotta be a lot of affordable houses on the outskirts of Salford - Walkden/Mosley Common/Boothstown.

How about Stretford, Urmston, Carrington?

South Manchester is really starting to see property pricing rocket, not just with home ownership but also renting.

Soldato
OP
We're looking for somewhere near to the tram or train really, I wouldn't mind staying in salford quays but there just isn't much available. Open to flats and houses, currently 1 bed flat in media city, I work in Chorlton currently but usually work in Piccadilly Place near the station so very central.

Soldato
I haven't really kept up with rental prices in Manchester but I've just had a look and they are massively higher than I remember 5-6 years ago.

I live in North Manchester and would have thought you could get something near Bowker Vale / Heaton Park tram stops for around £800pm but seemingly not!

North Manchester would still be your best bet but it depends if you want decent bars nearby or if you're happy to travel into the city centre. There's only really Prestwich in North Manchester that has a decent high street and tram stop nearby.

My friend rents a 2 bed terrace in Chorlton, just near Beech Road and they pay £900 just for that. I'd only do South Manchester if you really had to.

Associate
Looking like cheapest might be more my way, East Manchester, but clearly more subject to not so great areas.

It's ok if you've got a family or are not bothered about good nightlife on immediate door step, but you're never too far away from town if needed.

But it really depends what you're looking for - as an example in my situation I'm in Ashton, two kids, dog, right near open countryside and next to a golf course, family all within ten mins away so it's ideal, plus I've lived in the area all my life, so used to the local idiots, but if I was younger and wanted a more affluent area could certainly do a lot better.

If you come this side though I'd go a bit further out than Ashton - follow the Trainline - Stalybridge, Mossley, Greenfield etc. benefit from two lines coming in, as opposed to Ashton that only goes to Victoria (plus Ashton town centre is grim). Not sure how many trains stop at Mossley though, but Stalybridge very well served (but nightlife is dire down there now).

South Manchester and that way definitely more vibrant and affluent, but you'll pay for it, so I suppose it depends where you are in life and what suits you.

Associate
I know you mentioned the tram, Ashton has this but anywhere within walking distance of the stop is not great, and if you go further down the line it's just the same.

I think it's just the reality of the city suburbs, except for the minority expensive areas to the south (I'm guessing there are many cities like this all over the country), with mostly semi deprived areas, but pockets of decent areas where all the peeps with plenty of cash congregate.

Soldato
I work in Chorlton currently but usually work in Piccadilly Place near the station so very central.

Ah nice, whereabouts? I live in Chorlton, and didn't think there was many "businesses" around - it seems to be mostly shops / solicitors / barbers & salons etc.

My friend rents a 2 bed terrace in Chorlton, just near Beech Road and they pay £900 just for that. I'd only do South Manchester if you really had to.

That sounds quite cheap for the area. A 3 bed house on our road has just been rented out for £1400, and we're about 7-8 min walk from Beech Road.

Beech Road is a nice area (right on the doorstep of a number of bars/cafe's), but it's just so cramped in. Practically zero garden space, as it's mostly terraced they're also 'front-door-to-pavement' so heavily reliant on on-street parking. The houses are also relatively small, but obviously everyone pays the inflated price just for the area.

Soldato
OP
Ah nice, whereabouts? I live in Chorlton, and didn't think there was many "businesses" around - it seems to be mostly shops / solicitors / barbers & salons etc.

That sounds quite cheap for the area. A 3 bed house on our road has just been rented out for £1400, and we're about 7-8 min walk from Beech Road.

Beech Road is a nice area (right on the doorstep of a number of bars/cafe's), but it's just so cramped in. Practically zero garden space, as it's mostly terraced they're also 'front-door-to-pavement' so heavily reliant on on-street parking. The houses are also relatively small, but obviously everyone pays the inflated price just for the area.

I work in Barclays, but I'm not branch based I just use it as a base until the actual offices in the city center are open again.

I'm a bit averse to these houses straight onto pavement, from a security perspective but also the noise of everything that may go past.

Soldato

Yeah it's crazy. I like Chorlton but there comes a point I'm just not prepared to pay the premium.

They live on a road that joins Beech Road so it's a 20 second walk to the bars, which is why they like it. There's no off road parking the garden is a small yard.

I just had a quick look at Rightmove and a 2 bed terrace sold for £385k last year which is mad.

Soldato
I believe from the recent house prices thread in GD, if you find current rental prices distasteful you probably need to go through a process of stopping being so entitled, work harder, be better at life, stop being bitter and accept that's just 'how it is'. Then you should be good to go. Also possibly lower your expectations and live in a garage.

:p

Soldato
I'd love to live in town but the nice new flats are about 2000+ PCM for a 2 bed, it's all a rip off, a massive rip off. (Deansgate Square)

Location, location, location. It looks pricey but it’s city centre and £2K PCM is dirt cheap compared to central London. In one way it’s a sign of how incredibly popular Manchester has become.

I remember seeing some nice flats in The Heart in Salford Quays at well under £1000 per month. It seems to swing about wildly depending on what shows they’re shooting. If you get it wrong and they’re making a 12-part series then the prices rocket up. If the studios are quiet then the rents are much lower.

Back
Top Bottom