Sky installation - phoneline required for Sky box?

Soldato
I'm getting Sky installed at the end of this week in my new place, and I'm aware of the antiquated need for the Sky box to be connected to the phoneline. Problem is, as it's a fairly new build there's no phone socket anywhere near (not even in the same room) where the Sky box will be, because these days there's absolutely no need for phone sockets everywhere when you have wi-fi networks and DECT phones.

My question is, how strict are Sky (and the installer) about having the box connected? The nearest socket is in an adjacent room at the opposite end of where the TV and Sky box will be. Last time I had Sky was in a flat, and the installer just ran a short extension cable from the phone socket in one corner of the room, to where the Sky box was in the other. This likely wouldn't be possible in this case however, it just isn't practical to run an extension cable from the socket to where it needs to be.

If the box can't be connected to the phone socket, will this void the install or cause me to incur any extra charges or anything? Would having the Sky box connected via ethernet (using homeplugs) be an acceptable substitute, or does it have to be connected to a phoneline directly?

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
You don't have to have it connected. Ideally you'd have it connected I an Ethernet cable (and the internet) to take advantage of the on demand content.

Associate
From what an enginner told me a few months ago, is that the telephone is only used for sky box office movies and account, but if you have multiroom all boxes have to be on the same line so that they can confirm all the boxes are in one house and not down your friend from the pub who would then save money on a subs

Soldato
OP
That seems to be about right. I'll have the box connected to the internet via homeplugs soon anyway, although I'm not sure how well the on-demand features will work over 2Mbps broadband!

Top Bottom