SKY internet dropouts

Soldato
Hey guys,

I have posted this in a new thread as it’s not an issue with my new TaoTronics mesh routers.

it’s not often but my connection to devices (iPad which is connected directly to the SKY router) drop out for 10-15 seconds..and my TV that is using the SKY extra box in my man cave went too :( ..

im going to phone SKY tomorrow, but if it persists, do I have any action to leave my contract early etc..?

the reason it’s bothering me so much is I cannot afford these stupid dropouts if online on the Xbox etc..

any input would be great! Cheers.

Soldato
OP
So what drops? The WAN connection or the LAN?

It must be awful to be occasionally interrupted when playing a game.

hmm, I never even considered what dropped (LAN or WAN), when I went to the living room, the TaoTronics were still connected, I wonder if the SKY router as needing set or replaced?

Soldato
OP
Is there anyway I can put the SKY router to modem only mode, and use my mesh system (the TaoTronics) to handle all the connections in the house?

The only thing I’m unsure about is can my SKY Q boxes etc. Work through the mesh? Or does it need to be directly connected to the SKY hub?

Soldato
If it's the WAN dropping you could have a line fault. If it happens often enough you can find out by leaving two command prompts open running continuous pings, one to the router and one to somewhere external. If they both drop it's the LAN. If only the external drops it's the WAN.

AFAIK there's no modem mode with the Sky router. You could use a dedicated modem (the old Openreach VDSL modems still work just fine and are cheap to buy secondhand) but that would require your mesh system to support Sky's DHCP authentication (they don't use vanilla PPPoE connections).

Soldato
OP
If it's the WAN dropping you could have a line fault. If it happens often enough you can find out by leaving two command prompts open running continuous pings, one to the router and one to somewhere external. If they both drop it's the LAN. If only the external drops it's the WAN.

AFAIK there's no modem mode with the Sky router. You could use a dedicated modem (the old Openreach VDSL modems still work just fine and are cheap to buy secondhand) but that would require your mesh system to support Sky's DHCP authentication (they don't use vanilla PPPoE connections).

Is this any good?

StHyXvH.jpg

Soldato
OP
I think you should fully explain your setup before anyone can offer any reasonable amount of help.

yeah, sorry, good idea.

I have my sky router in the living room, connected to the sky q box in the living room also.

I have then my sky mini box across the house in my man cave..

I am in the middle of setting up a mesh system through the house. It’s the TaoTronic mesh system.

I currently have one connected directly to the sky router, the other one at the other side of the room.

mom waiting on two more (here on Friday) to put in my bedroom (next to man cave) and the other in the man cave..which will be Ethernet connected to my series x.

Soldato
So in simple terms you have a console and a SkyQ mini on the opposite side of the property and WiFi occasionally drops on them and based on that you want to know if you can bail on your contract? Does that seem logical or realistic to you at this stage?

Sky router doesn’t support modem only mode, does your TaoTronic support router mode and can it pass DHCP60/61 as required by Sky? If not it’s not going to be able to function as a router without doing something horrible like double NAT.

Man of Honour
So in simple terms you have a console and a SkyQ mini on the opposite side of the property and WiFi occasionally drops on them and based on that you want to know if you can bail on your contract? Does that seem logical or realistic to you at this stage?
That's how I'm reading it.

Soldato
OP
I have been doing a bit of reading..can I replace my router from SKY with a router / modem with one that supports a DSL connection, put that in router mode and then connect my TaoTronics mesh via Ethernet and use the wireless on my devices then?

and yes guys, that’s basically right about my setup.

Soldato
OP
You already have a wifi mesh system (Sky Q) so why install another? Be better off getting a couple of additional nodes (Sky Q Booster?) rather than adding another separate system which will likely interfere with each other

sky mesh is bad, plus I want to connect my Xbox from one of the TaoTronics to Ethernet, rather than wireless to the Xbox.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

I picked up a new modem / router this morning, a tp-link AC 1200..

I have it all connected in place of my SKY router, and on my series X that double NAT thing has now gone and is “NAT type open”..

and it’s running (along with other devices) on the TaoTronics network..

my issue though is my SKY has no connected internet connection, or the mini box..how can I look into that to link it to my current TaoTronics network?

Soldato
OP
Ok guys, strange...

I managed to get my sky setup through the TaoTronics only, disabled WiFi on the modem, when I done this, booted up my Xbox and double Nat was back :mad:

I then done “test Nat type” and once completed its back to wired and on Nat type, open.

Back
Top Bottom