Sky internet speed doubling for free

Soldato
Annually is regularly when talking about things like this :rolleyes:

To me at least...

Anyway I'll be playing the Retention Department game with them again in a couple of months...

Annually is annually, most utilities/insurances rise year on year as does council tax in most regions, at least this time round, Sky are giving something extra in return, yet amazingly people still get bent out of shape. Costs rise, if you're in contract you're likely on preferential pricing anyway, its not rocket science.

Soldato
OP
Annually is annually, most utilities/insurances rise year on year as does council tax in most regions, at least this time round, Sky are giving something extra in return, yet amazingly people still get bent out of shape. Costs rise, if you're in contract you're likely on preferential pricing anyway, its not rocket science.
Yes, but when it is generally every year, and is generally significantly more than inflation, then personally I don't find it amazing that "people can still get bent out of shape". Costs can indeed rise, but it's not rocket science to realise big companies use apathy and more importantly leverage their market share and position to "squeeze" more out of its customers where it feels it can.

Anyway! We're off topic, so I won't post anymore on this matter...

Soldato
Had my price rise letter through, an extra 50p a week!.

:p

Username checks out :D

People have some strange misconception that a commercial service provider - who’s primary focus is to make a profit - should limit its price increases to ‘inflation’. This notion is laughable. The first test is usually to ask which ‘inflation’ figure they would like to use - you’re normally met with a pause while some googling takes place or a WTF look in person. The fact that of many accepted measures of inflation differ significantly and aren’t in any way representative of the actual costs to provide a service in an individual business seemingly gets ignored, because the notion that actual costs are directly related to what a business charges it’s customers is somehow magically not relevant.

Sky - potentially - doubled its customers speeds and yet people still get bent out of shape about a relatively insignificant price rise (hint: wholesale costs increased). Sky commits to partnering to developing a non OR network and again people are still upset prices have to go up (hint: actual new network build can be stupidly expensive and the payback period can be decades, just look at the cable industry and how well that played out). Sky spends money to defend it’s users rights against ‘speculative invoicing’ from 3rd party rights holders, it does so rather than handing them over without a fight (others literally folded at the first opportunity) and literally takes the case as far as is legally possible people still moan (hint: legal costs are quite horrific at this level). If people want to pay less, others will provide them with similar connectivity for less money, that’s the beauty of a competitive market - you have a choice and can leave mid contract if you feel the need without penalty.

I don’t and haven’t worked for Sky, but claiming moral outrage based on above ‘inflationary price rises’ without even bothering to try and understand how costs are made up is laughable.

Caporegime

People have some strange misconception that a commercial service provider - who’s primary focus is to make a profit - should limit its price increases to ‘inflation’. This notion is laughable. The first test is usually to ask which ‘inflation’ figure they would like to use - you’re normally met with a pause while some googling takes place or a WTF look in person. The fact that of many accepted measures of inflation differ significantly and aren’t in any way representative of the actual costs to provide a service in an individual business seemingly gets ignored, because the notion that actual costs are directly related to what a business charges it’s customers is somehow magically not relevant.

Sky - potentially - doubled its customers speeds and yet people still get bent out of shape about a relatively insignificant price rise (hint: wholesale costs increased). Sky commits to partnering to developing a non OR network and again people are still upset prices have to go up (hint: actual new network build can be stupidly expensive and the payback period can be decades, just look at the cable industry and how well that played out). Sky spends money to defend it’s users rights against ‘speculative invoicing’ from 3rd party rights holders, it does so rather than handing them over without a fight (others literally folded at the first opportunity) and literally takes the case as far as is legally possible people still moan (hint: legal costs are quite horrific at this level). If people want to pay less, others will provide them with similar connectivity for less money, that’s the beauty of a competitive market - you have a choice and can leave mid contract if you feel the need without penalty.

I don’t and haven’t worked for Sky, but claiming moral outrage based on above ‘inflationary price rises’ without even bothering to try and understand how costs are made up is laughable.

I like this one.

Caporegime

:D

Caporegime
Yeah they do still do the Pro, as i know someone who only got the Pro about a month or so ago now, and the MAX is just double the Pro.

Pro is still 80/20 but with a 12 month contract and no discounts. It'll only be offered if a customer specifically says they want a 12m contract.

Last edited:
Soldato
Double? I'm on 80/20 with Unlimited Pro.

The maximum FTTC profile available on a line is 80/20, that hasn’t and likely won’t change (technically it could, but the cost to roll it out relative to the number of people who could benefit when the plan is FTTP for everyone makes no sense).

Associate
I had no idea what this was and looked it up.

It appears nearly all ISP's use it, and force lookups through their own servers regardless.

This could also be cobblers as im not that techie

:D

Back
Top Bottom