Sky Q Router- Network connection but no internet

Associate
Hi,
I've just moved to Sky Q broadband, fibre as my old provider was much slower. However I have been tearing my hair out over devices connecting to the network, generally by Wifi which connect to the router but can't access the internet. Most devices are fine but my work laptop and TV have been playing up.

I had my old broadband router on (wireless internet) - thought that may have been causing the issue. Turned off for 24 hours - still occurred this morning.
I thought it was my work laptops VPN (Cisco Any Connect) - the TV took 24 hours of turning everything on and off many times to connect, via powerline (TP Link) wires / wifi.
I thought it may be my laptops ethernet adaptor (it doesn't have a socket so I got an Anker USB ethernet adaptor) - but it did it to the TV.

iPhones etc work fine.

The only thing I can think of is that both the TV and laptop have been connected by both wire and wireless, generally not at the same time but it has switched around a bit. With a USB adaptor it's very easy to unplug it, and then the laptop jumps to the wifi network etc. I think the problem started though when i plugged the adaptor into the USB socket, but before I connected that the the ethernet cable by the router.

The problem went away for the TV (for now) and the laptop is solvable by plugging the ethernet cable into the laptop, connects to network and internet, then disconnect, then connect to the wifi and it works OK. I need to run a network cable up to my home office but that will take a few weeks.

Really just trying to understand what I am doing wrong / whether this is a problem of my own making by jumping between wired and wireless? I can't pin it down to any one thing.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Start by simplifying your setup. Remove the other router (permanently) and the Powerline adapters/extenders (for now); plug the Sky router into the master socket; and factory reset the Sky router if you have changed any settings while trying to find a solution. Your TV - if it's within range of the router - should just work.

~cw

~cw

Associate
Two routers connected to the same physical network will cause problems, they'll be running competing DHCP servers and wireless will possibly also be competing.

You may have excessive interference in the 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands, you might need to run a wireless survey (loads of Android and Windows/Mac apps to do this) and find a less busy channel. Perhaps also resite the router to avoid any nearby electronics leaking RF from 'deafening' the Sky Q hub's wireless chipset.

Also try asking Sky to send you a Sky Q Booster (just a wifi repeater) - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...y-broadband-booster-to-improve-home-wifi.html - it might help if your locality is a busy for wifi networks.

If you want to run your old router on the same network, you'll need to disable its DHCP server (or make it a DHCP forwarder for your Sky Hub). Just buy a cheapo layer 2 switch (Netgear ProSafe GS108 or even a £15 TP-Link or Tenda gigabit switch) if you need the additional network ports.

However I've written this on the assumption that you're plugging the old router into the new Sky router without reconfiguring the old router. Are you running it differently?

Soldato
Take a step back.

First up, remove the old router from the equation as if it’s powered on, your devices may try and connect to it, and obviously that won’t work. Your devices have been set-up for your previous router, if you for example didn’t use DHCP, then you may have specified subnet/gateway IP’s that are not be compatible with your new router. Go to the networking options on the TV and reset it to defaults, if it’s going to be connected via Wi-fi, choose the Sky SSID and put the password in, it should now connect without issue assuming it can get a Wi-Fi signal. Same with the laptop, start with Wi-Fi, check the connection is set to obtain its config automatically, choose the Sky SSID and put your password in. Once you confirm both are working, you can configure static IP’s if required, just ensure you use the correct subnet/gateway settings and IP’s that are not in the DHCP pool range the router will be issuing from.

If you had a large number of devices then i’d suggest renaming the new SSID/changing the password to match the old one, but if you only have two left to do, then moot point, but worth considering for future migrations as it makes life easier.

Permabanned
All you have to do is litterally remove everything from the network, reset the router first.

Start by plugging in the router, get a connection, then connect a PC/Laptop/Smart Phone/Tablet to that device and test Internet. Then go from 1 device to another testing connectivity.

Soldato
I bought some Cat7 flat cables to try and get a cable to the middle floor in my house but it didn't work. It said it was connected but no internet. Apparently the CAT7 cables are not compatible with some routers, assumed my sky one was one of them! Worth checking your cable just in case.

Back
Top Bottom