1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by psd99, 30 Nov 2012.

1. MissChief

Capodecina

Yes. Cancelling in full means your phone number is lost. However if you migrate your talk and broadband services to another provider you can keep the number.

2. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Just in case anyone is wondering, nothing appeared in my Sky account, however I looked on my Q box and there was a 50% off offer for Cinema and Sports for 8 months so I've taken that. I'll then bite the bullet for the 2 months overlap at the end of the 8 months and then cancel fully and hopefully come back with another 60% off offer.

3. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

Can i use my Sky+ HD to view and record FreeSat and FreeSat HD channels without any subscription?

4. picnic

Wise Guy

Don't think so, Sky charge you to record. It'll only do live FreeSat TV

5. L1ght

Hitman

So if you take the offer from sky+ willl they give you the new q box?

6. rdb2012

Wise Guy

If you're just accepting a discount on your current tv then no you won't get Q.

7. MissChief

Capodecina

There are very few discounts available on the Q boxes themselves but any subs discount you already have, including the F1 Legacy HD pack WILL carry over to Q.

8. Cosmic182

Mobster

Sky are wanting £297 for 3 Q boxes :( This seems ridiculously expensive..

£99 for the main and £99 each for the 2 mini's.

9. barmyllama

Man of Honour

Rang them yesterday to try and get a better deal. Currently have 3 Sky boxes (2 recordable), a full channel package, Sky fibre and weekend phone calls. Paying £135 a month.

Upgrading to Sky Q would reduce the bill by one multi room subscription of about £12 but with an upfront cost of £297.

Virgin have a deal of £85 for VIP package of all channels, 200MB and anytime calls and two of their new V6 Tivo boxes. Plus £250 cashback via Quidco, effectively reducing the bill to less than £65 a month for the 12 month commitment. Plus I gain BT sport and won't loose the 13 channels that Sky loose from 1st February.

Best Sky could offer is reducing the Sky Q upfront cost to £199 from £297 or keep my existing equipment and reducing the bill to £107.

Looks like I'll be moving to Virgin.

Although I do have reservations over their internet reliability from being a customer in the past. And the last version of their Tivo box being fairly rubbish.

10. antijoke

Caporegime

I've just done the very same thing!

Sky wouldn't give me a decent deal on Q so moved to VIP with virgin and 200Mb gamer broadband and two V6 boxes for £90 ( got the cash back too). Compared to my current deal ending with sky and not giving anything near the 50% off I currently had and wanting up front install costs for Sky q (had everything with sky and two HD record boxes)

The V6 box is not slow at all, was my major worry after having virgin 3 years ago and hating the box, this is really good.

The only downside for me and one of great disappointment to me is a lack of HD content in the Sky Cinema section of on demand, wanted to watch Ant Man and it's not available in HD.

Supposedly in the virgin forum this is something that is going to be rectified soon (they said soon about 12 months ago so how much truth is in that I don't know).

Other than that no complaints really.

11. Maccy

Commissario

Just done the cancellation for my Dad, will wait and see if the 50% offer comes through. Whereabouts in the online account does it usually show?

12. ChrisD.

Caporegime

My Sky, then Offers & Upgrades.

13. Curlyriff

Wise Guy

See overall this package from Virgin with the V6 box looks really good but as I am locked to BT internet until I don't know when (been 2 years now) but then I might be able to look at the packages they do. The 200Mb speed would be great and I have fibre direct to home so don't see an issue with the speed itself.

The TV overall looks like it has improved to catch up with sky with the new box and in some cases surpass it even. However TV by itself is expensive and they really need to strike a deal on Atlantic.

The only thing with the box from Virgin is it does look like a VCR from the 90's haha. Not that it is end of world but they could have done a little more with it.

14. Maccy

Commissario

Cool thanks mate, will wait and see what pops up.

15. iMacMart

Capodecina

I went to Sky interactive on my home box and saw my 60% discount offer a week after cancelling

16. Kanpai

Mobster

If the removal of Discovery channels and Eurosport goes ahead, would this warrant a clause in the contract to terminate as there's almost 12 channels being removed?

17. ChrisD.

Caporegime

I am wondering this as well. I am ringing them tonight anyway as the Sports & Cinema I just took out is not HD so I want to cancel that.

18. rdb2012

Wise Guy

you can remove those from your online account

19. ChrisD.

Caporegime

It was an 8 month thing so I don't know if I can.

20. MissChief

Capodecina

Cinema channels are all HD without paying any extra now. Sports requires the Sports HD pack. You can change your TV subs while in contract giving 31 days notice.