*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

I'm getting close to one year in to an 18 month Virgin Media contract. We've been on a reduced rate for their full package for 12 months (£64), however if it's about to bounce up to £100 a month for the next 6.

Anyone hear if they are doing any prices increases soon. Very much want to get out of the £100 hit if I can avoid it! Seemed to recall Virgin have generally increased their prices twice a year?

Soldato
Sky have somehow broken my direct debit, bank refused their instruction and reversed the DD when they took it out (late). Bank says it's nothing to do with them it's up to Sky to fix their instructions, Sky are saying the bank has no funds and can't take payment. Bank are quite happy to give me evidence to show they are not at fault, Sky are being awkward, kept cutting me off, passing around departments and now waiting for callbacks... but I have to fix it with my bank or they'll start piling on late payment fees. Considering there are 4 other DD's that have come out correctly this week and funds are still in there, it's looking like Sky's issue and I'm getting fed up of being passed around just to pay their bill.

Soldato
Got fed up of Sky's phone departments, they kept telling me the issue was a lack of funds in my account. As they wouldn't give me anything in writing I opened up a live chat so I had some text evidence of my communication with them. They are now investigating my call recordings because apparently when I last cancelled my services they cancelled my direct debit, then when I re-activated my services through online chat they tried to use the old DD which no longer existed, but because there was now an unpaid bill on my account it wasn't possible for me or them to change my DD instructions without clearing the balance first with a card payment. My bank rightfully refunded the DD because Sky were using instructions they had told my bank were no longer active.

Phone billing department really had no clue at all what was going on, the live chat agent could see exactly what had happened and was able to explain how to fix it.

Associate
Started the annual Sky dance with the retentions department.

they opened with a 30% reduction on the TV for 18months. :(

I really wanted to continue the 50% rolling contract I've got currently until December when my fibre contract is due, but they cannot do that it seems.

Associate
Started the annual Sky dance with the retentions department.

they opened with a 30% reduction on the TV for 18months. :(

I really wanted to continue the 50% rolling contract I've got currently until December when my fibre contract is due, but they cannot do that it seems.

They started me at that, then went to 40%.
Cancelled, got 50% off EVERYTHING within 10 mins.

Associate
I cancelled.

To be honest, I might even just let it go and take the freeview/nowTV/Netflix/Prime plunge. It really is overpriced with the amount of streaming competition around.

The broadband is the same. They just can't compete with the likes of plusnet for price and surely the customer service can't be any worse than Sky?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I cancelled.

To be honest, I might even just let it go and take the freeview/nowTV/Netflix/Prime plunge. It really is overpriced with the amount of streaming competition around

It comes down to whether you are into their sporting rights. I'm not personally, while I've had sky for years it's getting to the point that I am not really willing to pay anything much for it. It's advantage over anything else has vanished bar the sports for the reasons you have mentioned.

Soldato
I effectively pay £19/month to Sky for an EPG - OK, so that is taking things down to basics. However 90% of the things I watch on Sky I'd be able to get through Now. Things on BBC/ITV/C4 etc through FreeView. I'm paying to have everything ready downloaded and accessible through one easy menu as opposed to streaming everything through numerous different platforms.
Is that worth £5/week to me? I decided yes when I renewed again a couple of months ago. But everyone will put their own value on that.

Associate
Its crazy the difference in offers you get. Discussing Fibre + Line Rental over the phone I was offered £32 a month (currently pay £20). Declined. Went to the website to cancel and offered £28. Declined. Went on to chat offered £18.99 month including line rental and got them to give me a £25 credit effectively making it £16.90 a month. Barmy. Time to work my charm on the TV department now that I have cancelled.

Update - Managed to get 60% off and a £50 credit off my original bundle TV package. £9 month down from £22.50. The 60% would have applied across all bundles though.

Total - Sky Original Bundle + Sky Fibre & Line Rental = £27.99 + £25 Fibre Credit, and £50 TV Credit.

Full Year = £335.88 - £75 = £21.74 month

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom