*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
Hey I just thought I'd add my subscription details. I signed up as a new customer in February and recieved the following offers
Entertainment - £12
HD - free
Boxsets - free
Broadband free
Line rental -£18
Total £30

An £8 discount on entertainment is linked to the fact I've got there line rental. So if I cancelled that the entertainment would go up to £20. BB & line rental is for 12 months and sky Q is for 18 months. I've recently added sports from both sky and BT for the following price
Complete sky sports in HD - £15
Complete bt sports (free hd for 3 months) £13
Total of both sports packages £28

Bt sport is for 12 months and adding sky sports has meant my full Q package is on a new 18 month contract. However I don't have a problem being in a long contact as I'm happy with the price and service. So my total monthly bill is £58 for sky Q entertainment, hd, boxsets, sports hd, bt sport, broadband and line rental.

Last edited:
Associate
You've got some pretty good deals. I always thought BT Sports were about £20+, I rarely check the BT website, surprised you could get them for £13.

Thanks I think I did quite well with the deals. For the bt sport somebody sent me a link to use to get it cheaper. It takes you direct to the ordering process with bt and you just enter your sky viewing number in. When I did it, it was £12.99 but when I tried yesterday with my granddad's viewing card it's increased to £13.99 however it's still a really good deal. No activation fee and hd free for 3 months and then you can decide weather to keep it for £6.50 or not after its over. So if you or anyone is interested in adding the bt sport to sky use the link I'll put below. But just be aware it's for new subscribers only and is for a minimum of 12 months. But I hope it'll help some people with a discount.
https://secureorder.bt.com/consumer...1_1534853541_1b9a7b11fb51fa125829745a5b823ccd

Associate
Good stuff for people who're interested in getting them.

Also for reference, Sky have come to an agreement with BT and will be offering BT Sports straight to Sky customers from January. No word on the price or the specifics yet, but it will all be unified under one bill from now on for people who want BT Sports.

And the Netflix app is soon to follow by year's end on Sky Q.

Soldato
Those are great deals for you, problem with Sky is these deals are never available to all. They need to update their site and make it more like a buying online experience, so I could by x,y,z put in a basket and checkout with a date for installation. Instead I get a letter with pretty random offers and a link to purchase online, avoiding a £20 fee, which doesn't work. My 30 days notice to virgin is up on 30th Sept so its probably already too late to get broadband up and running. I'm looking for SkyQ 2Tb for UHD, all sports, Sky Entertainment and their fastest broadband/phone package in a deal for 18months. Gets very confusing on the site and I cant seem to find a way to buy a suitable package at a reasonable price online, oh and I will not speak to anyone on the phone or online chat as my blood pressure gets SKY high, LOL.

Associate
Those are great deals for you, problem with Sky is these deals are never available to all. They need to update their site and make it more like a buying online experience, so I could by x,y,z put in a basket and checkout with a date for installation. Instead I get a letter with pretty random offers and a link to purchase online, avoiding a £20 fee, which doesn't work. My 30 days notice to virgin is up on 30th Sept so its probably already too late to get broadband up and running. I'm looking for SkyQ 2Tb for UHD, all sports, Sky Entertainment and their fastest broadband/phone package in a deal for 18months. Gets very confusing on the site and I cant seem to find a way to buy a suitable package at a reasonable price online, oh and I will not speak to anyone on the phone or online chat as my blood pressure gets SKY high, LOL.

The website works the way you describe it if you try to sign up as a new customer, but for existing customers some of those offers may not be available - this could be because they may not be eligible for them (for example they already have the products advertised) or because Sky would like to offer them something different and want them to discuss with an advisor.

Regarding the offers themselves, as I said they can be different because the system generates offers based on account history. I think I've mentioned it before here that the system takes everything into account, like account history, subscription history, payment history, even the postcode, and generates offers afterwards.

On one hand someone can say that this is unfair and that it fragments the market, or that it categorizes customers and that it does not mean every customer is equal - why should someone pay £20 and someone else £11 for the same thing?

On the other hand, someone else can say that two customers can not be equal when it comes to offers, when one has been with the company for 4 months and the other for 15 continuous years - they should not have access to the same things, as loyalty must be rewarded.

It's a very big talk and issue, and Sky are trying to tackle it as effectively as they can. They are in a good place right now, they can afford to not give out a lot of massive discounts, and are trying to make it that people will soon start paying more on average so that in a few years time it will all normalize.

To answer your question, we have a pinned Friends & Family topic on the top of this sub-forum where MissChief and I are giving some available F&F codes. Check it out and let me know if you're interested in one.

Soldato
Oh thats great, Sky want to make their customers pay more. A year ago I left Sky after 25yrs loyalty because I was paying £134.99pm and every day reading how 'new customers' were getting the same deal for less than half what I was paying. Now you are saying Sky want more money. Thanks for the offer of a code mate (all gone anyway) but to be honest I'm not sure I want to come back to Sky anyway after reading your post.

Associate
Oh thats great, Sky want to make their customers pay more. A year ago I left Sky after 25yrs loyalty because I was paying £134.99pm and every day reading how 'new customers' were getting the same deal for less than half what I was paying. Now you are saying Sky want more money. Thanks for the offer of a code mate (all gone anyway) but to be honest I'm not sure I want to come back to Sky anyway after reading your post.

I get what you're saying, but £135 is not the average Sky customer monthly spend. £135 means you had a complete account with all premium channels, probably 2 boxes, Fibre and possibly a call package. And yes, it is a lot of money.

Average customer spend until 1-2 years ago was around £50-60, with a basic TV subscription, one premium channel (Sports or Cinema), Broadband or Fibre, and no call package. Sky are trying to increase this to about £70-£75 because right now they can afford to make the increase.

Even the Friends & Family codes I mentioned reflect this increase - two years ago they offered the complete package for £30. The latest ones we have are offering the same thing for £45.

I have a few left if you want one, and I only offered one since you said your cancellation with Virgin is up at the end of the month, so after that you don't have something sorted. I can tell you more if you want, feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Soldato
My package goes up to £97 soon for everything sky q full package. Only paying £37 now. If I downgrade what's the cheapest I could pay with no movies or sports does anyone know ?

Man of Honour
Am at the end of my Sky Q contract...currently have Sky Q, 4 mini boxes, sports (but not BT sport), movies, box sets, the middle line rental package (free calls after 7?), fibre unlimited, a princely 140 quid a month.

My fibre is rubbish because I'm far away from the exchange and eventhough 4G gives me about 25mbit I worked out I use far too much data for that to be sensible.

So I need to keep the whole Sky thing, but phone up and pretend I don't!

Hopefully get it to under 100 as I'm sure it was around that when I signed up presumably with 6m half price offers etc.

Associate
Am at the end of my Sky Q contract...currently have Sky Q, 4 mini boxes, sports (but not BT sport), movies, box sets, the middle line rental package (free calls after 7?), fibre unlimited, a princely 140 quid a month.

My fibre is rubbish because I'm far away from the exchange and eventhough 4G gives me about 25mbit I worked out I use far too much data for that to be sensible.

So I need to keep the whole Sky thing, but phone up and pretend I don't!

Hopefully get it to under 100 as I'm sure it was around that when I signed up presumably with 6m half price offers etc.

You should be able to get something close to £105 for all this.

Soldato
I've got a month until my current subscription runs out - Entertainment, Boxed Sets, HD and I've been paying £19/month, it's apparently going up to £39.50/month when my next bill arrives.
So, I'm planning on giving Sky a call this afternoon. I'm going to be seeking:
Entertainment/HD/Q Experience/2TB Box/1 additional mini/Sky Fibre Max. According to the website, if I were a new customer ordering all this it would cost me £115 upfront and then £62/month
I've got Platinum VIP which apparently reduces my upfront costs to basically nothing - I don't know how Sky are on pricing these days, I'm wanting to pay less than that £62/month but I guess we'll see how accommodating they will be.

Caporegime
Well with comcast taking ownership we should all expect the sub to double in price :p One of the worst companies in the world!
In most of the US there's no choice in provider so they can limit, throttle, block and charge what they like. The UK market isn't like that and in reality they'll likely be pretty hands off for a few years at least.

Associate
My sky TV contract is about to finish and was researching when I came across this forum. Would like the thoughts of people here.

Currently paying £30 a month for everything thing on sky (sports, movies, HD, box sets.. Pretty much everything). Had this for the past 2.5 years. Initially on a 12 month contract which they extended for another 18 months.

I technically only really need sports and the sky entertainment package in HD. They are now offering just this for £36 on 18 month contract.
Entertainment - £20
Sports - £15 (free sports HD)
HD on anothers - £1

This is still higher than what I used to pay after having cut out a lot of stuff that I had before and can't bring myself to justify paying more for less. I know was on a great deal but still...

Any thoughts or tips in dealing with sky?

Back
Top Bottom