*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
Right, I'm at the end of my Sky contract in Jan - can anyone give me an idea of what sort of deals Sky are offering these days?

At the moment we just have the standard Sky HD boxes with multiroom and so I'd imagine it will be a Sky Q upgrade!

Soldato
Well I called and wasn't the best.

Currently paying £49 for the below:

SKY Entertainment
SKY Q 2tb & Mini Box
Ultimate On Demand
SKY HD
SKY Kids

But its going up to £62 next month as my Entertainment, HD and Kids is expiring. Best the retentions guy could do was £55 but there was also a £10 admin fee to renew which is new to me. Didn't ever need that before on any package renegotiation.

Now looking back on posts here, loads of people getting HD and Kids for £1 which isn't what I am being offered. I just want to pay what I have been paying before. They also never offered me to refund or credit the admin fee as someone above posted about.

Is it pure luck people get a decent deal.

Caporegime
Just opened discussions on a new contract. Have basically been offered standard new customer prices.

FTTC (min 63 Mb) + HD Entertainment (no on-demand) + free UK calls

(no movies or sports or Netflix)

£44.

Std price for new customers is £47. Was told this is the best price and comes with 18 month contract.

This is also to re-use my existing equipment and not get a Sky Q box. However there is no discount for doing this, it's just personal preference. I like that my 2TB HD box is mine; Sky Q equip is always leased and never owned.

This doesn't strike me as their best offer, so I said I'd think about it. Anyone here managed to get a better deal?

e: Cheers mods, didn't see this thread. I even searched :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Just opened discussions on a new contract. Have basically been offered standard new customer prices.

FTTC (min 63 Mb) + HD Entertainment (no on-demand) + free UK calls

(no movies or sports or Netflix)

£44.

Std price for new customers is £47. Was told this is the best price and comes with 18 month contract.

This is also to re-use my existing equipment and not get a Sky Q box. However there is no discount for doing this, it's just personal preference. I like that my 2TB HD box is mine; Sky Q equip is always leased and never owned.

This doesn't strike me as their best offer, so I said I'd think about it. Anyone here managed to get a better deal?

e: Cheers mods, didn't see this thread. I even searched :/

The benefit to not owning it is that Sky replace it if it becomes faulty, it’s not like there is a massive demand for used 2TB SkyHD boxes with massive amounts of hours on the drives. If you want the best deal, you need to actually disconnect and wait till the mailers start.

Caporegime
The benefit to not owning it is that Sky replace it if it becomes faulty, it’s not like there is a massive demand for used 2TB SkyHD boxes with massive amounts of hours on the drives. If you want the best deal, you need to actually disconnect and wait till the mailers start.
Well you've got to pay to send it back after your sub expires. Also I've heard of people being charged for not sending it back after sending it back (allegedly).

Also I was told they couldn't waive the £50 installation fee for having a new Q box (£199 installation if you have the 2tb Q "silver" box - yowch!). That takes the pee when the box isn't even yours to keep.

But anyway, £44 doesn't seem like a terrific deal now I've had a chance to read what some others in this thread have got.

Soldato
Well you've got to pay to send it back after your sub expires. Also I've heard of people being charged for not sending it back after sending it back (allegedly).

Also I was told they couldn't waive the £50 installation fee for having a new Q box (£199 installation if you have the 2tb Q "silver" box - yowch!). That takes the pee when the box isn't even yours to keep.

But anyway, £44 doesn't seem like a terrific deal now I've had a chance to read what some others in this thread have got.

Pay? They send you packaging materials and offer free returns via collect+ and Royal Mail. You only pay if you choose not to use either of those options. As both services provide you with proof of sending and Sky clearly state to retain this (just take a photo), what you suggest seems like you would have to go out of your way to have to pay for the return or be charged for non returned equipment.

Deals are based on criteria, what you can get based on your circumstances is not what everyone else may be able to get, 50% is easy post disconnection, more used to be possible, not sure what the limit is now.

Soldato
I cancelled as don't watch it enough to warrant the £36 they wanted only just rejoined on an 18 month contract including movies, boxsets and HD for £21.

Took about 2 months for the decent offers to come in and 3 more months for me to bite.

Associate
My contract was up but I just got a deal on black Friday and it was for £45 this includes sky Entertainment, superfast fibre with boost, HD, multiroom , ultimate on demand and unlimited anytime calls.
I had to sign up for another 18 month contract.

Caporegime
My contract was up but I just got a deal on black Friday and it was for £45 this includes sky Entertainment, superfast fibre with boost, HD, multiroom , ultimate on demand and unlimited anytime calls.
I had to sign up for another 18 month contract.
Thanks, that's what I was trying for myself. Although earlier in the thread somebody got that price for all of the above and movies as well.

But what they offered me was pap in comparison. Guess I keep trying :p

Caporegime
Meh, tried again via Facebook Messenger today. Advisor says, "All our deals are available online when you sign into your account. Thanks for contacting Sky."

The consistency when you contact Sky is just non-existent. This one was absolutely not offering any reductions at all. Full price or nothing. Told them I'd cancel then and wait for offers like everybody else does.

Caporegime
FB messenger will be a bot, a very good one, sometimes indistinguishable. You’d be far better calling.
Spoke to someone in cancellations and the very, very best they could offer me was £60 for broadband and TV. Not even the full TV package.

So I've cancelled. Will look at picking up a Freesat recorder since my 2TB Skybox is now a paperweight (or will be soon!).

The advisor flat out said I couldn't they couldn't match the new customer offer prices for existing customers. Been with Sky 11 years but that counts for nothing. Or maybe even works against me, if they don't think I'm serious about leaving.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
They’ll call you back. I think there’s an option in your profile for marketing comms. Make sure phone is ticked.

If you can live for a while, let it go through, after a short period you’ll get offers. @MissChief may be able to advise.

Caporegime
Ah yes, good shout, I've re-enabled all comms channels. Phone, email, post :p Let the offers commence!

I can live without Sky TV altogether tbh, but Mum will have to find something else to do now in the evening, besides watching the documentary/animal channels. I only really have Sky for her. My viewing habits are BBC, ITV (purely for Family Guy), Film4... free stuff, basically.

The rest of the channels are (imho) 97% crap.

Associate
I was paying about £42 for a deal of football and basic channels and HD. When my deal ran out they wanted nearly £52. I told them I wanted to cancel because I could not afford £52. I told them best I could do was £30. They basically told me no chance so I left. They gave me the old ...If you leave you won't get offered any new deals for 18 months. Well after 4 weeks the offered me a deal for £35... I ignored them and after about 1 month later they offered me what I wanted for £26. Well if it wasn't for me being half way through moving house I would have snatched their hand off. I though that was the end but 2 days ago another letter offering the same deal at £26 again. This time going to get the Mrs to ring them and ask if we can have that deal when we move in about 2 weeks. All I can say is at the end of your deal just tell them you leaving and stick to your guns they will more than likely offer a good deal in the end especially if you've been a long time sky customer....

Back
Top Bottom