Sky+

Associate
The 'Cancelled Sky' post has inspired this thread. I've recently acquired a mini dish and sky+ box, I don't really want to subscribe to Sky, as 'tis quite expensive. I'd like to set it up (if possible) just to receive the bog standard free channels that you get with freeview which would allow me to schedule and record programmes?

I'm not too sure whether or not this would work without any involvement from Sky. I can't see why it wouldn't.

Anyone know anything about this kind of stuff?

Associate
OP
I just assumed that it had two feeds into the box, one which was cached / whatever. I don't really know, but if it does work the way that I thought, I can't see how the £10(?) subscription is necessary. Just thought it was a way for Sky to take more money from you.

Soldato
Your dish needs two LNB's to use both feeds on the back of the box. That way you could record one and watch the other.

As for the subscription, doesn't that work in conjunction with the EPG to auto record programs you like? I *think* the box isn't clever enough just to look for the name of the program, I'm sure something comes down the sky feed with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
fini said:
? Are you sure?

fini

99% Sure as thats how i used it for a month before i changed
my LnB and ran in the Co-ax.

Just trying to think if i subscribed before i upgraded my LnB, dont think i did
thou, but i may be wrong.

Andy

Soldato
I have Sky+. As I'm moving house soon I cancelled the package completely. It has reverted to freeview only with no PVR. Bit of a rip off considering I paid £300 for the box and it now does nothing.

Soldato
Sky switch of the PVR functionality when you cancel. Those who have had the facitily after canceling have just been lucky.

They thought I'd not paid my bill a few months ago and turned of PVR so it was just a basic sky box. So it does require a subscription.

Back
Top Bottom