Skylake non k bclk overclock - questions

Associate
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about overclocking non k skylake cpu's which I haven't yet been able to find answers for. Currently, it seems like it could be a viable option for the build that I am currently buying components for.

Firstly, I understand that there is no core temp readouts. Does this mean that the motherboard won't be able to throttle the cpu if it's temperature gets too hot? Or is it just the case that you cannot read the temperatures from Windows? I am very space limited with the case for my new itx build - do you think a corsair h60 would be sufficient to cool a 6700 at around 4.4/4.5ghz at, say, 1.3v?

Also, is overclocking in this way producing benchmark results consistent with k multiplier overclocks? I have seen that it does more or less with asrock boards, but they are the only company to the best of my knowledge that have released factory bios for this purpose. Have any other companies, or do they plan to?

Thanks,
Richard

Associate
OP
http://overclocking.guide/category/intel-oc-guides/skylake-non-k-oc/

You'll find a lot of info in these articles written by de8auer (8 pack's more efficient cousin)

Also HWMonitor still works for temp readouts.

Yes I have been getting through those articles, I just wished there was more benchmark comparisons with k multiplier overclocks..

Everywhere I have read has said temperatures cannot be read, are you certain that they can be? If so, this may well be factor that makes me go for a 6700 and bclk it.

I'm far concerned with that than the lack of c states/turbo etc. I had to have my 2500k hackintosh running at 4.5ghz constantly for a year or so, although that wasn't in a tiny itx case admittedly! I won't really be able to fit a aio bigger than a h60. A h80i would literally be resting against the psu...

Associate
I'm definitely interesting in seeing this, though I might wait until my warranty expires.

I went with a non-k 6600 and the asrocxk z170m Extreme4 board.

Also interested to see how well the RAM overclocks.

Associate
OP
I'm definitely interesting in seeing this, though I might wait until my warranty expires.

I've got a 6600 non ok on backorder for £155. I've been debating whether to cancel it. I'm tempted to just wait it out and guinea pig a bclk overclock. I just wish I knew whether I'd be able to read temps... It would most likely be a deal breaker if I couldn't. I'm surprised there isn't more information about this online. There's people adamant that it's impossible and people who say it's doable. If you ever try overclocking yours, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some feedback.

OcUK Staff
Motherboard software such as auisuite is reading temps on Asus boards.

6700 non K same perf clock for clock as 6700k appart from in avx instructions. Games don't use avx.

At i5 the 6400 is better value for sure.

I am offering 2oc bundles on our website i3 and i5 with BIOS profiles uploaded. So if u want to buy something that for sure works try one. Single 120mm aio easy enough to cool i5 upto 1.4v or below.

Associate
OP
Motherboard software such as auisuite is reading temps on Asus boards.

6700 non K same perf clock for clock as 6700k appart from in avx instructions. Games don't use avx.

At i5 the 6400 is better value for sure.

I am offering 2oc bundles on our website i3 and i5 with BIOS profiles uploaded. So if u want to buy something that for sure works try one. Single 120mm aio easy enough to cool i5 upto 1.4v or below.

I need an itx board unfortunately. Have asus even released a non k overclock bios for the z170 pro gaming itx?

It's good to know that you can read the temps in ai suite though. Do they seem accurate?

Associate
Ok upgraded from a core2 Xeon to a Skylake

Got an average of 1 fps increase on 3DMark 11 Performance with a AMD380 @stock.

Got a few more fps once I overclocked to 4500 on my I5 6400

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/10777674/3dm11/10777234/3dm11/10767659

Passmark 5455.5 @4.5
Realbench system score 80408 @4.5

PS Just to confirm both AISUITE and HWinfo64 do show the CPU temps but running them side by side they don't match each other.

i.e AISUITE shows idle 34 and load 55 (prime 10 mins)
HWINFO shows idle 46 and load 67 (prime 10 mins)

I just looked at the higher temps

Permabanned
can you just confirm you went from an core2 Xeon --> skylake and only get a little increase in performance?

Edit: just looked at your link your getting a good 40% in increase
all the fps show is the gpu was not been held back by the xeon in the none cpu bound tests, however NEW GPU DAY... ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok upgraded from a core2 Xeon to a Skylake

Got an average of 1 fps increase on 3DMark 11 Performance with a AMD380 @stock.

Got a few more fps once I overclocked to 4500 on my I5 6400

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/10777674/3dm11/10777234/3dm11/10767659

Passmark 5455.5 @4.5
Realbench system score 80408 @4.5

PS Just to confirm both AISUITE and HWinfo64 do show the CPU temps but running them side by side they don't match each other.

i.e AISUITE shows idle 34 and load 55 (prime 10 mins)
HWINFO shows idle 46 and load 67 (prime 10 mins)

I just looked at the higher temps

That's good to know, thanks. I think I'm just going to go with the 6600k now though thanks to a tax rebate!

Soldato

I had my i5 6600 (the £155 one that has been on back order for weeks) delivered yesterday to my surprise. I'm interested to see how people have coped with this chip, especially CorrodedTemplar as you have the same motherboard as me.

Associate
Jumping into this thread as my quesiotn about non-k CPU coolers hasn't had a reply yet.

Do we know for certain ASRock removed the OC feature because Intel told them to? I've not seen anything form Intel saying this, just the fact that ASRock removed it.

Surely people can carry on using the un-official BIOS's?

I have a MSI z170m board and an i5 6400 that I'm interested in OCing.It will also potentially lose temp readouts and turbo mode. Is OCing worth this trade-off?

And again, what CPU cooler should I be looking at? Preferably a low-profile one, as I'm in a mATX case.

OcUK Staff
You guys may be extremely dissapointed soon. See here. It was bound to happen sooner or later and if the microcode get's bundled in a windows update there is little you will be able to do about it, especially if you are on windows 10.

Don't install the update or change Bios your fine. Win 10 Pro u can disable all this stuff no issue.

On ASRock OCF u can select which microcode to load at Bios level just select any you wish.

Soldato
Don't install the update or change Bios your fine. Win 10 Pro u can disable all this stuff no issue.

On ASRock OCF u can select which microcode to load at Bios level just select any you wish.

I would like to know how. Also not many people use Win 10 pro.

Soldato

Any chance you could let us know where you need to make those changes?

Soldato
Any chance you could let us know where you need to make those changes?

Well if you look at the user agreement for Windows 10 and the rolling release nature of updates, the OS won't allow for this. If you can shut off the update system in Windows 10 then you are a better man than anyone I know.

Edit: Seems the only version of Windows 10 that this would be a possibility is Windows 10 enterprise, and then you only have the ability to delay/schedule some the updates.

Edit2: Seems even in Windows 10 enterprise edition you don't have full control over updates. A fix for the Skylake calculation problems would probably fall into a forced update queue and thats a BIOS level fix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom