• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Soldato
Hmm I've been waiting for this. I might just drop the cash for the 7900X and leave it at that. Having more cores is important to me and if it can boost to 4.5Ghz that would be pretty cool. Haven't heard anything about the new AMD platform though.

Associate
Why would you want it on its own rather than in a bundle with top board and mems. Then you get the best all round. That makes no sense.

Personally, I would like to pick a board and sticks myself and a bundle may not offer either I am interested in.

The price idea in this thread would be decent, however as many others have said, are likely on the low side.

Associate
Core i9-7900X 999$
X299 Asus rampage 600$
dominators 400 $

gtx 1080ti ftw 3 already brought (done)
2000$ are waiting for new rig

Very nice sir!

Core i9-7820K £600
Asus X299 Strix £325
16GB RAM (*) quad £200
AIO (if no new bracket is provided)
Samsung 960 Evo £240

(*if 16 will suffice with Skylake-X for gaming?)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Very nice sir!

Core i9-7820K £600
Asus X299 Strix £325
16GB RAM (*) quad £200
AIO (if no new bracket is provided)
Samsung 960 Evo £240

(*if 16 will suffice with Skylake-X for gaming?)

Wouldn't you be better waiting for Coffelake, as that will be the mainstream 6 core CPU?

Associate
Wouldn't you be better waiting for Coffelake, as that will be the mainstream 6 core CPU?

That was the original plan indeed. However I prefer 8 over 6 cores, and wouldn't mind finally jumping on the HEDT platform to have a the better processor and get rid of the silly iGPU.

I am, however, waiting to see how it all unfolds rather than buying upon launch.

Oh and it's supposed to be launched this August - CL is. Asus probably won't update the 100 series BIOS...is my guess anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well we got already 8 core Broadwell E 6900K overcllocked to 4.2 a bit faster than 4.0 1800x.
Considering skylake 8 core will have even better IPC and better overclockability over Broadwell E ( so more than 4.2 ) it can be quite a bit faster than 1800x. Correct me if im wrong here?

The issues is the base clock. Base clock is basically what a chip guarantees for all cores maxed out. The 10 core is only going to guarantee 3.3Ghz with all 10 cores fully loaded. This platform can obviously be used for gaming but it's supposed to be more about heavy load situations and needing more cores. So in the majority of cases you would want this platform you're looking at using all cores and 3.3Ghz for the 10 core, maybe lower or maybe the same for the 12 core. It's rumoured that the 16 core AMD chips with 20W higher TDP will have base clocks around the same.

If people are making the argument that 7700k is a better gaming chip than the 1700-1800x because you don't need the 8 cores but more clock speed, then similar goes for Skylake-X, for real workstation duty more cores generally wins.

I suspect a 3.3Ghz base 16 core Zen will compare extremely favourably with a 3.1-3.3Ghz base clock 12 core Skylake-x for most of the duties such a platform exists for.

Higher clock speeds for if you want the platform for a mix of gaming and other heavier duty works could easily be in Skylake-x's favour, with higher clocks when not all cores are heavily loaded and it's not at TDP for sure, but how much better and at what price premium will be interesting. It also looks like AMD's platform has a heck of a lot more pci-e natively(though some might be disable or non working and in effect not usable for the 2 socket platform due to lacking pci-e connections).

The Kabylake-x though, is just dumb. If you have enough to go for £200+ mobo and buy into the HEDT platform, you have enough for more than 4 cores, if you are tight on money, then 4 cores on a cheaper platform with Intel or 6-8 cores with Zen is also far preferable. The sole thing Kabylake-x has is tdp. Natively it will boost higher than 7700k because it has what, a 20-25% higher tdp, but who the hell can't overclock their 7700k and get the same thing anyway?

If you want some kind of IO monster station without much CPU grunt, there will be better platforms than HEDT which really isn't making IO monster mobos and that isn't it's market and those quad cores have less pci-e lanes so less options to run lots of extra storage cards. Again for some kind of machine without much CPU power but a hell of a lot of pci-e and potential storage options then something ARM, or proper server or seemingly AMD's IO monster Naples is going to be great.

Man of Honour
The issues is the base clock. Base clock is basically what a chip guarantees for all cores maxed out. The 10 core is only going to guarantee 3.3Ghz with all 10 cores fully loaded. This platform can obviously be used for gaming but it's supposed to be more about heavy load situations and needing more cores. So in the majority of cases you would want this platform you're looking at using all cores and 3.3Ghz for the 10 core, maybe lower or maybe the same for the 12 core. It's rumoured that the 16 core AMD chips with 20W higher TDP will have base clocks around the same.

Average 6950X 10 core will run 4.4ghz all day long in a good board with decent cooling, I have not seen any Ryzen CPUs get much above 4.0ghz whatever you do to them in normal use.

The 12 core 7920X will probably do the same or better clocks than the 6950X.

Soldato
Average 6950X 10 core will run 4.4ghz all day long in a good board with decent cooling
Silicon Lottery only managed to get 24% of their 6950Xs to 4.4GHz when they were selling them, so I don't think that the "average" chip will do that at all. Most seem to do 4.3 at best, and power draw/temperatures get absolutely silly even then.
At 4.3GHz using a 1.38V setting, and despite a great water-cooling solution, we're looking at a sky-high 240W result. Playing with AVX-optimized apps while keeping the processor from dropping its clock rate can get us all the way to 270W. At 240W, only the best cooling solutions can handle the Core i7-6950X. Because the area that needs to be cooled is small, the cores quickly get up to 90 degrees Celsius while the water is only at 34 degrees. The package doesn't do any better, which means that overclocking Intel's Core i7-6950X to this extent is a fool’s errand. We don't recommend going over 4.0 or 4.1GHz, depending on the quality of your sample. Anything higher turns the CPU into a space heater.
Just one example from Tom's Hardware, but it's a pattern repeated across all the reviews. Some like Guru3D and Bit-tech got 4.4 "stable", but with temperatures hitting 100 degrees on some cores on water.

Man of Honour
******* ******* only managed to get 24% of their 6950Xs to 4.4GHz when they were selling them, so I don't think that the "average" chip will do that at all. Most seem to do 4.3 at best, and power draw/temperatures get absolutely silly even then.

Just one example from Tom's Hardware, but it's a pattern repeated across all the reviews. Some like Guru3D and Bit-tech got 4.4 "stable", but with temperatures hitting 100 degrees on some cores on water.

Remember I said with a decent motherboard like the Rampage V Edition 10, then 4.4ghz is easy.

Guru3D and Bit Tech did not use a custom water loop unlike most people who are going get the 6950X. Some of these review sites really don't know how to review anything !!!

For the record one of my 6950Xs is used in a benching rig which only has room for a couple of low profile 420mm rads despite having to share the cooling with 4 Pascal Titans, even with this setup and an ambient room temp of at least 25C the CPU when overclocked does not get anywhere near 100C.

Associate
At least with AMD you can disable the packaged spyware. Intel is a hardware problem. Intel are also more expensive price/performance. Thank god for AMD competition, although they're hardly the perfect company themselves.

Soldato
Average 6950X 10 core will run 4.4ghz all day long in a good board with decent cooling, I have not seen any Ryzen CPUs get much above 4.0ghz whatever you do to them in normal use.

The 12 core 7920X will probably do the same or better clocks than the 6950X.

I don't think he mentioned overclocking beyond the manufacturers specified base clocks, he was pointing at the official figures. Might come as shocking news, but the majority of the chips sold will never be overclocked, so people still look at performance out of the box.

Man of Honour
I don't think he mentioned overclocking beyond the manufacturers specified base clocks, he was pointing at the official figures. Might come as shocking news, but the majority of the chips sold will never be overclocked, so people still look at performance out of the box.

He was avoiding the overclock as he knows Ryzen is not as good at it.:)

Back
Top Bottom