• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Man of Honour
Different core/thread count for a start, different cache amount. They both turbo to 4.0Ghz so no different there between the two. Neither require them to be overclocked to 4.0GHz though and the money saved is that they both turbo at 4.0GHz but the additional cores allow for faster render times which because they are constantly being used soon adds up at work.

In regards to TDP, the Xeon are lower TDP but they are lower turbo for the same core count as well. They are no more efficient really at the same core frequency. Take the Xeon E5-2650 which turbos at 3GHz that TDP is still only 105w and the 6950x is 140w. That is a large IPC difference for TPD level.

In regards to overclocking anyways. We don't overclock any CPU due to warranty which would be void and no good if anything goes wrong. Could we get more performance to overclock to 4.4GHz where possible, of course but it is a works machine and replacing them would be costly so that is a no go and also a reason why Overclockers are selling CPU's with warranty at higher costs because that where the market is.

The extra £400 on top of the cost of the 6950X to get Overclockers to provide the system at 4.4GHz with warranty isn't bad however we have had these prior to the bundle release. In any future build we would certainly look into these although the £400 difference would be better for 64GB RAM over the 32GB between the CPU overclocked or not.

You do realise that not all the cores turbo to 4.0 on these CPUs.

Taking the above into account you would get more performance from an 8 core running @4.0ghz than you would a stock 6950X.

Soldato
With less pci-e lanes so the ability to only use half the slots, I sincerely doubt that. Remember x99 has 6 cores and 28pci-e lanes compared to what 20 or 24 pci-e lanes on z270 with only 4 cores. The new quad cores will be on the more expensive mobos but render half the features of that mobo useless with only 16x pci-e and dual channel mem. That is why I mentioned a similar situation on z270 would be a single core with 8x pci-e and half the pci-e slots not being connected.

There is also little indications the quad cores on the new platform will offer good value for money. They lack the igpu(though most don't use it) of the z270 equivalent quads but will probably cost similarly.

In a mining rig, only one lane is required per slot / gpu. There's no reduction in hashing power by reducing that bandwidth.

So less lanes from the cpu would be OK so long as they were spread across the available slots on the board. That is the case with the reduced lane x99 cpus. You would also still have full use of the lanes provided by the chipset.

Soldato
You do realise that not all the cores turbo to 4.0 on these CPUs.

Taking the above into account you would get more performance from an 8 core running @4.0ghz than you would a stock 6950X.

Yes but they are both the same settings out of box for the other one you mentioned and as said won't overclock at work because it voids warranty.

As said the OcUK warranty ones were not available and even then the extra RAM works out better for our work set.

The way rendering works with the programs we have means that more cores win out over faster cores (to a point).

Associate
Compared to the previous (current) gen I am curious about how good the trade-off is in terms of Skylake-X its much higher L2 cache vs its slightly lower L3 cache, overall. I'm sure many of you are knowledgeable enough to spew some ideas for me.

Soldato
Yes but they are both the same settings out of box for the other one you mentioned and as said won't overclock at work because it voids warranty.

They would never be able to tell if it did go back faulty unless it was utterly fried. Anyway, presume you didn't know intel sell an extended warranty to cover it for like $50.

These new chips all sound like they are going to cost me a fortune, but I'll probably be smiling while I hand it over :)

Soldato
Looks very interesting, plenty of good stuff in the pipeline but too rich for me. Luckily there is some competition so paupers like me can still get decent performance for £300.

Really looking forward to see how all this new multicore competition pans out. Whoever comes out on top it's going to be a win for the enthusiasts.

Associate
I'm still either eyeing CFL-S 6C/12T (if it'll exist; I wouldn't put it past Intel to only release it without HT) or SKL-X 7820X. I need to see the performance, cache design consequences and prices compared first before I can make a wise decision.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Why would you want it on its own rather than in a bundle with top board and mems. Then you get the best all round. That makes no sense.

i will be getting Skylake-X and would love a binned 10 core CPU but only the cpu
i plan to take my CL14 3200Mhz Gskill kit with me from X99 and maybe the motherboard you have in your bundle might not be what i want for a variety of reasons

Associate
dont forget guys, Turboboost 3.0 working differently than classic Turbo 2.0. With edhanced multicore settings CPU working always (in hard benchmarks) with TB 2.0. TB 3.0 only for single thread. Without multicore enabled CPU working at stock properties. TB2.0 works up to few cores are loaded. All cores at stock clocks+ ussually next 2 turbo bins up.

Associate
dont forget guys, Turboboost 3.0 working differently than classic Turbo 2.0. With edhanced multicore settings CPU working always (in hard benchmarks) with TB 2.0. TB 3.0 only for single thread. Without multicore enabled CPU working at stock properties. TB2.0 works up to few cores are loaded. All cores at stock clocks+ ussually next 2 turbo bins up.

That's nothing new. Asus will find a way and of not just set it yourself, easy enough :)

Associate
SiSoftware Official Live Ranker

Details for Result ID Intel(R) ,i7*-7900X%CPU @ (10C 20T 4GHz/4.5GHz, 2.4GHz IMC, 10x 1MB L2, 13.75MB L3)

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...d5e3daebdfe9dbfd8fb282a4c1a499a98ffcc1f9&l=en

i7-7900X 10C (4.0 GHz) = 1386.94Mpix/s
i7-6950X 10C (4.50 GHz) = 897.28Mpix/s
i7-6950X 10C (3.50 GHz) = 746.64Mpix/s

*The i9 moniker seems like a last minute change, or is the SKU is misread in the software, hence not part of this specific CPU.

Back
Top Bottom