• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Soldato
What platform comes after x299? I'm wondering if it's true what they said about IPC a while back, there were some articles where Intel stated IPC may even regress a bit? I'd like to see the differences between Skylake-x chips and Coffee lake but i guess it goes without saying not to expect much.

Soldato
I'm really starting to think I'll go with a 10 core Skylake-X chip probably with an Asus motherboard. Hopefully they do a Sabertooth model as that is what I have at the moment and it has been rock solid. I really need to upgrade my i7 3930k 4.4Ghz X79 system and this seems perfect for it.

Associate
What platform comes after x299? I'm wondering if it's true what they said about IPC a while back, there were some articles where Intel stated IPC may even regress a bit? I'd like to see the differences between Skylake-x chips and Coffee lake but i guess it goes without saying not to expect much.

There'll need to be clear differences between CFL-S 6C/12T and Skylake-X 6C/12T for Intel not to shoot themselves in the foot, yet both need to be good. Perhaps the former will come without HT only, or perhaps the differences will only exist in PCI-E lanes and cache. Who knows.

Associate
There'll need to be clear differences between CFL-S 6C/12T and Skylake-X 6C/12T for Intel not to shoot themselves in the foot, yet both need to be good. Perhaps the former will come without HT only, or perhaps the differences will only exist in PCI-E lanes and cache. Who knows.

This is what I'm worried about. I'm likely to update the trusty 2600k with one of these options, or depending on price, may even go Skylake-X 8c and jump the 6c tier altogether.

Associate
This is what I'm worried about. I'm likely to update the trusty 2600k with one of these options, or depending on price, may even go Skylake-X 8c and jump the 6c tier altogether.

8C would be better, assuming you'll keep it for a long time. For now I'd just sit tight until late August, unless SKL-X comes in at decent prices (right lol).

Associate
8C would be better, assuming you'll keep it for a long time. For now I'd just sit tight until late August, unless SKL-X comes in at decent prices (right lol).

Yeah, 6C is a big step up from 4 core but it looks like 6C is going to be short lived as a large upgrade.

Games and programs are finally, and quickly, becoming properly multithreaded, so 8C looks to be the better long-run choice.

I mean we very rapidly jumping to 14-16C being 'normal' for the enthusiast end. Whereas 4 months ago 'enthusiast' was 8C.

Associate
Exactly, and now that we arrived at somewhat near a frequency barrier (or, at least do very well in that department where Intel is concerned), the only way forward is more cores and threads with continuous IPC improvements but at current frequencies.

Soldato
8c CPU's with 28 pci-e lanes and a crippled quad core on the HEDT line... All likely to come in at intel's usual price points.....

oh dear Intel oh dear.....

hope AMD can keep up momentum as I may well be skipping to the red team for my next cpu after haswell-e!

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom