• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Soldato
Wow what a surprise Intel to launch all out attack on AMD Epyc and Threadripper with 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 cores Kaby Lake & Sky Lake X series HEDT CPUs to make sure AMD wont regain CPU marketshare. :eek:

It will be interesting read reviews.

RIP AMD.
Surprisingly this was discussed back in February where reference to upcoming HEDT having more cores was mentioned but it was not clear at the time or it wasn't picked up upon. There was talk of upcoming HEDT having 18 cores but the info remained obscure.

https://www.eteknix.com/intel-introduces-prosumer-xeon-gold-workstation-cpus/

Now if we go back to the latest slide it mentions TDPs of 165W & 140W for these Skylake-X cpus.

Also we have the leaked Skylake-SP Xeon Platinum and Gold list.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-xeon-gold-xeon-platinum-skylake-sp-lineup-leaked.1928015/

Notice that from the list Xeon Gold 6150 is the only 18 core which has TDP of 165W.

This leads me to believe that the Core i9-7980XE is Xeon Gold 6150 repurposed for the X299 platform on MCC die.

If intel is eating into their xeon line to compete with HEDT then they must see thread ripper as a serious threat. The real question is what sort yields will they be getting. They can't fuse cpus together like AMD and being so large they will have trouble producing them.

I wonder if they have a response to EYPC on the server market.

Associate
If intel is eating into their xeon line to compete with HEDT then they must see thread ripper as a serious threat. The real question is what sort yields will they be getting. They can't fuse cpus together like AMD and being so large they will have trouble producing them.

I wonder if they have a response to EYPC on the server market.

I'm sure larger chips aren't exactly easy but the Skylake manufacturing process is pretty mature now which has to help.

Soldato
I know how the different TBM work :)

Also, why would anyone put an unlocked chip in a workstation and don't OC it? Just get a Xeon then - unless you're price conscious, in which case I retract what I said here.

Stability and longevity. The last thing you need is your computer to throw an error due to an overclock halfway through a long render project.

Soldato
I'm sure larger chips aren't exactly easy but the Skylake manufacturing process is pretty mature now which has to help.
"Mature" is a vague term. Judging by my understanding of how contaminates affect wafers. That could simply mean they have more success harvesting the lower core versions.

Soldato

INTEL i9-7920X - 12c/24t @ 2.90GHz (No turbo listed) - 160W.
L2 CACHE -12 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 16.5MB
£1300 + VAT

INTEL i9-7900X - 10c/20t @ 3.30/4.50GHz - 160W
L2 CACHE - 10 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 13.75MB
£855 + VAT

INTEL i9-7820X - 8c/16t @ 3.60/4.20GHz - 140w
L2 CACHE - 8 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 11MB
£515 + VAT

INTEL i9-7800X - 6c/12t @ 3.50/4.00GHz - 140W
L2 CACHE - 6 x 256KB
L3 CACHE - 8.25MB
£345 + VAT

There you go, that's the website to save you all working it out. :)

Also... this ASRock board.. whuuuut.

X299E-ITX/ac is built around an X299 chipset, which unlocks the hidden performance of Intel® LGA 2066 socket CPUs, giving the overall performance a huge boost. Regardless of its tiny size, other points worth mentioning are 4 SO-DIMM memory slots, 10-layer PCB, two Intel® Gigabit LANs, dual band 2.4/5GHz 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2, and onboard amazing six SATA ports. Furthermore, ASRock is incredibly to make triple M.2 sockets onboard for satisfy insanely fast SSDs :D

Last edited:
Soldato
So ~£415 for the 6c/12t with near-identical clock speeds to the R5 1600X (also 6c/12t), which costs £240. I'm sure the i9-7800X will clock a fair bit higher but that's a huge cost difference, especially when you consider the motherboards will be dearer too. It's difficult to compare directly because we don't have an equivalent AMD HEDT part to compare to, and obviously X299 will have higher spec features than AM4. It depends if those features are useful for you or not though. Up until recently if you wanted 6c/12t you had to go HEDT, even if you didn't care about quad-channel memory or running SLI/CrossFire; now with Ryzen and Coffee Lake that's not the case.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
thats the issue intel have at the mo until we get a full picture on performance and also coffee lake details, i can see a few people having a fit at the i9's prices saying that ryzens cheaper with same core count and buying without knowing the full picture.

Soldato
Well that should at least mean the Coffee Lake 6c 12t is priced at roughly the same level as the current 7700K...won't it?

If it is, I'd much rather have one of those with the higher IPC & clock speeds than a Ryzen 1600, despite it being it being quite a bit more expensive.

Soldato
Well that should at least mean the Coffee Lake 6c 12t is priced at roughly the same level as the current 7700K...won't it?

If it is, I'd much rather have one of those with the higher IPC & clock speeds than a Ryzen 1600, despite it being it being quite a bit more expensive.
There's nearly £100 gap between the i7-7700K and that supposed i9-7800X price. The 6c/12t Coffee Lake could be right in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom