Skyrim, Fallout, HL2 - anyone playing these on rift?

Associate
I have a DK2.

i REALLY want to show my housemate HL2, its his favourite game ever - I did get it working two years ago, but couldnt get it working recently :( anyone have a working method?

Skyrim & Fallout 4 in VR would make me so so happy, i've seen there is some VorpX support, how is it?

Soldato
I bought VorpX with the intention of playing some of these games in VR. It was a complete waste of money. You have to spend a lot of time setting up the games to work correctly and even when you do get them setup it never looks or feels quite right.

Tacked on VR is terrible, IMO.

Don
I have a DK2.

i REALLY want to show my housemate HL2, its his favourite game ever - I did get it working two years ago, but couldnt get it working recently :( anyone have a working method?

Skyrim & Fallout 4 in VR would make me so so happy, i've seen there is some VorpX support, how is it?

The only way to get it working is to find somewhere where you can download an Oculus runtime of 0.8 or lower. THis will break the Current Oculus home though.

Soldato
I cant get it working properly, I dont know why. i've tried too many times to make it worth attempting again

Chances are you did get it working correctly. It just never looks right. After paying out for VorpX, I made a determined effort to set it up in Skyrim, as people on the forums raved about how good it looked. I even deleted the game and reinstalled it so it would be back to the original. Followed several guidelines, installed mods to fix the big hands issue etc. And for the first couple of minutes I thought this looks pretty good. There is a good sense of depth and you can look behind you and all that. Once I got over the initial "wow" I began to realise that, it wasn't that good at all. Your arms never felt like part of you. Everything seemed warped, and distances to things were hard to judge. I didn't feel like I was in the world.

And when I went back and tried the game on a normal monitor, it looked much better and was much nicer to play.

Associate
OP
Chances are you did get it working correctly. It just never looks right. After paying out for VorpX, I made a determined effort to set it up in Skyrim, as people on the forums raved about how good it looked. I even deleted the game and reinstalled it so it would be back to the original. Followed several guidelines, installed mods to fix the big hands issue etc. And for the first couple of minutes I thought this looks pretty good. There is a good sense of depth and you can look behind you and all that. Once I got over the initial "wow" I began to realise that, it wasn't that good at all. Your arms never felt like part of you. Everything seemed warped, and distances to things were hard to judge. I didn't feel like I was in the world.

And when I went back and tried the game on a normal monitor, it looked much better and was much nicer to play.

Yeah, unfortunately vorpx is nothing like a good native implementation.

HL2 should still work in vr, does on my Vive, you have to opt into the beta branch AFAIK.

Only try if you have good VR legs.

I have just received a Vive, and I did notice VR enabled, but when I booted it crashed, but its an error I have seen before so I will try again. Thats great if it works.

I have good VR legs - apart from cutscenes, those things are just wrong

Associate
i bought vorpx last week to play Skyrim and Armed Assault 3 on my Rift CV1.

AA3 works well thought finding keys to do things and also view distance for snipers can be a problem.

In terms of Skyrim, I've not been able to get it to work to my likings as yet. it looks pretty, but the filed of view of giving me problems, it feels like i'm playing it wearing binoculars as things are too much in my face. I need to work on it more to try to see if I can get it to my liking.

Back
Top Bottom