• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sli + Supreme commander dual monitor support?

Soldato
My friend just posed a good question to me.

What happens if you have an SLI laptop, what would you do to get dual monitor support (1 of the action and 1 screen with the map up). Because i know that SLI means that only one output will work when SLI is activated. Is this true with laptops?

Soldato
oh he's looking to buy it ? I thought he already somehow had an SLI laptop..............regardless even if he had an SLI laptop, YOU CANNOT run more than 1 screen off ANY SLI setup.................but thinking about it I dont think you can even have an SLI laptop ? you can probably run 2 screens off 1 graphics card though, anyone can do that

EDIT: What i was thinking of is:

2x SLI GPU's = screen 1, PCI or 3rd PCI-E nvidia card = screen 2, obviously you need a proper PC for this, laptops are a no go

Soldato
OP
Combat squirrel said:
EDIT: What i was thinking of is:

2x SLI GPU's = screen 1, PCI or 3rd PCI-E nvidia card = screen 2, obviously you need a proper PC for this, laptops are a no go

yeh i know what you mean, i was thinking along those lines too! shame cause he really doesnt want a desktop!

Soldato
Booner! said:
Right ok, well he has found the one he wants, £2400 :eek: :eek: but still i didnt think you could, back to square one.. lol

You CAN buy SLI laptops ? :eek: no way I bet the battey on them lasts about 4 mins :D , whats the spec of the one for £2400 ? You do also realise if its truly SLI laptop it will be insanely noisy from the cooling system

Soldato
OP
Yeh i know all this, its funny cause some "network guy" who install major internet networks for football stadiums etc thinks that you can split the SLI so that he could have map up and also the game running...of course he knows best...and now my mate believes him..

I would love to let him have a go trying to set it up, keep to his word!

I told him to spend it on a nice desktop with 24inch screens, but he wants a laptop...

>Noisey
>Battery life :eek: :D
>Power per £1 in comparison to a desktop

But hey, you cant help some people :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Booner! said:
Yeh i know all this, its funny cause some "network guy" who install major internet networks for football stadiums etc thinks that you can split the SLI so that he could have map up and also the game running...of course he knows best...and now my mate believes him..

I would love to let him have a go trying to set it up, keep to his word!

I told him to spend it on a nice desktop with 24inch screens, but he wants a laptop...

>Noisey
>Battery life :eek: :D
>Power per £1 in comparison to a desktop

But hey, you cant help some people :rolleyes:

Tell him to read this or print it off and show him:

Hello dude - 1st your mate knows NOTHING, YOU CANNOT use more than 1 screen with SLI enabled, you would need 2x cards in sli and a 3rd seperate one acting on its own, its basic logic, have A GOOD LONG THINK ABOUT IT

2) Get yourself a pc instead of a laptop if you want a gaming machine,it can be made very quiet

3) Gaming laptops sound like a jet engine taking off

4) Im úber at PC's your networking mate knows a lot about networking, nothing about gaming systems, same as i know very little about networking and LOADS about gaming PC's

Now think about all that before throwing away money - Its taken me 3 mins to type this, please dont let my time be wasted, cheers :)

Booner go deliver this message to him ! lol

Soldato
OP
haha nice message, I hate it when you know best and they don't listen...

Here is the spec...

Spec:
Ratings
Performance 5 (good??) - but its not the best (G80)
Portability 1 (Heavy)
Battery 2 (low)
Noise 4 (loud)

AMD Turion X2 TL-60 2.0GHz
2x NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX 512MB sli
1GB DDR2 667MHz
2x 100GB 7200rpm SATA HDDs
Vista Home Premium - SLI enabled from 31 Mar
20" WSXGA+ X-Glass TFT Screen (1680 x 1050)

To be honest, it's not even directx10 enabled, i would just forget it at that price..

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmmmmmm I see something sus there - a 7950 is a 'single' graphics card (7950 gtx was the dual gpu yes?) with 2 GPU's, so technically its SLI while at the same time its not if that makes any sort of remote sense. If it was really a 2x 7950 that would be quad SLI which it isnt. Rest of spec is rubbish, for £2400 you can get an AMAZING dual G80 pc setup which would knock that pc into the middle of last year

Soldato
OP
hmm i think that is the 7950gtx so in theory that is the equililant to the dual card, 4 GPU and 4 video outputs desktop model?

Associate
Thats not a laptop thats a luggable! You point out to him that taking it anywhere would be near impossible, the battery life is too short to be useful and that for the same price you could build him a shuttle system with SLI 8800's. It may be that he wants a small system so give him this option.

Soldato
Combat squirrel said:
Hmmmmmmm I see something sus there - a 7950 is a 'single' graphics card (7950 gtx was the dual gpu yes?) with 2 GPU's, so technically its SLI while at the same time its not if that makes any sort of remote sense. If it was really a 2x 7950 that would be quad SLI which it isnt.
Thats the 7950GX2 your thinking of. This will be 2 7950gts.

Soldato
where the hell does one put a 7950GX2 (there was only a GT and GX2, no GTX as far as im aware) inside a laptop, i mean theres no space, i mean the cards BIGGER than a laptop, unless its timelord laptop?! :eek:

Soldato
OP
lubrication aside,

I think I persuaded him....No Directx10 support... no pretty graphics in a years time made him nearly cry lol

Back
Top Bottom