slim & light laptop for making music & moderately light gaming

Associate
I'm in the market for a new laptop.

Aside from "normal" laptop stuff I'll be using it for moderately light gaming (e.g. Dota2 @ 60FPS) and also running Ableton with various VST synths etc. Occasionally I'll do a wee bit of Photoshop / Zbrush also.

Things I need:
  • A decent bit of horsepower so that I can comfortably run complex Ableton setups with a good bit of headroom.
  • A decent selection of USB ports - some of the audio gear I have doesn't play nicely with hubs & dongles etc. Doesn't actually need to be anything fancy in most cases (e.g. thunderbolt isn't a must) but I do need access to 2/3 while charging.

Things I'd like:
  • Modest discrete graphics card is a big plus - I have a good PC for gaming but I do find myself away from it multiple times a year with time to kill and being able to play a "real" game would be nice. Iris Plus looked promising but my impression of benchmarks I've seen thus far isn't encouraging so I'm wondering about something like a GTX 1650 or an MX250 even.
  • Slim & light form-factor. Anywhere between 13-15" I'd consider & I'm happy to go chunkier especially if that improves cooling.
  • I don't actually "need" it but I'm a sucker for a bright, high quality display with accurate colours. The thing I've disliked about previous laptops has often been dim, muddy displays. I don't think I need 4k on a laptop so 1440 or 1080 are absolutely fine. My eye-sight isn't great and DPI scaling is quite a silver bullet so running at very high resolutions on a small display is probably a non-starter.
  • That said being able to drive a single 4k display at 60FPS via HDMI/DP is a small plus.
Spec wise I'm thinking i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SDD (I could go to 256 if the device has a slot for a memory card) - 512 would be more comfortable though.

Budget £1000-£2000.

Otherwise I'm not too fussy!

I started out looking at Surface Pro's (I was initially keen on getting a 2-in-1 with a good stylus) and eventually talked myself out of that.
  • I've had bad experiences with dealing directly with MS as a vendor in the past.
  • Number of available ports isn't great
  • As I said before I wasn't very impressed with Iris Plus graphics
I next looked at the new 13" XPS - but again talked myself out of it. In the end I decided that the value proposition with these relatively premium devices just didn't feel that good (I think the XPS I was looking at charged off USB so that was one less port to play with, and there weren't a million to begin with!). The price point was a bit high given that the devices might not tick all of my boxes. Additionally I lost interest in the 2-in-1 feature and decided just to buy an Intuos so I could do stylus work.

That gave me a lot of other options to look at more sensible price points. To begin with I was only looking at Ice Lake & Comet Lake devices but aside from maybe the MSI Prestige (which doesn't seem to actually be available yet in the UK - arg!) the selection still seemed a bit limited so now I'm starting to think that very likely once you account for thermal throttling and all that the performance difference between a 9th or 8th gen i7 in a sensibly sized slim laptop is probably very similar to a 10th Gen i7 in one of the premium ultra compact models. Is that right?

If so that opens up even more options. Actually its a bewildering number of options - which is why I thought to come here and ask for advice!

Soldato
The 10th gen Intel, Razer blade stealth or MSI prestige?

If you don't mind something a bit bigger and lightweight but more powerful and with an OLED screen then you could get a 1660ti gigabyte aero 15 oled or 2060 dell alienware m15 r2 with oled that you can configure and buy for £2k.

Caporegime
Associate
OP
The 10th gen Intel, Razer blade stealth or MSI prestige?

If you don't mind something a bit bigger and lightweight but more powerful and with an OLED screen then you could get a 1660ti gigabyte aero 15 oled or 2060 dell alienware m15 r2 with oled that you can configure and buy for £2k.

THanks for that - I'm tempted by the Razer Blade Stealth & the Prestige 14. Sadly both seem a wee bit hard to source right now so I might hold off for a week or two. I'd also love to see a few more reviews of the retail version of the Prestige to see if the screen is brighter than some of the previous gen.

I would love an OLED laptop - though if I'm honest I don't really *need* an OLED laptop.

Associate
OP
That 10th gen cpu is 35% faster than my 6700HQ, with a third of the TDP, impressive!

I would say, if you are going to be Abletoning a lot, 4k is a must.

Working in FL Studio on my 1080p screen is painful!

Re. 4k - I know what you mean. Sadly my eyesight is pretty rubbish so I tend to end cranking up the DPI scaling on high res displays. It can get quite cramped in Ableton - but at least I can read the text and to be honest I'm used to it!

Back
Top Bottom