1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow download speeds with upgraded 8meg...

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by OzZie, 28 May 2006.

1. OzZie

Mobster

Last friday i recieved my 2mb > 8mb upgrade with AOL platinum. Connected once at 4.8Mbps and then again at 6.8Mbps. However, even downloading from fast UK servers such as Zen my average download speed is only topping 400kbs max. Most of the time it is about 350kbs which is only a 100kbs more than my previous 2Mb.

Every time i connect it is at a different rate. The fastest i've seen at the moment is 7.1Mbps but still the download speeds have never gone anywhere near 7meg speeds (i imagine i should be getting 750kb from most decent servers?)

Is this normal to connect at varied speeds, or are they just working out what the best speed is for my home?

The AOL representatives are absolutely pants and can't tell me anything, so i thought i'd try here :)

2. wesley

Sgarrista

router stats?

3. OzZie

Mobster

Sorry, forgot to mention, im using a standard BT voyager ADSL modem via USB. I have two routers that i can try if required. (one generic and a netgear dg632) :)

Is it possible that the modem can't handle the speed upgrade? I know routers go up to ADSL2+ or something :confused:

Last edited: 28 May 2006
  4. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Though it took about 10 days or so of varying speeds until it settled down to a speed that you can handle. :)

5. OllyM

Soldato

USB modems will top out at far below 8mbit, the USB bus can't really handle (that much) more.

Use a router with an Ethernet connection instead, for a start.

6. tolien

Caporegime

The BRAS limit is supposed to move to match a stable (average) sync rate within 3 days.

As Olly says, get rid of the USB modem for starters.

7. OzZie

Mobster

Using the Netgear Router now. Download speeds are somewhat slower than USB (always have been though) :(

8. OllyM

Soldato

Download speeds through what?

9. OzZie

Mobster

Through the Netgear router as opposed to the standard BT modem.

10. OllyM

Soldato

I mean through which protocol?

i.e. is a HTTP download from, say http://mirror.for.me.uk slower via the USB modem than it is through the router?

Or are you talking about bittorrent/P2P?

11. OzZie

Mobster

Oh sorry ;)

HTTP downloads are slower via the router. Havent tried any P2P software etc. :)