Slow transfer speeds.

Soldato
Hey guys,

I've got a hp pavillion zv6000 (the one without the built in wireless) and i'm having issues with transfer speeds. Web pages are a little slow but not anything terrible for a laptop of this age, however file transfers and moving files between the network seem to be capped at around 20-40kb/s. Other computers all work fine together and so does the other laptop so i'm inclined to think its nothing on that end.

Regarding this laptop i've tried a netgear wg511 wireless adapter and a belkin f7d1101 usb wireless adapter, and i've tried both adapters on XP ad windows 7. I seem to have the same issue no matter what i've tried so far and windows 7 currently has all available updates installed so nice and up to date.

Just wondering if anyones got any ideas that i can try. Given all the variables so far i'm starting to think it might be a driver for the laptop that is missing but the HP site is pretty useless.

Cheers in advance,
Kris

Soldato
OP
Okay, so i removed the netgear card and used the belkin one as it allowed for WPA. This saw a slight increase in speed so figuring the security is probably holding it back i hid the SSID for the access point and removed the security and managed a sustained 11mb/s over the network. internet download speeds are also up, but not great. Is theee anything else i can do or that i can change to allow these speeds with wireless security sti enabled?

Associate
Just a crazy thought, download inSSIDer and see what the network signal strength is where you're using it.
Encryption does kill speed hard, but it's dependent on the hardware and drivers. You should see a difference between different cards if it was the problem. The fact it still only does 11mbit unencrypted and the issue persists across multiple cards it could be the obvious was overlooked, and the signal strength/stability is just balls.

Back
Top Bottom