Small Midi Case Custom NH-D14 Install (3770k Delid)

Associate
Hi all! This is a little something I thought I would share with you all!

My current spec is in my sig. I use my rig for a general media centre in my lounge as well as my gaming rig. It's setup under my TV in a unit so space is a bit tight, hence why I have a small Corsair 100R midi case. The case itself has a few custom touches, which include a vent drilled front panel, the lower drive bays removed and the SSD mounted horizontal on the back panel.

My quest for lower temps and a good performing rig in a smaller style case have been at the forefront lately with Corsair saying the max cooler height for my case only being 150mm. Anyways my quest for lower temps started when I bought a Coolermaster 212x cooler and carried out a delid on my 3770k. Temps did get better but I still wasn’t pleased. The 212x just fitted, even though it is 158mm high. I was happy with the setup, but I wanted more.

I recently see that many 3770k heat spreaders are concave, so as I was using T'Grizzly Kryonaut they recommend to spread their paste instead of the pea approach. This turned out to be causing me issues with the center of the heat spreader not getting enough paste. Long story short, after much measuring and playing around I ordered myself a Noctua NH-D14 (the D15 won’t fit, it’s slightly bigger) and set out changing my thermal paste install method. I also setup a custom dual exhaust van as I couldn't get the 120mm fan on the front of the cooler due to RAM being in the way.

The end result is a NH-D14 in a small midi Corsair 100R, using T'Grizzly Kryonaut (Amazing product btw) and installed via the pea sized dob of past in the middle of the CPU and not spread. I also reapplied the paste on my delid with a vertical line down the core, not spread.

Here are some pictures of the test fit and final fit on a mild OC I am currently running after an hour of P95. At the end you can see the temp change with a NH-D14 spread vs pea method on a 3770k. My ambient temps in the room right now are 30 degrees. Now I am happy with temps I will get my OC back to 4.6Ghz @ 1.260v. Maybe even push for more.

I guess the end product of this thread is, 1) the pea method is the best method, do not spread your paste. 2) don’t rely on manufactures specs and measure yourself. Enjoy.

I you want you can follow my delid thread over here. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/now-delidded-3770k-overclocking-help-please.18775993/

This method was the spreading method.

This method was the pea method. A 10 degree drop, proves the heatspreader is indeed concave.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom