1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small portable printer for use in a van.

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Eddie, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Eddie

Mobster

My brother is after a little printer to use in his van (via a laptop) when he's on site.

Portable printing is not something I know about so I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Is it just a case of getting a little 12v inverter thing and buying a suitable printer or is there any specific devices that are designed for this type of thing?

If it is just a normal printer I need, can anyone recommend a nice little compact printer, either laser or inkjet, black or colour?

Thanks a lot.

2. AntiHeroUK

Hitman

Is this to print invoices for customers? There are specific printers designed for this usage, but they cost a lot in comparison to standard inkjet/laser printers.

They are more compact, run off a lithium battery and print use thermal technology. The Brother PocketJet PJ-622 is one such printer, but it's far from cheap.

3. Eddie

Mobster

Yeah it's for printing various customer related stuff - invoices, quotes, etc.

That printer you mention is definitly too expensive so, if that's the sort of price he's looking at, it'll definitely be the little inverter route he takes.

Can you (or anybody) recommend a good inverter and nice compact printer for such a job?

4. R.C.Anderson

Wise Guy

I would just say pretty much any injet & inverter. Problem if you try to go with a laser, is that they can draw quite a bit of power on startup so if you get a cheap inverter, it might not be able to manage it (if the 12V socket on the van can in the first place)

5. areksnumbr1sxylady

PermaBanned

Could use portable battery as well...

6. Gav_881

Wise Guy

HP Officejet 100 is the ones we use at work, there around the £200 mark and have a battery and bluetooth.

Quality is OK not up to full laser office standard but there currently the best mobile printer going to my knowledge. We have tried a number over the years.

7. Eddie

Mobster

Thanks for the replies everyone, should give me enough to go on for the time being.

I like the look of the HP Officejet 100 so I'll investigate that a bit further.