Smart Car - FourTwo Opinion

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Smart FourTwo, as I'm considering getting one as my next car for reduced, price, road tax, petrol and insurance.

RTJ

Soldato
My folks have the soft top version.

To be honest it drives fine, handles fine and is cheap on fuel.

It's not great car but they love it. I wouldn't be put off if i only needed a small car.

Soldato
The robotised manual gearboxes are pretty nasty, very slow gear changes which can be a bit frustrating. The older 600cc engines are a bit fragile, plenty expire before ~50k. They tend to suffer quite a lot of problems with the main control module (known as the "SAM" unit) which can be quite expensive.

As a pure city car they do make some sense. If you are commuting any significant distance, or need to carry anything large then they are less great.

Associate
People always say that there is an engine rebuild waiting to happen after 80k miles.

I had a Roadster for a few years and driven a few for2 (old style ones not the new 1litre cars) during that time.

As a fun car they tend to be missing something. But you can drive them at motorway speed all day and they don't blink an eye, cheap to run (but frequent servicing) was a reality with me.

The gearbox is a little poo, but you soon learn to drive it accordingly. I would buy one if I did not need 3 seats, you can fit a fair amount in them.

But you are likely to get odd comments and looks dependant where you go. London not so bad, Rural Gloucestershire - its like driving a pink handbag.

Associate
My next door neighbour had one (smart for four) for a couple of years, it was in the garage being fixed more than it was in his garage, most of the problems seem to have centred round the computer saying that it was broken, rather than the fact that it was broken.

He got so peed off with calling out mechanics to look at it that he bought a Vauxhall of some sort, he's never had a problem with that, had it for 3 years.

edit. his wife is on her second Smart for two, she loves it!

Last edited:
Soldato
What driving do you do mostly? I take it from your post that you will be buying a new one?

Personally I think they a unreliable little shoeboxes that I wouldn't be seen dead in. Unless you never leave london, an aygo is a better bet I'd say.

Associate
There many other super minis on the market

I bought a second hand Toyota IQ over a year ago and it has been great.
I am over 6ft and it is perfect.

no road tax and I saved about 350 on insurance and do mainly town driving and I have halfed my fuel costs.

Back
Top Bottom