Smart Meter - worth changing to?

Soldato
If people just want the fancy display, you can get those yourself without having to change the meter, for electric anyway.

Caporegime
Don't bother until the new universal ones hit the market. Atm they are locked to a specific supplier.

British Gas phoned us last week to offer us a BG-locked smart meter. We said thanks but no thanks. Looks like there's a big push to get rid of old stock or something atm.

Soldato
The is nothing smart about them.

Oh hay love turn the kettle off as we are using x amount of KW. Stupid idea for stupid people.

You use what you need end of, use anymore then so what if you pay your bill.

Soldato
I've declined to have one thus far, one of my mates (the only one I have who's got one) ended up with it going faulty almost as soon as it was installed, ended up with a £300 bill for a month!

Soldato
I haven't had to give meter readings for well over 2 years. Don't see the negative. Otherwise it is exactly like a normal meter, so see no harm.

One big advantage is that it doesn't just tell you your daily / weekly / monthly usage, but it also provides real-time usage in watts. So if you turn appliances on / off, the watt figure changes and then you can work out their differentials. I have cut my electricity usage by approx. 15% since having the smart meters installed in February. Next up is to analyse my gas usage, as I might be able to cut back on hot water timings to an amount where I still get enough hot water but cut back on the gas.

Soldato
There are obvious benefits to having real time usage montoring and breakdown. Having said that, I’ve not bothered. SSE must have sent reminders through the post about 5 times, they are pushing them very heavily. My guess is that it will save them money on people going round in vans readings meters, and allow them to cost cut. No other reason why they’d push them so heavily.

Soldato
Don't do it, they're still not standardised and so as soon as you switch supplier it'll stop working anyway.

This. And not to mention the fact that when my parents were offered one by their energy company they refused to install it unless they could rip out the fitted cupboard where the current meter is located.

Soldato
Had one fitted for about 3 years (?) now and had no bother with it. It's dual fuel so handy for keeping an eye on gas use in the winter.

Took about 20 mins to install so swapping provider really shouldn't be any hassle.

Caporegime
It's pretty deceptive how they're pushing for people to upgrade, the letter they send out makes it sounds like you have no choice in the matter and the only option you have is the day of installation which needs to be confirmed, but actually ringing them to confirm the appointment is basically agreeing to have one installed as they're not mandatory and you can't be forced (yet). So you think you're just confirming an appointment that you have no choice in but really what you are doing is consenting to have one installed.

Last edited:
Associate
My neighbour had one installed, the digital meter display which sits on the kitchen worktop; well, what a let down.

Based on the advertising, I was expecting a swanky all singing dashboard, it is literally a cheapo LCD from the eighties.

It just creates paranoia (ignorance is bliss). I like my tea and watching the thing go into melt down every time I boil a kettle... bah.

Back
Top Bottom