Smart Thermostats - Nest the best?

Soldato
Thinking about getting on board the smart heating train... is Nest the best choice nowadays?

I've heard that the top 3 are usually Nest / Tado / Hive.

Does Nest work with geolocation or is it purely on the motion sensor? Can it utilise hue motion sensors to increase it's accuracy, as I don't want it turning off if i'm sitting in the lounge etc for a long period of time.

Would be nice to have homekit compatibility but not a deal breaker as have Alexa also.

Also, is it best to buy them separately, as I need 2 (for zoning) and Amazon currently have them for £150 each

Thanks!

Soldato
nest is good but a real struggle to get it to turn off when you are away from home or turn on when you get back in. nuisance

Associate
I had a v2 Nest thermostat, and recently bought a v3 version when we moved, I have recently been having thoughts about the Evohome as the lack of zoning is becoming an issue.

Associate
I installed a hive recently. I didn't require the "smart learning" functionality, as I prefer to set my own schedule. It worked perfectly fine and was much better value than the nest.

However, I was extremely disappointed to find the display on it switches off after 5 seconds. All the marketing and literature shows the display illuminated, and it looks very nice. But you can't actually see it unless you press a button, which is incredibly annoying. I like to look at the temperature, and whether the heating is on, when I walk past the thermostat. They have no plans to change it either, citing battery life as the issue.

I've now gone over to a nest 3rd gen instead, which is hardwired for power, and has a sensor which switches it on when you are near it.

Also keep in mind that in a dual zone setup, the nest cannot be used with opentherm (if your boiler supports that).

Soldato
I like my Nest; I'd pick it over all the other smart thermostats but as I only have 1 zone in my house, the lack of compatible smart TRV's is grating on me now.

Soldato
I'm also tempted to pick one of these up to help save on heating. Anyone know if its compatible with my Worcester Greenstar I boiler? Am I right in thinking it just gets installed where my old thermostat is and that's it? Don't need Alexa or anything else?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yes.

Yes, it replaces the old stat, you need to have the heat link installed next to the boiler.

No Alexa/Google isn't needed but will work should you want it.

Soldato
Yes.

Yes, it replaces the old stat, you need to have the heat link installed next to the boiler.

No Alexa/Google isn't needed but will work
should you want it.

Thanks, is the heatlink a separate purchase? Installation expensive or easy to do myself?

Soldato
Nest v2 here as it was free with our recently purchased boiler. Am a bit skeptical as to whether smart TRV's would actually make much difference since the heating system is firing up each time a thermostat triggers it so I'd be surprised if it were worth while unless it was a forever house to justify the cost of 13 smart TRV's in our case.

Back
Top Bottom