Smart trainers for night out?

Soldato
I'm out in Leeds this weekend for a concert then probably a few bars afterwards. Just a quick question as I haven't been out in a city for years, would I be ok in smart leather trainers for getting into places?
Cheers.

Soldato
Used to be the case that all late night clubs and bars required shoes and at the least black jeans and a collar to get in. Standards have slipped massively.
It's a whole different world now, people would rather stay in and drink beers than go out, part because of rising costs obviously, and also, smoking isn't a social activity anymore. The whole industry has taken a huge fall since the smoking ban came into force. Bars & clubs have to do what they can to attract business nowadays and if that means dropping standards then so be it!

Soldato
It's a whole different world now, people would rather stay in and drink beers than go out, part because of rising costs obviously, and also, smoking isn't a social activity anymore. The whole industry has taken a huge fall since the smoking ban came into force. Bars & clubs have to do what they can to attract business nowadays and if that means dropping standards then so be it!
Same here the smoking ban completed killed the night-life and many pubs & clubs have had to close down :mad:

Soldato
Same here the smoking ban completed killed the night-life and many pubs & clubs have had to close down :mad:

Im not sure if the smoking ban is the biggest factor imo.

I think a “night out” now costing in the region of £50 at a very very conservative minimum (more than likely £75-£100), younger people earning considerably less than previous generations would have done at a similar age and then the fact that everything else is more expensive has moved nights out down the priority list for my generation.

That and you can’t have six pints and drive home from the local and just get a slap on the wrists from your friendly local cooper maybe?

Man of Honour
Dress code being enforced is a rarity except some top London clubs, etc. these days - I remember when several nights a week you'd not get into any of the larger clubs if not in shirt and shoes.

Soldato
I remember taking a return taxi for 4 miles each way just because I'd got trainers (smart ones) on and a club wouldn't let me in, in Belfast. This was over a decade ago. More recently I've been to clubs/pubs in work trousers and boots and a polo shirt with a normal coat on top. Admittedly not out on the pull anymore but standards have definitely slipped.

Permabanned
Im not sure if the smoking ban is the biggest factor imo.

I think a “night out” now costing in the region of £50 at a very very conservative minimum (more than likely £75-£100), younger people earning considerably less than previous generations would have done at a similar age and then the fact that everything else is more expensive has moved nights out down the priority list for my generation.

That and you can’t have six pints and drive home from the local and just get a slap on the wrists from your friendly local cooper maybe?

I was spending that on a Sat night pubs then a disco (£50-80ish) in the early to mid 90's and back then that was more than now.

Soldato
You'll probably be ok unless a bouncer decides they don't like the look of you, then he has an excuse, why would you want to wear trainers though?

Soldato
Used to be the case that all late night clubs and bars required shoes and at the least black jeans and a collar to get in. Standards have slipped massively.

Standards have slipped?

I remember when you used to have to have black shoes, no jeans, and a shirt to get in anywhere, and those 'clubs' and bars were all full of cretinous neanderthals that were only out to get absolutely smashed and start fighting each other.

Give me a proper club full of people wearing casual clothes out to have a good time any day of the week

Back
Top Bottom