Smartparts SP-1 Dye DAM Magazine fed paintball marker mod

Soldato
Not sure how many people are into paintball, but I thought I'd share what I've been -SLOWLY- tinkering with for a few years. I've been making my own magazine fed paintball marker out of a Smartparts SP-1.

The objective was to keep it electronic, so it could be used with an RF operated box mag if I wanted to, and to reuse as much from the original marker that I could to keep costs down. It didn't take long for costs to escalate though hehe.

This is still work in progress, and I only just started working on it again after a year break.

Here is a link to my thread on MCB: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...dye-dam-magazine-fed-marker-modification.html

Soldato
OP
Thought I would update this thread. It had it's first proper outting at an event 180 miles from me, and it performed outstandingly. Very very impressed out well it worked. Not one break all day, worked flawlessly.

Caporegime
Thought I would update this thread. It had it's first proper outting at an event 180 miles from me, and it performed outstandingly. Very very impressed out well it worked. Not one break all day, worked flawlessly.

i like how it says "cougar" on your pouch there :p

Soldato
OP
lol. After that event I moved the patch as the zipper cord was covering the 'S'.

Another pic from the event.

I also now have an action camera, and have made my own mount for it.

Soldato
Still have parts of my old warpfeed system somewhere.

What do you think of the sp1? My team used the old sp8 then the sponsorship was renewed so we got sp1's

Soldato
OP
SP-1 is a basic reliable spool marker that will take a ton of abuse. All you need is a decent barrel for it. I wouldn't use it for speedball though, too heavy. It is MUCH more efficient than anything Tippmann brought to the market, and if you add something like a 'firebolt' (lighter bolt), the kick is almost unnoticeable. It is pretty gentle on paint as it has a 'slow start' bolt that won't crush the balls if not fully in the breach.

Replacement parts are cheap as well.

Obviously in my config, I'm using spring magfed, and it will also shoot shaped projectiles -First Strike Rounds (and 'Macy Works Shaped Projectiles' if they ever come out).

Bottomline, an SP-1 is a good gun for woodsball, but it is getting old in the tooth now.

I've started playing mag fed only games here in the states, and potentially joining a team (whatever that actually means on the scene). It is a shed load of fun, although I did almost burn down a wood a few weeks ago during a 100 player game, thanks to a flaming smoke grenade.

Soldato
You'll find a lot of woods ball and red ball players are moving towards tournament markers more so here in the uk. After smart parts went under we got a sponsor from tippman for the crossovers. Good markers but now we feel that most of the squad want their own styles and setups so have decided to just buy our own gear.

Soldato
Tourney markers are where it's at. You couldn't beat the reliability of an ego back in the day. Then they made them "better" and they were just noisy. Last time I played was not long after the geo 2 came out and I couldn't believe how light they were compared to the old gats.

Oh, tell me did.40 cal ever take off or did everyone eventually realise how stupid it was?

Soldato
OP
Lol. .43 sucked and still sucks. .50 cal is better but they market it fir kids. In my mind, it is ideal for a backup pistol, but i seem to be the only one.

Geos are awesome. They have the geo 3.5, and stuff like the epic LV1 and I think the newer CS1 (might have that name wrong though).

I realized i shouldn't kock space guns (speedball) wheb i discovered how light and ergonomic they were. Now i can't stand blowbacks, except the do make you smile when playing limited paint as the kick is nice.

Soldato
OP
It is electronic. The trigger sets of a micro switch. There is no delay. I have even added in an RF board so that it can operate the small 140 round Box magazine I also made, on every trigger pull. It is MUCH lighter than a mech trigger, and you can fire faster, but that really isn't the goal. I ideally want to make the trigger pull heavier.

It is very quiet, and pretty accurate. I now have a 'freak' barrel back and a load of inserts to match the size of the paint on any given day. That should make it quieter (needs less air as better fit), more efficient and more consistent/accurate.

The whole thing is designed to be usable. Most paintball 'milsim' markers have a buttstock located for a cheek weld. You just can't do that with a paintball mask on, so I made a rough stock drop so you can line up the sights just fine even with a mask on. BTW.. the air regulator is now in the stock itself, and I use a remote line to a small air tank.

I will at some point do a small shooting video.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice. Always fancied mag fed but its not played at any of my locals.

Ill happy with my empire mini gs, very small and light for woodsball.

Really need to get back out paintballing, fishing has taken over for the moment!

Soldato
Remote line ftw if you are into your woodsball. I remember every time I went to the big game I'd have sore arms from holding my marker all day. Still, much preferred tournaments to anything else. Been a long time since I played though.

Soldato
My youngest wants an FS-T15, previously known as a Tiberius T15, when the new model becomes available, are full auto paintball markers legal in the UK?

Soldato
OP
No. Full Auto is NOT legal in the UK (Unless something changed since I left).

The new model is called: T15 SF (As in Special Forces). Be aware that on the original model (just the 'T15') there are still some issues with the valve pin. I also want a T15, but I'm holding off till they fix the issues. The only difference that I am aware of between the original and the upcoming SF model is the full auto module. It hasn't been confirmed if any actual improvement/fixes are in the new one yet.

Looks nice. Always fancied mag fed but its not played at any of my locals.

Ill happy with my empire mini gs, very small and light for woodsball.

Really need to get back out paintballing, fishing has taken over for the moment!

The Mini GS is an awesome little machine. Well worth the money and good value. I do like the grey and orange colour scheme they do for it.

Guaranteed to give lots of action. :D

OP: Nice work!

lol! Seems I get a lot of male attention when people realize it's an extreme modified SP-1. It certainly got me noticed. Thing with paintball... they only real chicks playing are the boyfriends of other players lol. I am fast approaching 40, so maybe Cougar is more apt! lol.

Remote line ftw if you are into your woodsball. I remember every time I went to the big game I'd have sore arms from holding my marker all day. Still, much preferred tournaments to anything else. Been a long time since I played though.

I'll fully admit that a modern speedball gun with a carbon tank is light as hell compared to most woodsball/milsim guns. When I did my 3 day paintball event in Birmingham before I left the UK, I used an Ego 10, and that's when I realized the benefit of a light gun. I have never done speedball though, as I am not a fan of accuracy by volume, or 'laning' (just firing where you think the playing will be trying to move to)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Scougar, yeah I thought full auto was banned, iirc there's another popular mechanical fa so I guess UK versions will have a different trigger to negate the fa, bah I hate the UK sensiblism that causes fa paintball markers to be banned, I wish we could ban control freaks.

I'll look out for more info re the innards of the first strike.

Back
Top Bottom