Snow Sports 2016/17

Associate
What's everyone's plans for the upcoming season?

Also looking for suggestions for March 2017, thought about Val Thorens. Group of 8 of us, mixed abilities skiers and boarders. So far I've done Tignes twice and St Anton last year. Loved both.

Soldato
Just starting to poke people about organising something. Was planning to go back to Niseko but doesn't look like funds will allow.

Might do another Serbia special to Kopaonik, cheap as chips, great people :)

Soldato
I absolutely love the 3 Valleys. The ski area is tremendous and the villages are all pretty well set out. The only problem is actually getting there as the transfers are a couple of hours from either Lyon or Chambery.

Meribel is my favourite of all 3 simply because it's in the middle so great access to everything and the Apres ski is the best. Although Val Thorens is a very close second!

http://alpineethos.co.uk/meribel_chalets.html

Can't recommend this company highly enough. We've stayed in some absolute horror shows in the French Alps over the years, but these guys were awesome. Really couldn't do enough to help us.

Associate
OP
I absolutely love the 3 Valleys. The ski area is tremendous and the villages are all pretty well set out. The only problem is actually getting there as the transfers are a couple of hours from either Lyon or Chambery.

Meribel is my favourite of all 3 simply because it's in the middle so great access to everything and the Apres ski is the best. Although Val Thorens is a very close second!

Can't recommend this company highly enough. We've stayed in some absolute horror shows in the French Alps over the years, but these guys were awesome. Really couldn't do enough to help us.

Cheers for the info. Do you normally book everything seperately and organise transfers yourself? I'm really struggling to find direct flights from Glasgow / Edinburgh. Plenty of flights available when I look at package deals though.

Soldato
Don't forget Chamonix - Brevant/ les Houches/ Argentiere (take telepherique to the top)
plus Valley Blanche - wonderful ambiance.

A real town with many more facilities / restaurants / hotels, plus the gear shops

My description does it a disservice - but should not be left off the list !

Caporegime
I've booked hotels for 12 days at Jackson hole over chistmas week. Hope to make another 2-3 long weekends out to Utah. Wife is talking about another week for spring break so perhaps Whitefish Montana. I really want another spring tourign session so hope to get to washington cascades in May.

Soldato
Cheers for the info. Do you normally book everything seperately and organise transfers yourself? I'm really struggling to find direct flights from Glasgow / Edinburgh. Plenty of flights available when I look at package deals though.

It really depends on which company you use. I have been booking our own flights and sharing transfers as it's much more convenient for us to fly from Brum than London. Transfers are dead easy to organise, basically look on the internet and pick the cheapest. There are loads of companies to choose from. Shared transfers are cheapest obviously, but a dedicated one is best for a larger group.

Associate

Thanks for the info and link. They don't appear to be too badly priced, especially the 2 person chalet.

Doing an entire ski season this year! Leave on November 24th where my training begins. Will be out until April the earliest in Canada. Cannot wait!

You lucky, lucky..... Enjoy!!

I've just started thinking and browsing for ideas and prices at the moment. For the last 5 years I've been going in a group but unfortunatley this won't be happening this coming season, so it looks like I'm gonig to try and put something reasonable together and go it alone.

Obviously going it along can end up rather pricey because of the single supplement. I'll have a dig around on Snowheads to see if there are any groups I can tag onto.

Does anyone know if Ski Club organise group trips?

Last edited:
Associate
Not at all jealous... nope...

Where are you heading to?

I am training in Panorama which is West of Calgary and then I will spend the rest of my time teaching in a tiny little resort called Hidden Valley. This is run by the government of Alberta which pays really well for ski instructors.

You lucky, lucky..... Enjoy!!

Cheers Izzop

Soldato
Also planning a trip this season,

Thinking of returning to Val Thorens or Breuil-Cervinia (Italy, linked with Zermatt)

Now the choice is, do last minute for cheap chalet deals or book early :)

Associate
Val Claret at Tignes. Its not just for the fantastic snow and conditions it offers for a great price but you cant beat la folie douce nearby for the apres ski part of it :D

Associate
Hi All. Got a question on Ski/Board travel bags.

I was looking at the SnoKart6 and wondered if anyone had it. Also what does everyone else use when travelling for Skiing. Ultimately I want to carry all my gear within 2 bags maximum as I am doing a ski season and will be travelling around.

Cheers

Soldato
Going on my first ski holiday in February to Trisil in Norway, with the family (wife has skied before) and some friends' families.

I'd never skied before, so had 3x three hour lessons at the Snowdome in Tamworth last month. Was a bit easier than I expected (tried snowboarding on a dry slope about 10 years ago, and that seemed much slower progress to learn).

Apparently the resort is particularly good for families and new/intermediate skiers. Quite looking forward to it :)

Back
Top Bottom