Snow Sports Thread 2017-18

Don
Ah well, last season is a distant memory. What is everyone thinking of for next winter?

Just bought my Epic Pass so will be heading to Colorado at some point and still dreaming of Japan, maybe next year!

Associate
Dreaming of Japan here as well, might be a few years away but has to be done at some point!

Have got Soldeu booked for January, pretty much booked it as soon as I got back from Les Gets. Hoping for Canada next year or following year too. Can't wait to get back on the slopes.

Associate
Flights already booked for a week away at the end of January. A group of 7 are off to Courchevel, staying in La Tania and even though it's still supposed to be summer I'm already very much looking forward to it.

Currently also looking into an All-Terrain course with Snoworks in Tignes for March which very much takes my fancy and seeing as I didn't get a chance to ski the season just gone i'm 90% I'll book one. Anyone here been with Snoworks for any of their courses?

Regarding the dreaming, that would be a trip to Canada, Banff and whilst there a Heli Ski trip. A good friend who I'm skiing with in January will be 50 in a couple of years, so that would be an ideal time to do it.

Would like to try and fit a few trips to Hemel Hempstead in before the end of the year as well.

Soldato
Going back to Trysil, Norway again. Last year was my first Ski Holiday, and the resort was brilliant for me as a novice, and the kids (then 7 and 3). Going with a couple of other families with young kids.

We looked around continental europe, but in most cases the flights were so much more expensive than Norway (which was only £400 return for the 4 of us).

Associate
Going back to Trysil, Norway again. Last year was my first Ski Holiday, and the resort was brilliant for me as a novice, and the kids (then 7 and 3). Going with a couple of other families with young kids.

We looked around continental europe, but in most cases the flights were so much more expensive than Norway (which was only £400 return for the 4 of us).

Very reasonable on the flight front, although I'm a little surprised you weren't able to match or better that with EasyJet?

Out of interest...

What time of year did you go?
Where did you stay
Did you book it through a tour operator?

Soldato
Very reasonable on the flight front, although I'm a little surprised you weren't able to match or better that with EasyJet?

Out of interest...

What time of year did you go?
Where did you stay
Did you book it through a tour operator?
We're going february half term next year, booked the flights about 6 weeks ago. Accommodation was comparable pricing on the continent, but flights were looking like £800+ for the four of us for most of the destinations we checked.

We weighed up driving, but it would have been a bit of a drag with two young kids.

Caporegime
Plan is moving to Switzerland so I can ski every weekend (and some after work night skiing). One-way ticket booked mid-December. None of this getting in a pane to ski for 1 week at a time, nope, i'll hop in car and drive for an hour.

While we wait for our furniture to ship over form the US we have booked a week in a Chalet at Nendaz (4-valleys, linked to Verbier).

Soldato
Just posted in the old thread. Group of 6 of us looking at Cervinia for March next year. Anyone been?

Yes - I have a few years ago

Snow - Always great late in the season, enjoyed a couple of powder days the last time I went
Runs - great if you like to put your foot down (boarder here), one of / if not the longest red run in Europe - 14km.
Apres - Not really a party resort, with only 1 or 2 bars, but still suitable with friends.
Park - A fairly small park, but does the job to have a little bit of fun
Price - Food prices are noticably cheaper then France

Linked with Zermatt at the top, which has its own set of pros / cons.

Would I go back? Yes without a doubt :)

Soldato
Japan is off for this year as couldn't find rustle up enough mates willing to drop the cash.

May do a week in Serbia again on the cheap.

Caporegime

If you like that sort of skiing have a look at Levi in Finland for another trip. Similar terrain (looking at the ski map/photos) but up in the Arctic. It's Lapland too so you could take the kids to see Santa/the reindeer and the northern lights. You can get ski holidays there surprisingly cheaply - a lot cheaper than the advertised Santa trips - with most of the major companies.

EDIT: Just saw half term... Maybe not then...

Just confirmed another season doing some volunteer stuff at Lake Louise. Now wishing the summer away so it'll snow again. :/

Also hopefully going to try a couple of resorts in the US this year. We were going to last season but plans fell through.

Associate
Hi guys after a bit of guidance. I'm looking to arrange a weekends skiing for 4-6 people, going out Thursday 1st March evening and coming back the following Monday, so three full days skiing. Struggling for location at the moment. Thought about Val Thorens, but for 4 nights accommodation the sites i have looked at only suggest very expensive hotels. Any suggestions for websites that could cater for this length of trip?

Cheers

Associate
current plans are somewhere in reach of Geneva around 12th March, group of 10 as part of a 60th Birthday celebration. Fancying Morzine/Avoriaz as pretty much the only of the larger French ski-areas I haven't ski'd at. Will have to see how the plan develops!

Caporegime
Probably going to get a pair of Smith goggles for this season, anyone have a pair and have any comment on the chromapop lenses? Should I choose a specific one or just go with a nice colour? :p

Bazaars, have you tried Airbnb? Also see if you can find any owners advertising off the big sites.

Soldato
The missus needs to hire a snowboard and boots and thought about just booking a teen board as she's 5'2" so she's small enough but also mainly for a price.

Will they allow this or is it frowned upon? I know what the French are like :p

Back
Top Bottom