Snowboarding boots...

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm learning to snowboard at the mo and am off to La Plagne next March. Just had a quick question - can your snowboard boots also be worn when walking around the resort, or should you also bring another pair of winter boots? Seems a bit pointless if your board boots will do the job. What do you think?

Caporegime
Oh god no, you'll want to take some decent footwear for going out at night etc.

You'll be fine trapsing the few hundred yards at lunch/having a break, but when you're not actually going boarding, you'll want some shoes.

I usually just cope with trainers though tbh, I don't bother with hiking boots et al.

Soldato
Nah, way too stiff to wear around. They are ok for walking around on the mountain, no where near as awkward as Ski Boots, but once you get off the slopes, you'd definitely want to change footwear.

Associate
Oh god no, you'll want to take some decent footwear for going out at night etc.

You'll be fine trapsing the few hundred yards at lunch/having a break, but when you're not actually going boarding, you'll want some shoes.

I usually just cope with trainers though tbh, I don't bother with hiking boots et al.

ditto

keep some trainers in your bag, your feet will thank you, also walking a mile in ski boots is like 10 miles in trainers.

Soldato
Also I think a lot of people (who have never been to a resort before) don't realize that you don't have to do that much walking about in snow. Most places are very quick at clearing roads and especially pathways within the villages. You can wear trainers just fine.

Associate
Be careful with trainers, the roads/pavements that are cleared of snow tend to ice up pretty quickly so unless your shoe has a decent grip you'll slip quite a lot.

Permabanned
Be careful with trainers, the roads/pavements that are cleared of snow tend to ice up pretty quickly so unless your shoe has a decent grip you'll slip quite a lot.

I noticed something pretty cool the other day, which I'm going to buy as I'm off to Slovakia over Christmas and New Year and it'll be icy.

It's called 'Magic Spiker', a stretchy rubber grid with some steel spikes on the bottom to grip ice/snow. It fits in a pocket but stretches over shoes or trainers in seconds - great idea I thought. :cool:

This is them http://www.wookyungtech.com/index.html but I saw them for sale in my local https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com.

(no affiliation btw, I hope it's ok to post those links)

Soldato
I lived in a ski resort for two years and ice and trainers was only a problem on a handful of occasions... It's really not worth going to the trouble of buying spikes or taking hiking boots if you are going for a weeks holiday.

Soldato
Where in La Plagne are you staying? I've been there a couple of times and there are quite a few chalet's which are on the snow and have some very badly maintained paths, you do not want to be caught there with low grip footwear.

Man of Honour
Where in La Plagne are you staying? I've been there a couple of times and there are quite a few chalet's which are on the snow and have some very badly maintained paths, you do not want to be caught there with low grip footwear.

It depends how drunk you are, you might just put it down to alcohol if you are slipping all over the place. :p

As has been said, snowboard boots are infinitely more comfortable than ski boots for walking but still nowhere near comfortable enough to travel more than a few hundred yards unless you absolutely have to.

Soldato
OP

La Plagne 1800. Will it be that cold there in mid march do you think?

Soldato
Nah, way too stiff to wear around. They are ok for walking around on the mountain, no where near as awkward as Ski Boots, but once you get off the slopes, you'd definitely want to change footwear.

Ski boots look a lot cooler than snowboarding ones though! almost to the point that i wish i could buy some to wear out in the evening :)

Soldato
Is that due to the fact you feel like a Terminator in ski boots.

Funyn trick you can do in ski boots, as you can bend so far it makes doing the Michael Jackson thing where his nose basically touches the floor when he leans forward.

Dig your boots as far as you can in the snow, then lean forward and you can basically kiss the floor :p

Soldato
It's certainly possible if you loosen the tongue and laces, however will no way be as comfortable as normal shoes. Also may cause wear to the boot as you are wearing it in a manner it wasn't designed for.

I picked these up last year, Salomon F Limited's (AKA Stormtrooper boots):

salomon06418777.jpg

Like scaffold when you board, coupled with my Burton C60 CF bindings, its like being up to the knee in a dried lightweight concrete block.

Absolute hell to walk in though, but it's not what they were really designed for.

Soldato
I like to leave me trainers beside an open window while im snowboarding. My feet get so hot wrapped up in snowboard boots all day and it feels so good to have a nice comfortable, cool pair of trainers to change into. :)

Back
Top Bottom