1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

So, decided on a 3080? Which manufacturer and why?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Dave Burton, 10 Sep 2020.

1. Dave Burton

Hitman

Per title, who's brand are you going to go for, and what made you choose them? Personally, I think I'm going Gigabyte for their warranty being Uk based, and the more than helpful rep here :)

What say you, the masses?

2. Glanza

Capodecina

Founders edition

3. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

MSI, Gaming X-Trio, had my X-Trio 2070 Super for over a year now, and its a fantastic card, very cool and quiet too.

4. oweneades

Sgarrista

Which ever one that is a) not stupidly overpriced compared to the competition (looking at you Asus) and, b) will work in my NZXT H1.

The vertical design and position of the GPU in the H1 means, from what I can tell at least, the Founders design is not ideal.

5. Vogon

Mobster

Likely basic Giga or MSI for me, depending on pricing. I haven't completely ruled out the FE yet, but suspect the cooler won't be up to the job of both cool and quiet …. luckily there might be some info on that on the 14th :)

Last edited: 10 Sep 2020
  6. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

Wait for the reviews, due to the unusual nature of the cards I am sure there will be some surprises from the different vendors as to how good or bad the individual cards are.

7. Bravetart

Gangster

FE. Pricing and no plastic disco being the main draw.

But if it does badly in heat/noise tests then might reconsider. We'll see on Monday.

8. Poneros

Soldato

Eagle OC.

Cheap, proven cooler, has 2 HDMI 2.1 outputs, and Gigabyte has RMA bases close by. What else is there?
    Might go Gaming OC depending on reviews & price difference, for that 2nd bios, but otherwise the rest are just too expensive for what would be a 5% difference at most for easily $100 more.

9. clone

Soldato

EVGA best support and warranty out there.

10. TangoEchoAlpha

Wise Guy

Whichever is not stupidly overpriced and has a waterblock available. Thinking of the EVGA iCX3, Zotac Trinity or the Gigabyte Eagle/Gaming at the moment.

11. marcus_667

Wise Guy

ditto

12. Bazippy

Gangster

If i get one its going to be the Founders edition (reviews pending) just looks well made and swish. Looks only matter the day you open the box though. So its review dependent.

13. R3aL1Ty

Associate

I am really liking the Zotac Trinity at the moment.. More worried on availability on the day though.
    For me i'm not too interested in the FE cards

Although (somewhat over priced in my eyes) i like the MSI Trio too

14. TNA

Capodecina

Heads up, that no longer the case apparently. No longer in UK and it’s gone downhill.

15. Rup

Gangster

FE, for pricing mainly.

16. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

I think I want the Inno3D iChill X4. If it fits my case that is. If not the EVGA XC3.

17. Sparx

Mobster

EVGA definitely give less Fs about their UK customer base as mentioned lately. Closing down the UK RMA centre namely and seemed to have binned their UK social media accounts with it (no posts since Jul-Nov’19)

But I think they can still provide ‘good service’. Just the costly shipping to Germany being the main problem. And clearly a lack of focus on the UK customer base being a kick in the face.

Still I think it’s enough to turn me off them... Personally thinking FE, Gigabyte or Zotac for my 3080 choice. All have UK RMA bases.

Like everyone else though, decision pending the FE reviews on Monday.

18. Guest2

Capodecina

Are nuts.
    Hopefully EVGA support see this and can confirm if it’s the case. I’m sure an EVGA support account existed in these forums not long ago
    I would buy EVGA based on my previous 4 or 5 GPUs and PSU but now not sure

19. Jae-So

Mobster

Zotac for me. Good warranty and my current one has been excellent.

20. Nbuilder

Gangster

I am probably going with a founders edition, never used anything else. Pretty unfortunate to hear about EVGA's downscaling of their UK operations, I have never had an issue with their cards.